Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Reaching out here. Not sure if this is the right place.

Looking at a 2007 6MT TRD with 60k miles. Everything seemed good until I got the news that they were having to put in a new transmission. So my first thought: how has this thing been driven or what is wrong with it that it needs a new transmission at 60k?

I do like the vehicle, but wondered if this is a common issue or should I have concern?

I currently own a 2007 6MT with 34k and the transmission is like new.

·
Premium Member
12,417 Posts
Huh? Did they say why or an explanation? I'm driving an '07 6MT with 190K mi with zero problems and the OEM clutch,

Something smells fishy....

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,912 Posts
"New Transmission at 14 Years?"

FTFY

But seriously, what was the diagnosis? Something have a catastrophic failure? Can happen, even at 60 if fluids are not changed ect.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven’t gotten to talk to the service technician yet, only the salesman I’ve been working with, so not sure about the exact diagnosis. I know he said it was ‘making a sound’ - big detailed description there.

Also talked to my uncle, who has owned his own large mechanic shop for decades, and he stated that it could be that the guy was driving off road (rock crawling, etc) and hit the drive shaft on a rock and bent it ever so slightly. Doesn’t make the vehicle drive too badly much of the time, but will eventually wear down the transmission. Was told if you replace the transmission, clutch, and drive shaft, it’s as good as new.

I’m just wondering if the transmission is a normal quirk for a 6MT or not. I’d assume they are top notch transmissions.

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,912 Posts
They have a very common throwout bearing problem, but if the trans still works but makes a noise using the clutch its typically just the bearing. I wouldnt take much of anything as truth from a salesman (without knowing if they are a 'car guy' or whatnot). Could also be as simple as a U-joint going bad if not greased regularly. Sounds like it wasnt driven very regularly anyway.

·
Premium Member
12,417 Posts
" making a sound"

Like a chirping noise? If so.....worst case scenario is a throw out bearing and clutch replacement.

Reactions: Jamjam

·
Premium Member
12,417 Posts
They have a very common throwout bearing problem, but if the trans still works but makes a noise using the clutch its typically just the bearing. I wouldnt take much of anything as truth from a salesman (without knowing if they are a 'car guy' or whatnot). Could also be as simple as a U-joint going bad if not greased regularly. Sounds like it wasnt driven very regularly anyway.
Ture....my clutch has been chirping for 13 years it is still going strong.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
it is pretty common for a dealer to replace the throwout bearing (and clutch) if they have an MT with a chirping noise on a used FJ they are going to sell, because of the known issue

Note that someone posted on here once about one that failed so bad it took out the spool on the front of the case, which did require a new transmission, but everyone else has had only a noise and that's all, and some of them for many, many miles.

I bet the salesman simply heard they were going to pull the trans and told you "new transmission". It will be interesting to hear what your service tech actually say it is.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
I haven’t gotten to talk to the service technician yet, only the salesman I’ve been working with, so not sure about the exact diagnosis. I know he said it was ‘making a sound’ - big detailed description there.

Also talked to my uncle, who has owned his own large mechanic shop for decades, and he stated that it could be that the guy was driving off road (rock crawling, etc) and hit the drive shaft on a rock and bent it ever so slightly. Doesn’t make the vehicle drive too badly much of the time, but will eventually wear down the transmission. Was told if you replace the transmission, clutch, and drive shaft, it’s as good as new.

I’m just wondering if the transmission is a normal quirk for a 6MT or not. I’d assume they are top notch transmissions.
If the rear driveshaft was bent severely enough to cause a bearing to fail, the failed bearing would have been in the transfer case, NOT the transmission. The driveshafts are connected to the transfer case, not the transmission, and the transmission output shaft bearing is completely isolated from driveshaft loads.

Something definitely sounds fishy here, or something was lost in the communication chain.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of your input. Great stuff to keep in mind when talking to the tech and dealership. I’ll let you all know what I learn after a talk with them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ended up being a throw out bearing issue. Dealership decided to simply replace the transmission.

After replacing the transmission, however, dealership still heard a noise and it looks like there is an engine issue.

I had asked for a new clutch to be installed at my cost for parts, while they had the transmission out.

Great dealership. Gave me my full down payment back, didn’t charge for any cost of the clutch.

Hate the vehicle ended up not being what we thought it was, as it was a 2007 TRD SE, but great dealership and back on the market, so if anyone runs into an fj with under 70k miles and under $20k (preferably from a dealer), let me know. Ha

Thanks for all the help and information on this issue. Love the forum.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
A dealership that goes from a throwout bearing to a transmission to an engine in my book isn't worth a sh*t. I'd start looking for a new place to work on your car because they are not going to be around much longer.That is just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
12,417 Posts
Dang....sounds like every little noise is an issue for this dealership and it needs to replaced vs repaired. I would steer clear of this place.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A dealership that goes from a throwout bearing to a transmission to an engine in my book isn't worth a sh*t. I'd start looking for a new place to work on your car because they are not going to be around much longer.That is just my 2 cents.
I felt the dealership operated with a lot of integrity, they simply didn’t know what they had at first.

I put money down a day after they got it in on trade, before photos even went up, so they hadn’t yet done the mechanical inspection. The down payment was, of course, pending a positive inspection.

Also to note this was a Chevrolet dealership, so not the most knowledgeable about Toyota, but worked closely with the local Toyota dealership on this vehicle’s repairs.

And the dealership is about 2,500 miles from me, so not getting it cuts out a big drive I was going to be making.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts