Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks for the pics guys. The aFe version will be fine. I'm just going to run with the "port" open since I have no concerns about water issues nor the bit of warm air it will let in at higher rpms.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
I hate california!!!!!!

Any dyno sheets that show the CAI even helps the SC??

California is the reason all Ducati, Aprilia and other ltalian motorcycles have to have charcoal boxes and CATS in the entire country and soon it will be all vehicles made here too. I wish the citizens would go Egyption on the california Gov.

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
... Any dyno sheets that show the CAI even helps the SC??..
From Gadget on xr-undergound:

What I think the significant fuel trim deviation is showing is that there is an induced MAF Sensor error caused by the intake system.

The fuel trim value is the amount of self correction the ECU applies the internal look up tables to get the fuel mixture where it is supposed to be in closed loop mode.

The MAF Sensor is calibrated to the stock tube it is installed in so it can provide precise air flow data to the ECU. When the MAF Sensor is moved to a different tube like an aftermarket intake that does not precisely duplicate the tube diameter and shape you can induce a calibration error and the MAF sensor will not provide accurate airflow data to the ECU.

If you move the MAF senor to a tube that is slightly larger than stock the same volume of air will pass the MAF sensor at a lower velocity and the MAF sensor will miss report the amount of air entering the engine, in the case less air than there actually is. This will cause the ECU to inject less fuel than it should. An example of this is the K&N intake for the 99+ 5VZ-FE applications.

The opposite of this can happen also. If the tube size is smaller than stock the same volume of air will pass the MAF sensor at a higher speed and the ECU will miss report that there is more air entering the engine than there is. This will make the ECU injector more fuel than it should. An example of this is the Volant intake for the 1GR-FE.

With this in mind what I believe the fuel trim data and lean AFR is showing for the new TRD intake for the 1GR-FE is that the tube size maybe larger than stock causing an induced MAF sensor error on the lean side. It could be from turbulence. It is hard to see turbulence on a scan tool or wideband, but the X-1 can show turbulence in the MAF sensor signal.

I have the initial prototype supercharger system up and running on the FJ Cruiser. It was two very long days of fabrication. I hope to get a dyno on it this week and spend some time tweaking and modifying the design. Once I am happy with it I will take it off to build the fixtures to produce the system. I hope to repeat the dyno tests with the X-1 while waiting for the production prototype parts to be available for test fitting.

The X-1 will do two things I think. First it will show if the induced MAF sensor error is being caused by turbulence or if it is a tube size issue. The next by stabilizing the AFR to a consistent value it will show if the power gain from the new TRD intake is from increased airflow, or by leaning out of fuel mixture. Remember I was able to get a 15 RWHP gain with the stock airbox and leaning it out with the URD MAF Sensor Calibrator.

Here is the dyno chart. I blew it up pretty good so you can see the slight differences.

The blue line is the stock airbox.

The red line is the aFe Stage 2 Si intake

The green line is the new TRD intake.

As you can see both the aFe and the new TRD make more power than stock and make pretty much the same power gain on the dyno. The new TRD is also running a good bit leaner than the aFe so the power gain may not be from increased airflow over stock as much as it maybe from a much leaner mixture. Future tests with the X-1 making the AFR consistent with all the intakes will give us a better idea of the airflow gain differences.

G

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Since the new "K&N" TRD CAI has issues, I went with the aFe Stage 2 Si. Here is a pic of the box contents. Hopefully I will find some time to install it this weekend.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Anyone know whats up with my TRD logo? It's got this black streak thing. Hope that cleans up.
I'd say its normal as it looks like that on mine as well. I think it is just from the machining process.

You see that metal hose bender piece that goes over the hose from the reservoir to the intercooler? You are supposed to have a black cover over that.
I omitted this step as well on mine. Bad idea. Due to the vibration of the engine, that coil will slowly start to wear through the aluminum intake. It did this on mine until i caught it. Some heater hose cut down one side and then wrapped over the metal coil will work. I then put the plastic electrical wiring loom/conduit over it and then secured it with zip ties. (this is what you are supposed to use but i felt that having the rubber hose in addition was better, i had some left over from when i covered the hoses when routing them)

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Is this the step? I'll check and see if the loom is still in my box.
Yes that is it. Split wire loom, that is the name i couldn't think of.

I went with some rubber hose in addition to the loom just for extra protection. It will start to wear through the aluminum supercharger body if left unattended. Mine is missing some paint. :(

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The throttle feels more responsive now and I can tell there is a bit more there than before(butt dyno). It is louder than stock but only when you really get into it.

I am happy with the upgrade. Swapping between the aFe and stock will be pretty quick, so I say get one and try it out. If you don't like it, you can put the stock one back on and sell the aFe, although I don't think you will. :)

Now, having said that about the aFe upgrade, I still want a bit better performance. For me the next step is a better tune. I'm still hopeful that the X1 will be available again. :rocker: I think that will get me to where I want to be.

So can you feel a difference down low with the AFE box? More sound any comments on it would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
The AFE/TRD intake by it self is loud (the good kind :) )
The S/C really drowns out the CAI though. I can barely hear it as much after i installed the S/C.

One thing you guys looking to eek more power out is this accelerator pedal device. It completely gets rid of the slight delay experienced when you step on the gas pedal to make it more instant. Let me see if i can find the link...

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/engine-performance/117397-sprint-booster.html#post1831640

http://www.urdusa.com/Electronics-P...Throttle-Calibration-Device/product_info.html

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Yeah, I agree Layton, the SC does pretty much drown out the CAI. But it's all good. :)

I think I'm going to try out the Sprint Booster. The "delayed throttle response" is one of the things that bothers me. Maybe if I get the Sprint Booster, I won't want the X1 any more... yeah right! :rofl:

The AFE/TRD intake by it self is loud (the good kind :) )
The S/C really drowns out the CAI though. I can barely hear it as much after i installed the S/C.

One thing you guys looking to eek more power out is this accelerator pedal device. It completely gets rid of the slight delay experienced when you step on the gas pedal to make it more instant. Let me see if i can find the link...

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/engine-performance/117397-sprint-booster.html#post1831640

Underdog Racing Development

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Thread revival here!!
I have a snorkel with the "old" style AFE CAI. I'm thinking about adding a SC.... what's the consensus now about having the old style CAI with a SC? Guy at Toyota tells me it will run lean and using the CAI will rob the SC of about 10HP (according to TRD dyno tests... part of why they say don't use em). I have customized my snorkel setup for the CAI and have dual batteries as well.....while I have the OEM intake I'm not sure how easy... or if I want... to go back.

Are there any workarounds? Once the ECM is reflashed is it possible to do any tuning/writing to make adjustments?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
You should be fine running the old TRD/aFe intake with your supercharger system.

A quick fuel trim/AFR test will confirm that for you.

G
Hey G,
Jose P in Santa Ana just did my header and exhaust setup and we were talking... He had great stuff to say about you guys. I def want to do this right... And it's my first SC so ALL new to me. When I get closer I'll try to connect with you to make sure I do it right.... Hopefully being able to keep the CAI/snorkel setup as is.
Is there anything I should do BEFORE the SC install (to prep) Or basically install the SC (Toyota install) and then adjust accordingly where necessary and possible?

·
Vendor
542 Posts
Just make sure you run a few tanks of premium fuel through it before the supercharger installation. Maybe a can or two of BG 44K to get the ports, intake valves and combustion chamber cleaned up.

If you have more than 30,000 miles on it you may want to do our fuel pump/filter upgrade kit.

G

·
Registered
423 Posts
21 - 40 of 43 Posts