Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just installed the new Volant Cold Air Intake on my FJ. I downloaded the pictures in the photo gallery. If you can't find them try using keyword search Volant Cold Air and that will bring you to the photo's. I couldn't download them in this area.

Let me know what you think. I'll give you a performance update soon!

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
Nice Install.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Looks good!:bigthumb: Nice install!!!:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recieved mine yesterday in the mail....however, their was a tiny hole in the bottom of the box.....you could probably fill in the end of the story...

Anyhow opened up the box and 1/2 the hardware was missing....sigh....called up volant and the new shipment of hardware is in the mail.

Friggin UPS :flame:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input! Also thanks for the help with the picture uploads that's what I was trying to do last night. As for the test drive today I was pumped to test out the new install and had to get on the throttle a little more than usual today. Better throttle response and not too loud but has a nice sound to it. In a week I will let you know if there's any mpg increase.

·
Premium Member
17,154 Posts
Looks nice!

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Wow, that box looks huge (almost looks like the hood won't shut)!

Definitely a nice setup. Does it use a proprietary air filter, or does it accept the stock Toyota filter? If it uses a proprietary one, do you know how much replacements run?

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Wow, that box looks huge (almost looks like the hood won't shut)!

Definitely a nice setup. Does it use a proprietary air filter, or does it accept the stock Toyota filter? If it uses a proprietary one, do you know how much replacements run?
Funny you mention that... :lol:

I originally hooked up with Volant when I was looking for CAI's for a group buy when we finally figured we couldn't get a TRD ever for less than $300. They sent me a 4Runner intake to test fit for them which didn't fit at all. It really was HUGE, but they thought I had a 4.7L in this thing, which we all know I don't.

They then sent me the Tacoma 4.0L intake and it bolted right up! I was stoked!! I went to shut the hood to take it for a spin and BAM! There is just enough difference in the Taco vs. FJ engine bay to prevent the intakes from being interchangeable, and my FJ hood was stuck open :(. So they redesigned the box, and this is the new FJ specific application.

They are killer intakes and I am sure jessera will be very pleased. I am suprised to hear it is not louder though. Maybe because the plastic is so damn thick? This might keep things a little cooler too.

In the end it all worked out for me with the aFe intakes and group buys, as now we have a great forum relationship with aFe (who just released an exhaust to complement their intake). Still, I like to see competition with great products and Volant is a GREAT product. The only other intake I would consider besides my aFe. (I lump TRD's in with aFe's too because, well, they make 'em)

Cheers

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Is there room for a second battery between the box and the firewall?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To answer some of the questions floating around on the Volant CAI:

1. You can not use a stock airfilter from the FJ in this unit. I imagine you could put a K&N or something similar in it though. The filter I have is a Procore filter made by Volant. It's a new filter that is rated at 100,000 miles before you have to service it and it's supposed to be a better breathing unit than most replacement filters. It's also a dry filter which I liked that idea because I don't have to oil it. I bought the Volant CAI intake and filter as a package for on autoanything.com. I think the filters by themselves are expensive but I don't plan on replacing it anytime soon.

2. The airbox is very thick plastic so it does not emit a lot of noise but when you gas it you can hear it.

3. The airbox is a tight fight under the hood but it does not hit anything it closes just fine. I am not sure if you can fit an extra battery in there though.

And YES I am very happy with it. Happy Trails!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts