Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone. I just recently purchased my 07 fJ. Its silver 4x4. Its got 86000 miles on it and I want to do a tune up on it. What kind of plugs go well with these trucks? Wires as well? I want to clean it up nice to free up a few HP and MPG. I'd like to get a snorkel and k &n filter soon too. Are there any free mods to do to these? Any ram air mods?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Welcome. I always prefer NGK v-power plugs, which are OEM. As far as a ram air system, I think any snorkel kit with a K&N would do. Also apply the recommended grease on the drive shafts, it prevents them from binding and causing the clunking when accelerating from a stop.

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
These motors don't have traditional plug wires. Each cylinder has a coil pack . One bolt on coilpack, nnplug the coil pack , pull it out and the plug is recessed far into the valve cover. If you use a plug socket , it will have a rubber insert to grab the plug when it comes out of the threads. Otherwise you can use a magnet to pull it out . Passenger side is accessible with just removing the stock air box. The drivers side is slightly more challenging, but it's pretty straight forward. If you want a good CAI I prefer the AFE pro dry. Oil bath filters are not as good IMO

·
Premium Member
6,517 Posts
Your '07 is due at 90K. I prefer the stock Denso spark plugs. They hold up better than the NGK's. Check your owner's manual and it will provide you with a list of what should be done at 90K.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I think in the next two weeks ill get an air filter n clean the maf. I was.also wondering...the car has Ted exhaust on it..but I want it to have more of a growl. If I were to remove the two rear cats...would that hurt my mileage?

·
Registered
460 Posts
hahaha did someone say "Ram Air?" Sorry when this comes up I just have to chime in. Here's a bit of a revelant article.

"...the fact that Ram Air is a valid idea can't be disputed, after all that's what makes a ram jet work. There is a problem when it comes to cars though, and that is one of speed. Ram jets work best at Mach 2 and faster. That's about 1400 miles per hour and upwards. While some ram jets have
been made to operate (very poorly) at speeds as low as 100 mph, the extensive tests that NACA did in 1948 provided both the math and the test results to show that the Ram Air effect is nearly useless below about 320 mph. It seems that Ram Air is a dynamic function that is proportional to the square of the air velocity. As such, at 75 mph the gain in air density is about 7/10ths of one percent, or .007 percent. At sea level you'll be getting 14.8 PSI instead of the standard 14.7 PSI. But that's in a perfect world. Ram Air is generally considered to be only about 75% efficient, so in truth at
75mph you are gaining only about 1/2 of one percent. This begins to ramp up as you get faster. At 150 mph the density increase is 2.75% (2.06% adjusted) which is probably helpful in some way but is still in the "nearly impossible to measure" category. At 350 mph the increase in density is in the 15% range and this is where Ram Air becomes usable. So unfortunately at normal highway speeds and even at drag strip speeds, Ram Air just doesn't add anything to the performance of your car."

Next time you decide to revv your FJ up to 350MPH give me a call and I'll come watch your ram air in action. :cheers:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts