Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got the new wheels & Tires put on my wife's 07 FJ today....she LOVES it..

The Cooper Discoverer AT/3 XLT (http://us.coopertire.com/tires/discoverer-at3-xlt.aspx) tires are pretty awesome so far...the old Michelin's were old and dry rotted even though they had lots of tread (bought FJ from a woman in her late 50's that hardly drove it)

Bilstein 5100's will be here Monday so I'll get around to installing those next week to level it off..

Right now as it sits, absolutely NO modifications and no rub that I've found, but I haven't got to check with the wheels at full turn on an incline/decline which is where I think they'll possibly rub.

Attachments

·
Vendor
2,528 Posts
I got the new wheels & Tires put on my wife's 07 FJ today....she LOVES it..

The Cooper Discoverer AT/3 XLT (Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT | Cooper Tire) tires are pretty awesome so far...the old Michelin's were old and dry rotted even though they had lots of tread (bought FJ from a woman in her late 50's that hardly drove it)

Bilstein 5100's will be here Monday so I'll get around to installing those next week to level it off..

Right now as it sits, absolutely NO modifications and no rub that I've found, but I haven't got to check with the wheels at full turn on an incline/decline which is where I think they'll possibly rub.
Awesome look with the new tires and wheels. Glad to see you had the opportunity to put a smile on your wife's face. Great job. :rocker:

You may need to do a BMC but it is very easy to do. I am running the same size tires on my wife's 07 FJ Cruiser with a leveling kit and had some rubbing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The tires look great! I just had 285/75R16 Nitto Ridge Grappler's put on my 2010 TT FJ (stock suspension) this week, and have no rubbing issues. May put on a RadFlow 2-3" lift later, but really don't want to dink with the suspension.

My next project is an Expedition 1 Mule roof rack, hopefully it will delivered this week.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think the XLTs come in a 285/70R 17. Vs the 265/70R 17s that are stock. They are pretty pricey compared to the regular Discoverer AT3s. They seem like a lot more tire though. I’ll know pretty soon if they rub, as I’m having a set put on today. I put 5100s all around last summer. I realize they don't help much with a rubbing issue, but I’m hoping to avoid doing a BMC if I can.
I’m coming from geolander ATs that have 70,000 miles on them. I’ve been getting 20 mpg with the geolanders, I’m hoping the 10 plys, and larger tires don’t hammer the MPGs too bad. Got a trip planned in a few months, I’ll be pulling a small trailer. Didn’t want to do it on the fairly worn geolanders.

·
トヨタ Master
5,777 Posts
I think the XLTs come in a 285/70R 17. Vs the 265/70R 17s that are stock. They are pretty pricey compared to the regular Discoverer AT3s. They seem like a lot more tire though. I’ll know pretty soon if they rub, as I’m having a set put on today. I put 5100s all around last summer. I realize they don't help much with a rubbing issue, but I’m hoping to avoid doing a BMC if I can.
I’m coming from geolander ATs that have 70,000 miles on them. I’ve been getting 20 mpg with the geolanders, I’m hoping the 10 plys, and larger tires don’t hammer the MPGs too bad. Got a trip planned in a few months, I’ll be pulling a small trailer. Didn’t want to do it on the fairly worn geolanders.
I've got XLTs on my truck and standard AT3s on the Mrs 4Runner. You can't go wrong with either. There is slightly more gap between the center rubber and the outer lugs on the XLTs but that's about it. Oh, and the sidewalls are more aggressive looking. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've got XLTs on my truck and standard AT3s on the Mrs 4Runner. You can't go wrong with either. There is slightly more gap between the center rubber and the outer lugs on the XLTs but that's about it. Oh, and the sidewalls are more aggressive looking. :bigthumb:
Thx. They look good.. Still haven’t actually driven with them. I told the guy here running the shop that they may rub. Then I got ahold of my son (has welder) about the BMC. He’s a Wrangler guy (heavy duty rock crawler) he’s looking forward to cutting into my FJ.

·
トヨタ Master
5,777 Posts
Thx. They look good.. Still haven’t actually driven with them. I told the guy here running the shop that they may rub. Then I got ahold of my son (has welder) about the BMC. He’s a Wrangler guy (heavy duty rock crawler) he’s looking forward to cutting into my FJ.
Careful! This is to a Jeep guy what a 10mm socket is to us. >:D

·
Registered
136 Posts
Haha! He hauls that thing all over the country to “wheel” it. He laughs, that he has to haul it, instead of drive it. He wants to be able to get home. He went to Colo and went something like 5 miles in 3 days. I like to do 5 passes in 3 days.

·
トヨタ Master
5,777 Posts
Really dig the look of these 4Runner TRD wheels on our FJs! I just installed a set of these on my 2013 TT with Duratrac 285s no rubbing either. Congrats on the FJ!
Um....those are actually stock wheels on a '14 FJ Cruiser, so......yeah. :grin

If you look at the silver one in the middle on the top of THIS page, you'll see them. I thought they looked good when they started putting them on 4RUnners too. :cheers:

https://www.hubcaphaven.com/p/11060/aly75154-toyota-4runner-fj-cruiser-wheel-grey-machined-4261135540.html

·
トヨタ Master
5,777 Posts
Same wheel tho, the T4Rs had black paint, the FJs silver. Two part numbers, same casting.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Got the tires mounted. Slow drive home in pouring rain. Seem fine so far lol, but I’ll find out more later. (How they effect mpg etc..). So far no rubbing, but I haven’t tried everything yet. They do look good. Even on 2010 original wheels. I’m not a white letter guy, so the lettering is inside. I’ll post a pic, if anyone wants to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
Got the tires mounted. Slow drive home in pouring rain. Seem fine so far lol, but I’ll find out more later. (How they effect mpg etc..). So far no rubbing, but I haven’t tried everything yet. They do look good. Even on 2010 original wheels. I’m not a white letter guy, so the lettering is inside. I’ll post a pic, if anyone wants to see.

Yes pictures please!

·
Registered
136 Posts
The rain finally let up a bit. I can’t get them to rub. Have a pretty good hill coming down my drive. Took pics of both fronts at extreme turn while on the hill. These are the XLTs 285/70 17s. I put on the bilstein 5100s all around. Brought the front end up a little over an inch. Im headed to the smoky mtns in a few weeks. Won’t be a ultimate test, but will be hitting some switchbacks at steep angles. So far no rub. 190,000 miles my shocks were originals.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts