Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting the build on my M100 and first will be addressing the running gear. Since no one knows what or when maintenance was done to it I want to put on new wheel bearings, but am reluctant to tear it apart and have to wait to find parts. Does anyone know the part numbers, brand, etc or a source for them. I know if I tear it apart and get numbers that napa can probably cross reference them, but I would like to keep it movable as long as possible and have the replacements when I tear it down. thanks

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I went ahead and disassembled it and found the bearing numbers if anyone else needs them just pm me.

·
Desert Moderator
6,451 Posts
I went ahead and disassembled it and found the bearing numbers if anyone else needs them just pm me.
It would be really helpful if you could post the part numbers here so people won't have to bug you or if you're not around for whatever reason.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bearing is a Bower # 18590 , the race is bower # 18520 and the grease seal is #805150. Also the jeep bearing # is 52942 and the race is #52943. These parts as well as the hub on the M100 are the same as the front of the jeep from 1941 to 62. Hope this makes it easier for someone in the future.

·
Desert Moderator
6,451 Posts
Good to know - thanks for posting!
The bearing is a Bower # 18590 , the race is bower # 18520 and the grease seal is #805150. Also the jeep bearing # is 52942 and the race is #52943. These parts as well as the hub on the M100 are the same as the front of the jeep from 1941 to 62. Hope this makes it easier for someone in the future.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a little note of warning to anyone who is tempted to take a short cut. When I jacked up the trailer in preparation to change the bearings, I spun the wheels and they were very smooth and quiet with no side play to the point where I was almost of a mind to assume that all was well and just to use it as is and carry an extra set of bearings for insurance. Then thankfully the little voice of reason took over and told me not to be an idiot. These trailers were built over 60 years ago and use and maintenance was uncertain at best, so I went ahead with the disassembly.
As the process unfolded I found everything was rusted and seized up. The screws that hold the drum to the hub required an impact driver to get them to break free finally and as with most of these little trailers the bearing nuts had been tightened and removed with a hammer and chisel which buggered them up. When I removed one side the bearings fell out of the retainer. The grease had been in there so long that it had congealed. In spite of being tight and quiet they were a mess. I quickly was able to realize that they would not have survived a long road trip and would have been very difficult if not impossible to change on the roadside.
So just some advise to anyone who is salvaging on of these little trailers, don't assume anything, take it apart and replace the wear parts. It is also a good idea to get the proper bearing nut socket ( 2 1/16,) and add it to your emergency tool kit along with enough bearings to do one wheel on the road. Also if you will be hauling long distances as I do ( 1600 miles just to get to Colorado ) a 2 year remove and repack schedule is a good idea. If you do it on a regular basis it will not take long to do and you won't be having to do it on the side of I 40.
I am sure most of you find this to be standard operating procedure, but hopefully it may save someone some grief.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts