• No, all is well in Windshield Land

Votes: 2,687 55.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 1492 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after the whole merged-thread fiasco of 2006, I feel the need to appease some members with a new windshield thread. I understand it's important to show Toyota that this is indeed a design flaw, and I realize that a lot of people are relying on this data.

And please...don't ask me to merge this with anything else :D

Share your windshield stories here. If you'd like the poll titles changed to what they used to be, I can do that as well...just remind me.

Thanks.

Former thread here sans poll (for reference to comments)

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/toyota-fj-cruiser-polls/2993-front-windshield-yours-broken-yet.html

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
what is meant by "broken", exactly?

·
Registered
565 Posts
:flame: Well , I am just thrilled with all the problems you guys are having, I can't wait for mine to be ruined by a tiny rock.:flame: As I mentioned before, the xB has worse problems, and now the rav4 -- Toyota needs to get their sh*t together quick:slant:

·
Registered
89 Posts
:flame: Well , I am just thrilled with all the problems you guys are having, I can't wait for mine to be ruined by a tiny rock.:flame: As I mentioned before, the xB has worse problems, and now the rav4 -- Toyota needs to get their sh*t together quick:slant:
My xB has a broken one also and the dealer came up with some CRAP... finding a small rock ding and they said that made the 7 inch break in the windsheild... My FJ is 4 weeks old and so far so good...

·
Registered
253 Posts
if you really want to give this poll some clout, add some more options like.

no breakage so far but have noticed lots of chips from wimpy causes

or

oem windshield has weak glass surface that is chip prone

·
Registered
31 Posts
Had a chip with small cracks. I had it fixed, but I am not at all confident with it. I'm bringing it back tomorrow and will have them do it again. It cost $30.

It already looks pretty weather beaten, and it only has 7000 miles on it. Winter has not quite began in my parts, but the cold is setting in rapidly.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well, after the whole merged-thread fiasco of 2006, I feel the need to appease some members with a new windshield thread. I understand it's important to show Toyota that this is indeed a design flaw, and I realize that a lot of people are relying on this data.

And please...don't ask me to merge this with anything else :D

Share your windshield stories here. If you'd like the poll titles changed to what they used to be, I can do that as well...just remind me.

Thanks.

Former thread here sans poll (for reference to comments)

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/toyota-fj-cruiser-polls/2993-front-windshield-yours-broken-yet.html
Hi Bostonian - What are the chances of sending all these posts on the inferior glass of the FJ to ''whoever at Toyota'' in Japan?. Someone in charge of production who would actually do something about this serious problem and hopefully issue a recall to all owners!!? ASAP as this is getting rediculous as to the huge number of owners experiencing problems! Who and where can we send these to?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
At $1250 for the windshield and molding strip+ clips + install, and most of us have our insurance company pay for it..What makes you think Toyota will do anything about it ? They are probably laughing their asses off right now and gives the guy who designed the windshield a big bonus....Thats where they are making their money....

·
Registered
90 Posts
So far, so good for me but it's only been a month. Is the concensus with folks here that it's the quality of the glass that's the issue, rather than angle/placement of the windshield? I was thinking it was the latter using the rational that the general straight up and down angle makes it absorb the impact as a direct hit vs. a windshield with some slope that would immediately redirect some of the force of the impact. thoughts?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
So far, so good for me but it's only been a month. Is the concensus with folks here that it's the quality of the glass that's the issue, rather than angle/placement of the windshield? I was thinking it was the latter using the rational that the general straight up and down angle makes it absorb the impact as a direct hit vs. a windshield with some slope that would immediately redirect some of the force of the impact. thoughts?
If the latter is the case...How come Jeep and Hummer folks dont have this problem then ?

·
Registered
90 Posts
If the latter is the case...How come Jeep and Hummer folks dont have this problem then ?
A quick search on Google yielded some similar issues from Jeep owners, although it doesn't seem as wide spread as with the FJ. Check out FJ WINDSHIELDS and ROCKS don't mix - Tundra Solutions Forums, particularly the last couple of posts. The one big difference seems to be that a lot of the FJ damage is done by very small rocks, so perhaps it is the quality of the glass. Should be an interesting winter!

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
My FJC, A squirrel chucked an acorn at my windshield at 30mph... took a chip out of the windshield...

Wifes FJC, Caught a small stone at 50mph and Cracked the windshield...

·
Registered
1 Posts
My windshield cracked within the first 2000 miles at the carwash. It seems to grow a little every day. I also caught a rock that chipped and spider-cracked on the opposite side. I thought I was just cursed until I found that many other FJ'rs were experiencing the same problem. $1,200 is insane for a windscreen!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 1/2 inch diameter ding. No idea of the cause as it happened at night with no other traffic around to throw up rocks. There were some trees around and lots of bugs. They grow hard headed bugs here in Texas I guess....

Got the guys at the carwash to drill and seal the ding, so far hasn't spread any further.

2400 miles on odometer.

Suggestion - if you want to consolidate the info in one place for Toyota's benefit, turn off the other windshield polls and amalgamate the results - admin should be able to do that.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
nothing yet..

I am about do make a 300 mile interstate drive in a few min. so knock on wood!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
A quick search on Google yielded some similar issues from Jeep owners, although it doesn't seem as wide spread as with the FJ. Check out FJ WINDSHIELDS and ROCKS don't mix - Tundra Solutions Forums, particularly the last couple of posts. The one big difference seems to be that a lot of the FJ damage is done by very small rocks, so perhaps it is the quality of the glass. Should be an interesting winter!
46,000+ FJ's this year built...At the rate the windshields are failing, every FJ will have to go thru at least one windshield in its life time....thats roughly about $57Millions in revenue in selling windshield and the molding....If Toyota doesnt change the quality of the windshield we all will still own and love our FJ. It would have to be a safety recall mandated by NHTSA for Toyota to make these changes voluntarily. So far these damages has nothing to do with safety.....

1 - 20 of 1492 Posts