Votes: 450 9.4%
  • No, all is well in Windshield Land

Votes: 2,687 55.9%

• Total voters
1481 - 1492 of 1492 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
I still have the original windshield in my 2007 FJ. All 9 Summit stickers are on it, well number 9 will be Wednesday. It has only one chip, which happened in Phoenix on the freeway. Fixed and no cracks. Nearing 140K on it and has done most of the tough trails west of Denver and south. Rubicon, John Bull, Carvacre, all the Big Bear trails, Claw Hammer and several others in Johnson Valley. Following too close cause most of the problems I think.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Yep... i followed that truck going the opposite direction way too close. ... right!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm on my second windshield.. It was a struggle with the insurance co to get it replaced with the OEM Toyota glass, but I'm glad I was able to get it..

·
Registered
70 Posts
137,000 miles on my '07 6mt and i just had the front windshield replaced for the first time. That crack that started on the passenger side about a year and a half ago crept almost all the way across the window in some freezing/warming weather last winter. Bunch of small holes and the sandblasting was pretty bad, so it was time. $381 inclusive in Oakland CA.

·
Registered
35 Posts
60k miles 1 crack 2inches tall then a hard left 30inches long. Replace when I get a ticket. Not worth fixing otherwise it will surely break again soon. 1 out of 5 times driven on the highway rocks ping off it.

·
Registered
999 Posts
ORIGINAL Toyota windshield on my 2007 with 81k miles on it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
In Massachusetts windshields are free, no deductible, so if it happens I'll just have a company come to my office and fix it while I work. The problem is that I have a State Police sticker on mine that they'd need to move to the new windshield and they always look terrible when that happens.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I believe I'm on Windshield replacement #8 . And on the way home from the replacement shop, I got another chip. (Which is small and not travelling now) but someday I'll have to replace this one too.

Almost ALL are from highway rocks thrown onto the flat panel screen that is my front windshield. Only one other time was there vandalism (ROCK) that necessitated a replacement.

My window guy says they aren't as profitable as they once were for the glass shops.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Not sure what he means but as all new cars age prices drop from insurance carriers as with most things. And the newest cars cost more, I will assume he means what he gets paid from insurers but all that is worked out before he orders parts. A wind/bug deflector may help if you are getting that may rock hits.

1481 - 1492 of 1492 Posts