Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a 2007 FJ that presented itself recently. It looks good around the body with some rust underneath but mostly surface and some scaling but not rotted.
There is rust on top of the fenders under the hood in the engine bay. Not soft but rusty.
How concerning are these spots, and are there other things to focus on. I've had a couple 4Runners and done some research but thought I'd put it out to the experts. Thanks

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Fender

Land vehicle Automotive tire Car Wheel Motor vehicle

· Registered
73 Posts
I'm looking at a 2007 FJ that presented itself recently. It looks good around the body with some rust underneath but mostly surface and some scaling but not rotted.
There is rust on top of the fenders under the hood in the engine bay. Not soft but rusty.
How concerning are these spots, and are there other things to focus on. I've had a couple 4Runners and done some research but thought I'd put it out to the experts. Thanks

View attachment 1197305
View attachment 1197306
View attachment 1197304
Hard pass from me, this amount of rust will take a good amount of time and money to get done right.

· Premium Member
4,030 Posts
Sorry. Warped sense of humor. It seems another unique thing about FJs is when buying one, we are more interested in underbody corrosion than the body, interior and accessories.

This is a good reminder to all to get under their rigs and remediate rust yearly!

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry. Warped sense of humor. It seems another unique thing about FJs is when buying one, we are more interested in underbody corrosion than the body, interior and accessories.

This is a good reminder to all to get under their rigs and remediate rust yearly!
Haha! No problem, I can appreciate that! Makes me think I need to decide what to use to rustproof my 4runner.

· Premium Member
5,080 Posts
"Toyota dropped the ball on the undercarriage ." - do note that this is a 15 year old truck, so that amount of rust is pretty normal in the industry.

Where Toyota dropped the ball was in making everything else about their vehicles last almost forever that rust is nearly the only thing that kills them (or lack of fluid changes).

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"Toyota dropped the ball on the undercarriage ." - do note that this is a 15 year old truck, so that amount of rust is pretty normal in the industry.

Where Toyota dropped the ball was in making everything else about their vehicles last almost forever that rust is nearly the only thing that kills them (or lack of fluid changes).
It's interesting I also have a 2002 RX300 with 322k on it. I brought it to New York from Florida in 2005, never undercoated it and it has very minimal rust underneath
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

at 20 years old.

· Premium Member
5,080 Posts
Note that most of the red rust on the frame and suspension parts is cosmetic and the body shell on most FJs is still pristine. The body shell on the FJ is most like the unibody RX, and the body shell does tend to resist rust very, very well.

OP's body shell, however, looks like hell, and is much worse than most.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Note that most of the red rust on the frame and suspension parts is cosmetic and the body shell on most FJs is still pristine. The body shell on the FJ is most like the unibody RX, and the body shell does tend to resist rust very, very well.

OP's body shell, however, looks like hell, and is much worse than most.
OP's meaning the photos I uploaded?

· Registered
1,644 Posts
OP's meaning the photos I uploaded?
Yes. The actual bottom side of the body sheet metal is badly rusted as well.

At least Toyota remediated some Tundras at one time. But they didn't learn their lesson later on with the FJ, which is a real shame. My brother actually remembers Toyota pulling the bodies off of brand new Tundras at a couple of warehouses near the port of entry in the Port of Portland just to replace the frames. Glad I never bough one of those "remediation jobs".

· Registered
103 Posts
I'm looking at one that looks close to that. The frame doesn't look to bad but all the other parts would take a lot of time. I suppose the rear axle and springs are pretty ugly? I'm thinking an FJ like that should be priced around $2,000 less

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Agreed, I think this "could be" saved due to no real soft spots yet, but there is a lot of scaly body rust underneath and some on the fender tops under the hood. Rear axle is very rusty. Problem is, the seller is not a car person, and seems to take my price reduction explanation as that I'm just trying to lowball him on a very desirable car. Unless I can get it for a price that will allow me to have some fun with it and not worry about losing my butt, I'll stay away from it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.