Votes: 450 9.4%
  • No, all is well in Windshield Land

Votes: 2,687 55.9%

• Total voters
1461 - 1480 of 1492 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Dude, you're on your 3rd already!!!!! You need to back off buddy :rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Mine's not broken, but I sure have my share of chips. First was when I was in the left
hand lane and had to cross over to the right behind an empty flat bed to make my exit. I knew I didn't want to cut behind him because there was all sorts of **** on the bed. Don't you know it that as soon as I cut over, a rock came off the bed and chipped my windshield.

A few other times when I was following too close, once more than 50', I picked up chips and scratches. It's almost impossible to keep the thing clean of nicks.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Yes I busted mine once. Insurance fixed it. Bad job putting the cowling corners back on. Have been loose ever since.
Just get the new clips... Mine flew off and it was $60 plus painting it...

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
I think I'm on #4 or 5... hence the $0 glass deductible with Progressive
There's no way to change my poll answer lol.

I have had a rock come fly from opposite traffic at least twice, rarely got hit following closer than 100+ft. So I just deal with "stars" till I have about 3 or 4 of them in places that bother my view... or my dash-cam view...

·
Premium Member
5,087 Posts
Try to get good quality glass. I have had this windshield for almost three years now. It finally has gotten enough chips to be replaced.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Mine only has one chip in it. but it caused a crack that went all the way across the lower part of the windshield. all the gravel/back roads etc in this area.. it's going to happen.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Picked up another ding yesterday, just another small nick. I've probably got somewhere between 5-10 really small nicks, and one a quarter-inch long that I'm keeping an eye on to make sure it doesn't start a running crack. The woman couldn't figure out why I was
so angry when I passed her. Sounded like the rock was going to come thru the windshield it was so loud. I try not follow too close, but in a large city, it's practically impossible to
maintain any kind of decent distance without clowns always cutting in front of you.

Fortunately, I've learned to live with the small ones. I figure a new windshield will just
get nicked up anyway. I'll wait for a big'n before I decide to replace it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had mine cracked on US 10 between Tucson and Phoenix. Lots of rock trucks moving around there. Anyway, I had OEM replacement on the insurance and got a Toyota windscreen and all the plastic pieces that go with it.

Good deal....

·
Registered
138 Posts
Had my FJ for 3 years, it has the factory windshield, but have two bad chips with bad repairs.. I want to replace it because there is chip that was repaired only to be chipped again right above the steering wheel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
well I work for a glass company any skilled installer can just replace the glass with out breaking the plastic clips and the top piece, depends on who you go to, the cheapest priced guy might not always be the best guy. And try to get a made in USA or Canada part, the import ones has less quality. I'm on my third one 2010 fj

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Have 2011 FJ with the original glass. Have two chips you can't see through. One the size of a dime with a 3/4" crack to boot. Many small nicks that I see when the sun hits them just right. I try to follow at a distance, but I've even been hit with rocks from oncoming traffic. Then there's always some jerk who wants to fit into the 12' space between you and the car ahead (no I don't follow that close, but there are always exceptions when you're closer than you want to be). Trying to secure free running room in front of your vehicle is impossible unless you want to head down the freeway at 30 mph. As long as I don't get a running crack or a chip right in front of my face, I'll stick with the original glass. I feel it's only a matter of time before the glass will need to be replaced.

Speaking of those chip filling products, do any of them actually work, and will not cause a crack to spread?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes my windshield is already broken. I bought my 07 FJ from a guy in Seattle, I live and work in Oklahoma. The photos looked good and the price was very good. The guy pickes me up at the airport, the first thing I see, a crack all the way across the bottom of the windshield. So what do you do? Check is made out I'm halfway across the country, so I take it as is. But that's just the beginning. It's been a ride but I do love my little tank. It's shaping up well and will soon see some serious roads.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Yes my windshield is already broken. I bought my 07 FJ from a guy in Seattle, I live and work in Oklahoma. The photos looked good and the price was very good. The guy pickes me up at the airport, the first thing I see, a crack all the way across the bottom of the windshield. So what do you do? Check is made out I'm halfway across the country, so I take it as is. But that's just the beginning. It's been a ride but I do love my little tank. It's shaping up well and will soon see some serious roads.

Sorry to hear it's been a rough start... If more people were compleatly honest...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
7,481 Posts
I have a crack nearly all the way across the windshield. This happened after a rock chipped it pretty good, then the next winter with the heater blasting on the glass caused a loud pop! and it finished cracking almost all the way across the windshield. I've just learned to live with it I guess, I couldn't tell you how many chips and dings it has!

·
Registered
55 Posts
mine was was chipped about the second week after buying it new in 14, now about 1/4" long cracks formed on the left and right side so I went to safelite and got it epoxied, im a little skeptical on it holding.

1461 - 1480 of 1492 Posts