Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G,

I read your post on the xr-underground forum about the new TRD CAI running the engine too lean and your recommendation for those running superchargers to avoid this CAI.

Is that still the case? What about N/A folks?

Is there an easy fix for the issue?

I'm currently running the stock intake with my TRD SC. Since I am still under warranty the new TRD CAI is appealing because it specifically indicates that it is compatible with the TRD SC, where as the previous aFe/TRD version was not(because it was not CARB compliant).

Thanks.

[edit] Gadgets response here in this thread.
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...123880-new-trd-cai-supercharger-installs.html

·
Vendor
542 Posts
Still getting reports from all over that the problem still exists.

Many reports coming from Toyota dealer mechanics getting lean codes right after installation of the intake system.

G

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Gadget. Based on your posts at xr-underground, I ordered an aFe from URD. Should be here Monday!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Is anyone tried to correct the TRD CAI lean issue with honeycomb airflow straightener?

Ø 100 mm comb would fit nicely to the airbox connection.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,621 Posts
Is anyone tried to correct the TRD CAI lean issue with honeycomb airflow straightener?

Ø 100 mm comb would fit nicely to the airbox connection.
How would that work?

My issue has been the red rubber sleeve slipping off the black plastic and creating a gap for unfiltered air and coding p0101. Has happened repeatedly (only when wheeling) despite MANY different attempted solutions. Conclusion of Toyota: "It's just bad design" :lol:

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
How would that work?

My issue has been the red rubber sleeve slipping off the black plastic and creating a gap for unfiltered air and coding p0101. Has happened repeatedly (only when wheeling) despite MANY different attempted solutions. Conclusion of Toyota: "It's just bad design" :lol:
I've gotten some P0101, P0158, and P0156 codes that Scott (UCON guy) says are all related to my snorkel and CAI. But I don't have any issues with the couplings coming apart. I have the original TRD (made by AFE) CAI. I've been thinking about using a straightener.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
How would that work?

I installed the honeycomb few weeks ago. It helped a little, maybe 2% LTFT. Not much, maybe just worth it. It was very easy to install, fitted just like I thought. This is 3/4" thick version from Saxon PC:

I have never had any problems with this, with Unichip it works nicely even with TRD SC. I have used OEM 4Runner/2010+ FJ filter in this for a while, the K&N version is not so good, there is always some leak under the cover and just extra work to wash and lube it.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I just ordered one from Treadstone. Maybe it'll fix my issues, which according to the UCON guru are related to having a snorkel with the TRD S/C.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I just ordered one from Treadstone. Maybe it'll fix my issues, which according to the UCON guru are related to having a snorkel with the TRD S/C.

I haven't got any codes on my setup but I'm running stage 1. However I do sometimes get a slight hesitation or misfire feeling under slight throttle/acceleration load. Hopefully it's not valve/lifter related...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I haven't got any codes on my setup but I'm running stage 1. However I do sometimes get a slight hesitation or misfire feeling under slight throttle/acceleration load. Hopefully it's not valve/lifter related...

What intake setup do you have, and what pulley? I've got Safari snorkel + TRD/AFE CAI + 2.825" pulley. Even on Stage 1 it thew P0101/P0156/P0158 about every 100-150 miles. Never affects how it drives, I just clear it and move on. Also are you on a TRD reflash ECU, or a stock ECU? I need to pull the snorkel ad confirm it's actually my problem, just haven't gotten around to it.

I get the same hesitation feeling, and I know @shannon67 gets the same sometimes and he's got the URD S/C. It's something in the UCON, not a mechanical problem. Scott @ UCON told me a while back he was working on an updated firmware, but I haven't heard anything about it in months.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
What intake setup do you have, and what pulley? I've got Safari snorkel + TRD/AFE CAI + 2.825" pulley. Even on Stage 1 it thew P0101/P0156/P0158 about every 100-150 miles. Never affects how it drives, I just clear it and move on. Also are you on a TRD reflash ECU, or a stock ECU? I need to pull the snorkel ad confirm it's actually my problem, just haven't gotten around to it.

I get the same hesitation feeling, and I know @shannon67 gets the same sometimes and he's got the URD S/C. It's something in the UCON, not a mechanical problem. Scott @ UCON told me a while back he was working on an updated firmware, but I haven't heard anything about it in months.

I have snorkel with AFE cai and 2.8 pulley with stock ecu. I have not gotten any codes and I've driven 500+ miles since. Glad to hear it's not a mechanical problem. When I mentioned this to Scott he told me to remove the sprint booster and turn the snorkel head around which I've done and still get the hesitation under slight load sometimes. I'll email him back and see what he says. It would be hard to get a log since it occurs intermittently.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts