Votes: 450 9.4%
  • No, all is well in Windshield Land

Votes: 2,687 55.9%

• Total voters
1441 - 1460 of 1492 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
As stated above, and I'm sure many more times, the windshield is straight up and down. I don't think it's "weak glass". I had an old cj5. Those would sure go through windshields. Maybe they were using the same glass as Toyota

·
Registered
50 Posts
Joined the chipped windshield club after 3,200 miles! Purposely chose my route to avoid known highway work but they were working on an overpass repair and as I drove by, something thrown up by a jackhammer hit my windshield. :mad:

Fortunately it is a chip and not a crack (at least yet!) and it is in a less conspicuous spot on the passenger's side. Hope to get it repaired the first of the week.

Based on what I read here when I first bought my FJ, I lowered my comprehensive deductible to zero in case I ever need to replace.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
On my 2nd FJ, and like the 1st.
I have 2 Chips in the first 5 months of ownership!

First big cold snap, and these 2 chips will join up, and I will be looking at a new windshield!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Early on in 2007 shortly after getting my Fj Cruiser, while driving down I-83. Something struck my windshield , it sounded like a ball bearing hitting it, it was so load. Drivers side lower corner, it almost looked like a circular hurricane, like you see on weather models when they are tracking a hurricane on the tube. It was about 4 inches in diameter.
Back in those days, broken Fj Cruiser windshields were extremely expensive to replace,we were all learning and going through our growing pains. But the interesting thing is, it was happening to a lot of us. Respecting Toyota like we all do, we waited patiently for a recall.
However it never came ! I told myself, I would drive it with its war wounds, until it looked like a venetian blind, and I did. Just this year 2014, I had it repaired. There are still issues out there, with glass mechanics removing the moldings around the windshied. So after a lot of thought, I let the dealer replace it using aftermarket glass. Given a Toyota windshield
is $1200.00 just for the glass, versus about $300.00 aftermarket. The main reason I opted to let the dealer replace it was, their familiarity with the moulding. After reading all the horror stories of moulding flying off, while driving down the highway. Surprisingly the total cost of the job, came to about $860.00. I didn't think that as to bad, given it was the dealer. The Fj shares its high cost for windshield replacements with its cousin Lexus. Just remember, the Fj Cruiser windshield is a Rock Magnet !

·
Registered
1 Posts

The first chip was 2 days after my purchase of the vehicle. My insurance company provides "chip repair" at no charge so i called and a person was dispatched to fill the chip. I thought, Cool! 2 days later i got 2 chips within about 20 minutes of each other and i thought, "Oh no". As of today you can see how many chips are on my windshield. I also have a crack now between 2 of the biggest chips. All of these chips have occurred within the first 6 months of ownership. I also have 2 places on my hood where rocks have chipped the paint. Because I live in Alaska, I'm used to a cracked windshield, but I've never experienced so many cracks in so little time. Even my old wrangler didn't catch this many rocks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi all

I have purchased from weather tech wind deflector but since I fixed it on my FJ I still hear air noise

Is this normal ?

I though it was suppose to make the care more quite
It is normal. A window deflector does not stop air flow it just redirects it. It makes less air flow into the window but the same amount of air is still present it just goes in a different direction.

Where there is air flow there is noise.

·
Registered
21 Posts
2007 FJ, I have broken and replaced three windshields in 3 years of ownership. All three of them had "running cracks" that developed from a star crack.
So, on this one, the fourth one, I got a got a huge star crack right in the middle-middle, after only one month of having been replaced!!! Yes each time the best quality glass according to my reputable windshield guy,

I quickly had a star crack guy fix it and it came with a guarantee,,,,,just sold the vehicle with that star crack, and it never grew to a running crack (about 6 months).

I must have brain damage cuz I recently purchased a new to me 2010 FJ, cuz I like the damn things so much, Just going to roll with if it happens again, but they are costing me 280.00 each. Anyone know if there is a better price?,,,,sorry if that has been answered in this thread I have not read through this post yet,, It just caught my eye and I had to vent a little bit!.

This new FJ that I have owned for about a month has 35K on it and the windshield only has small star chips,,,,

Maybe I am the bad luck guy that will make it happen again,,,yes I look ahead for trucks debris etc etc,
I went twenty or so years without cracking windshields and I use to think it was crazy how it always eemed to happen to others.

The only real thing that has changed for me, is that I do drive a lot slower and I am not in the "fast" lane nearly as often as I used to be. I used to always speed and I was always in the fast lane. Last five or so years I have slowed down and I am in the number 3 and 4 lanes a lot,,,I just move over and speed up 0to get out from behind the trucks/trailers etc.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,838 Posts
2007 FJ, I have broken and replaced three windshields in 3 years of ownership. All three of them had "running cracks" that developed from a star crack.
So, on this one, the fourth one, I got a got a huge star crack right in the middle-middle, after only one month of having been replaced!!! Yes each time the best quality glass according to my reputable windshield guy,

I quickly had a star crack guy fix it and it came with a guarantee,,,,,just sold the vehicle with that star crack, and it never grew to a running crack (about 6 months).

I must have brain damage cuz I recently purchased a new to me 2010 FJ, cuz I like the damn things so much, Just going to roll with if it happens again, but they are costing me 280.00 each. Anyone know if there is a better price?,,,,sorry if that has been answered in this thread I have not read through this post yet,, It just caught my eye and I had to vent a little bit!.

This new FJ that I have owned for about a month has 35K on it and the windshield only has small star chips,,,,

Maybe I am the bad luck guy that will make it happen again,,,yes I look ahead for trucks debris etc etc,
I went twenty or so years without cracking windshields and I use to think it was crazy how it always eemed to happen to others.

The only real thing that has changed for me, is that I do drive a lot slower and I am not in the "fast" lane nearly as often as I used to be. I used to always speed and I was always in the fast lane. Last five or so years I have slowed down and I am in the number 3 and 4 lanes a lot,,,I just move over and speed up 0to get out from behind the trucks/trailers etc.

If it was just you being the "bad luck guy", there wouldn't be a bunch of windshield threads and complaints. I owned my FJ from Aug '06 to April '14 and in that 7 1/2 years I had 9 windshields. One of them had something like 25 chips, a horizontal crack about 6-8" up from the bottom with a vertical crack real close to the middle from top to bottom with at least 3 branches off of it and a couple off the horizontal. I joked with my windshield that I wanted to make it easier with light pieces for him to remove. Hell the last windshield I put in I drove home and 23 hours after it was replaced I took a rock and got a chip and had to get a repair made. I live in basically the middle of no where and drive the back roads more than the main roads. I got chips on the Interstate, the local highways, and in town. I even cracked my own windshield when driving down a dirt road when a rock flipped up off the tire in front of me and hit the windshield as I caught up to it. Up until the FJ I had a total of 3 windshields in a '90 Toyota pickup and that was it in the 25-30 years of driving I've done.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
I have 3 small chip (one supposedly repaired) after 16 months of ownership. More than I want but not as many as most people. I guess if the windshield lasts 2 years without a major crack I'll be thankful. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
237 Posts
My windshield looks like I pissed off the neighborhood BB gun gang.
Yep. Didn't read all 147 pages but....

Owned mine since 2006 and I counted the chips a couple years ago and I know I had over 20 chips.....still original though and no spiderwebs. I'll have to do a recount, though after posting this I'll probably walk outside and find it in a million pieces.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Window chips don't seem to stay chips during Minnesota Winters.

Sure enough water gets in the chip and on a really cold day it expands, spidering the window.

I'm on Windshield number 2 and have had multiple chips/dings filled by safelite.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I am pretty sure that mine has delaminated from the pinchweld. I hear wind noise.... Sometimes when at a stop if the headwind is at the right angle. Pretty much any headwind whistles through.

Rig only has 25k miles since new OCT 2010

No chips no cracks, just wind noise.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Less than 5000 miles on my 2013. Hit blowing sand in Calif desert for approx 10 minutes at 30 Mph . Was on freeway had to drive to off ramp., to save paint. Paint survived. windshield totally sand blast / pitted.

Charley's Army FJ

1441 - 1460 of 1492 Posts