Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

New way to secure antenna with Bandi mount

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  SenseiSmash 
#1 · (Edited)
I saw an ad for a black antenna spring and decided to see how long of a fiberglass antenna I could attach and still be able to clear garage doors, drive-thrus and parking garages. This would require some hardware to wrangle such a long antenna. I also was interested in the Humvee antenna look.

For reference.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

I've had a 4' Firestick on a fold-over adapter for years. This allowed the antenna to tuck neatly behind the spare tire since the 4' wouldn't clear my garage opening. 4' is as long as you can go without it sticking out past the body. To keep that antenna from bouncing around, I used a bungee cord to hold it to the tire. This was not elegant or attractive. I could also use the rear window wiper arm to hold it which worked beautifully, but then I couldn't use the wiper.
This is where the 5.5' Francis Hot Rod pretuned flexible fiberglass antenna comes in to play. Its much more bendy than a Firestick. And I found JOE'S brand helmet hooks which mount to 1.75" tubing to hold the antenna to the roof rack. I plastidipped the hooks for a little extra padding. The black spring is a Marketty SS-3H. A regular stainless spring would have probably been better since the end of the anteanna and the coax adapter are both silver. Of course everything mentioned here is from the internet Megastore that I don't have to name.
Overall, I'm happy that this worked at all and amazed that it worked so well. It clears the body well and is easier to deploy and stow than my previous setup. The SWR is almost nonexistent (<1.2) thanks to its overall height which extends about 4' above the body. Total height is between 9.5 and 10'.

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice! I have a 4 ft fire stick thats on bandi with quick disconnect somehow the disconnect broke and I can't get it apart so it's always up.
Didn't even cross my mind to tuck it under my rhino rack. Thanks man!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.