Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been going strong with the original windshield with nothing but a small dot/crack for 2yrs. Just recently the small crack has started to web. The crack is about 4" now, but it will probably continue to grow.

So that I am prepared when the time comes to replace the windshield, I have a few questions...
  • I heard that top white portion (I have a non TT) above the windshield needs to be replaced. What is the name of this part? I'd like to buy new OEM Toyota. Do I need anything else for the replacement?
  • Do I go to the Toyota dealership for the work? I've heard the 3rd party windshields are not as strong and can crack sooner (might be just be anecdotal).
Thanks for your time!

·
A-Team Moderator
9,472 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,592 Posts
My local safelite replaced the top piece without me having to ask them. IDK if its OEM though. The glass is aftermarket. They (and another shop I contacted) were well aware of the difficulty with our vehicles. Just hoping the price thru toyota isn't too high. I still paid too much IMO at around $450 IIRC.

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
I am on my second Toyota OEM windshield in six years and I am actually pretty happy with it. I had many chips in the first before a crack grew. My second has taken some fast pebbles with only small chips. I get the chips drilled and filled immediately for free at SafeLite through my insurance. The Toyota windshield was about $600, but I think it is tougher than after market based on the stories from this forum.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had mine replaced about 6 months ago through a glass repair company and was told that the strip across the top is automatically quoted in the price with the repair. They told me that people will glue the old ones on to cut costs and that there’s no way not to break the clips when the old one is removed. Cost in So MS was $730 and as far as quality of the glass, I have no complaints. I’ve had a couple of rocks hit hard and I just knew it would be cracked but wasn’t either time. Truly, I think the factory glass was weaker. Due to the angle of the glass in the FJ, I’ve accepted that’s going to be an ongoing expense.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been going strong with the original windshield with nothing but a small dot/crack for 2yrs. Just recently the small crack has started to web. The crack is about 4" now, but it will probably continue to grow.

So that I am prepared when the time comes to replace the windshield, I have a few questions...
  • I heard that top white portion (I have a non TT) above the windshield needs to be replaced. What is the name of this part? I'd like to buy new OEM Toyota. Do I need anything else for the replacement?
  • Do I go to the Toyota dealership for the work? I've heard the 3rd party windshields are not as strong and can crack sooner (might be just be anecdotal).
Thanks for your time!
I had mine replaced at Safelite. They have the parts included with the windshield. A new white cap and clips were used with new windshield. was replaced last November 2 weeks after I bought my FJ. No problems yet and much cheaper than dealer. Less than $500.00 in Delaware

·
Registered
163 Posts
My insurance covered mine, and it included new top piece. They asked what color mine was so they could get the correct color. Safelite, stocked white locally but would special order trail teams colors as needed( I didn’t). Safelite did enough in Knoxville area to know exactly what to do and already stocked the trim so I was very comfortable with their work. They did say it would have cost $450 for after market glass, and $750 for Toyota glass if I were paying for it(I originally asked before learning my insurance covered it.)
They glue down the top piece by default so not to put total faith in the clips. They said this is standard procedure.
Good luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yikes......hefty price for glass repair. I just got my FJ and on the long drive back to TX from WY a dang rock or bug impacted and cracked it. Luckily it hasn't spidered and will live with for a bit longer (guess it's a character mark) now that I see how hefty prices can be.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Do yourself a favor and have a resin repair done. It'll probably still be visible but it won't be as likely to start spreading.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I went to safelite to get mine done a while back and the guy accidentally ordered a white top molding piece ( I have army green NSSE). The guy looked at me with a straight face and asked if it would be okay to install. I almost left just because I didnt want someone that stupid working on my car. On top of that they stole my credit card info and tried using it around Queens a week later. Morons at Safelite.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts