Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Vendor
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
URD has just added two new exhaust systems to our line up.

We have a new a 304 Stainless Cat-Back for the FJ Cruiser and a Spec-U exhaust system for the FJ Cruiser. The Spec-U is a "manifold back" TUNED exhaust system that includes an equal length Y pipe and a dual muffler exhaust.

The system is similar, but different to our 4Runner exhaust systems. Here is a short video of the URD 4Runner doing a TUNNEL RIP with the URD Spec-U headers and URD Spec-U Exhaust:

https://youtu.be/CCRFwmJfID8

·
Vendor
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not have a picture yet of the actual production version. I do have a couple of the prototype. The production rolls down a hair and is cut on an angle that is pretty much even with the bottom of the bumper. Much like the other high tuck systems out there.

The loaner truck got sold and the guy upgraded to a Tundra TRD-Pro so I can't get him back in here.

If someone is local to us in Owings MD with a stock bumper truck and wants a free install contact us. That way we can get some nice pictures.

G

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Is the y-pipe included with the spec-u full kit the same as your stand-alone y-pipe? Wondering if it's possible to buy the exhaust in stages instead of as a complete package.

·
Vendor
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, the Y pipe for the Spec-U system is unique and is only available as a complete assembly. We still offer the original URD Y pipe and now a URD Cat-Back if you want to go that way.

G

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Thanks, you answered me in my emails as well. I'll post up some installed pictures hopefully this weekend.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Any pics of this yet? Looking for exhaust now.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
The Spec-U system is an equal-length system from the headers back, they did this by bending the y-pipe in a different shape than the competition y-pipe. Not sure what actual sound and performance differences there are. The Spec-U y-pipe crosses behind the t-case above the frame rails and interfered with my Ricochet skid plate crossmember. The competition y-pipe crosses under the transmission. Shannon67 has this y-pipe and I don't believe he had to modify his skids, but YMMV. Both y-pipes remove the second set of cats.

There are some pictures in my build thread. Exhaust system is good but not perfect. The tip exits almost 2" below the rear crossmember. Would probably be flush with the stock bumper, but it hangs below my aftermarket bumper. Cut about 1/2" off after my first day in Moab, may but a bit more off. I also cut about 1" off the pipe between the muffler and tip to tuck the tip up further under the truck.

Because the y-pipe crosses under where the rear driveshaft connects to the t-case I managed to melt all the grease out of that u-joint and slip joint. I started hearing a very loud, machine gun-type noise under my truck on my way home from CO. Haven't 100% diagnosed it but I think cooking out all the grease is the culprit. I'd highly recommend wrapping the y-pipe by the transfer case in high-heat header wrap. I plan to do this, regrease the slip joint, and replace the u-joint and see if my noise goes away. Could also be my rear diff so I'm not 100% sure melting the grease out is to blame for my noise, but it definitely happened.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts