Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok first of all I want to thank all who post on this site which I just found about a week ago and have been reading religiously for the past week. This site was and still is overwhelming with all of the great information on it. I have finally taken the time to register. Anyways, I currently have a 2009 Silver FJ AT,4WD, 20k miles certified parked in the driveway which I am test driving overnight. I freaking love this thing but... I feel as though I might be getting screwed over on what the dealership is gonna charge me for it. They are listing it for $28,287 out the door it would be about $30,000 after all fees and they claim it is the lowest they can go. I stated I would pay $28,000 OTD but they did not budge.I am trading in my 2003 nissan altima and they are gonna give me $4,500 for it. All of the papers are ready and waiting for me to sign tomorrow but I just don't wanna get screwed over on this deal I love the car and and don't wanna lose it. Can you all please give me some advice is this a good deal. It seems pretty high for a 2009 with 20k miles on it. Thank you very much and I can't wait to officially be apart of this community. I have also put the link to the AutoTrader listing on here as well. Thanks Again:bigthumb:. Used 2009 Toyota FJ Cruiser For Sale | Ann Arbor MI

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Welcome to the forum! This is the place for all things FJ!

I think they are high. I recently priced a new 2011 FJ well equipped and it listed for $30,080

I realize the dealership will want to add delivery and prep charges, but that was the new retail price!

Give them your top offer and walk away. They will come to you.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Looks ok to me. I paid 25k for a 2007 with 36K miles in September of 2010. I also have the 100k warranty, and a couple of options you don't (bling skid plate and chrome exhaust tip).

...that is unless I took one in the rear. Can't say anything about your trade though, because I have no idea.

In the end, I would have done it again twice over. I love it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You all for the quick replys. This is making me think twice, but like I said I don't wanna loose it they had a white one I was looking at too and that sold yesterday and another black 2010 already has a deposit on it and is selling tomorrow. Please keep the advice/comments coming.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I think they "may" be high, I think what they are giving you for the Nissan is also high.
What you're looking at is the difference figure.
30K - 4,500 is $25,500 OTD, if they are a grand high and a grand high on the Altima it's a wash. Dealers will show you you more for your trade to make you happy. The FJ is $25.5 plus an 03 Altima, only you know what the Altima is worth, we don"t even know the miles. Is it worth $4,500?
A good deal is a state of mind.

There are more FJs out there too, maybe they will have 4 next month.
Finally, the puppy-dogged you. ie...take the puppy home and ask mom if you can keep it. Your friends and neighbors asking you about your "new" ride in the drive way, yada, yada... they are doing their best to make it hard for you to say no in the morning.
If you walk away, you'll find out if it was a good deal, if they don't call you.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I say buy new. The price isn't that much difference and you can really pick and choose what you want.
He's right. And I assume you will have a loan. A new FJ loan will get a much better rate than a used will. In the long run, with interest, the used one maybe very close to the cost of a new one with a much lower interest rate.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sounds high. If your willing to go that high, why not pay a little more and get a new one with ZERO miles on it. FJ's do hold their value well. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Disregard my earlier statement. I had a panic attack and looked at my paperwork. I paid $24k and had a really good trade in.

They're right...it's high.

They let you take it home. Take it in and make them an offer. Leave if they don't take it. My guess is they will stop you before you hit the door.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Sounds high. Get a new one, and with a name like YodaStyle, you should get an AG one...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again for all of the replys. A little more info: I guess Toyota is having a special where they are offering 2.9%APR on certified used Toyotas so that was what I was approved for and with it being about 30k out the door it would be about $450 a month. MY Nissan has 115K miles on it and KBB listed it from 4-5k for a trade in. The guy claimed they are giving me more than what my car is worth instead of dropping their list price. I think he said that a new car would be like 3.5% and at about 32-35k would put my payment up to about $550 which is a little too high for me.
You guys are making it a lot harder for me to walk in their tomorrow and sign the papers. What do you think would be a fair offer? Like I stated earlier I offered 28K OTD and it didnt look like he was willing to budge but I am def willing to go back in their tomorrow with some more ammo now that I have a better idea of what the experts think. Please continue to school this newbie. Oh also they did just get a Brand new 2011 AG!!! LOL like you stated being that my name on here is YodaStyle that would be a great combo...Maybe its a sign:bigthumb:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Ultimately only you are going to make the decision, not the dealer or anyone in this thread.
You know know more about the vehicles involved, your financial situation, credit....
But take your time, don't force it, you're not on a deadline are you. You'll have this thing longer than many people will keep a spouse, make sure your happy with the purchasing decision now or you'll never be later.
That said, if you want, make them an offer you could be happy with, and stick to it. If they can get there they won't let you leave. If they let you leave, go. Think about it and look around, you can always call them back. Toyoda made a ****load of these, there will be more.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Go for the 2011 AG. You won't regret it. I bought a 2010 AG and it is the most awesome vehicle I have ever owned. I've had it for almost a year and still have less than 10,000 miles on her. I still love making the payments every time I go to the garage and see it, knowing that I will have it for a long time. DO IT! DO IT!
I bought a 2011 AG 3 weeks ago. I don't regret it either.

Who we kidding we both know Yoda is a done deal.

Yoda buy the new one.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The wife and I just bought a new 2011 Brick FJ with 8 miles on it for 30,600 (30,675 out-the-door). 2.9% interest. Lifetime Drivetrain Warranty. They are pricing the 09 WAY too high. Think about it...you buy new you get the Toyota Care for 2 years...you get full warranty for 3 years....IF you trade in one day you have a much better trade value. Too many reasons to tell em to keep the 09. Our new one had rack and dam with lights....off road package....started at 33,900 on the sticker.

·
Registered
833 Posts
First I love my FJ. You won't regret getting one. Just a question if THIS is the right deal for you.

It sounds high to me. My FJ doesn't have the upgrade package with the sub, 120volt plug, etc, but is brand new at a very similar price to what you are paying.

For reference-

New 2011 FJ bought in Denver

Convenience Package
Tow hitch and wire
Off road package
arm rest
exhaust tip
carpet floor mats
roof rack

MSRP 32K
Paid 28,800 + TTL + $500 in basically dealer profit fees they wouldn't budge on.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Ya there price seems a little high.
Certified Pre-owned usually are.
I purchased my 2011 Iceberg 6MT with off-road and convenience packages, roof rack, tow hitch, carpet floor mats, etc. for right around $30k out the door.
Like many have said before me, I'm sure you can find a new one for their asking price for the 2009. Just take a look around.
Costco's member price is invoice in most areas. Might want to check on that.
Good luck on the buy.
:cheers:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts