Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to put my new rc 3" lift on I have the front all apart and when I try to screw on any of the castle nuts. tie rod ends and ball joints the nut starts on and then gets tough and the whole assembly just spins inside the boot. Bolt and nut so the the nut will not tighten. I hope this makes sense. Help

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok I got the tie rod ends on they did eventually tighten up but the drivers side ball joint just spins did I break it or is there a trick. Do I need to buy a new ball joint

·
Registered
124 Posts
I never heard of that before, but I would try placing a piece of wood on top of a bottle jack and jack up under the tie rod end. This should force the tapered shaft inward and cause enough resistance to prevent the shaft from spinning, allowing you to tighnten the bolt to IIRC 60ft/lbs. For the ball joint, assemble the nut as tight as possible, then jack that assembly up the same way or try putting on the tire and taking the truck off the stands to tighten

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that did not work thanks for the suggestion thou. I can only guess that I messed up the threads on the ball joint somehow so I guess I will make a trip to the dealership in the morning for a new one

1 - 4 of 4 Posts