Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Newbie from NC

2K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  Sea2MtnFJ 
#1 ·
As of June this year and after a lot of hard work and patience I became the proud owner a cement gray 2014 FJ. I've been reading and reading and reading (did I say reading) this forum before I even got my FJ, but now that I've put over 8,000 miles on him and getting the itch to put in some work, I decided it was finally time to join the community. I could not ask for a better truck and feel like I'm driving the safest tank on the road every time I get behind the wheel. Can't wait to put thousands of more miles on that odometer for years to come!

And now for some plans and some questions. About 2 months ago I threw on some AllPro sliders that I've loved so far; no door dings and super helpful with cleaning that white roof. With 53,000 miles on stock tires, the time has come to put some new shoes on. Obviously not wanting to break the bank (still a working college student) but I'm currently thinking of a 2" level with some Falken AT3W's, then blacking out the stock wheels with plastidip. Questions come in with the level kit; spacers or 5100's? And of course there's hundred of arguments between tire brands, but my debate is between 265's and 285's. Any advice on any of the above would be greatly appreciated!

This turned out to be much longer than expected, but looking forward to learning more and being apart of this awesome community! Planning to graduate from NC State University in Mechanical Engineering next May, and working on some travel plans with the FJ shortly after walking the stage. If you see me on I40 (I go home to the Wilmington area nearly every weekend) wave hi! I'm also a huge fly fisherman, so if anyone wants to meet up for some fishing or want to travel for some fishing, I'm always down. Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome aboard!

#11 ·
Congrats, welcome and don't get arrested the night before graduation!

285's definitly. I had a BFG in stock size develop some separation issues so I put on a Nexen because it was the cheapest option. in about 5 weeks I'm getting 5 - 285's on the FJ. I knew I was going up in size shortly, that's why I went with the Nexen. They are on the truck also. The truck tends to get loaded with hay, oats, wood, pumpkins and stuff so the Nexen's get beaten up in terms of carrying a lot of weight but they haven't let me down. As far as an "all terrain" tire - I got stuck in mildly damp grass, no hill, no depressions. Just a flat area with grass, in the morning. Drove in, hooked up a strap and could not even get enough grip to tighten up the strap.

what was the question? "purple". is that an answer?

#12 ·
Thanks for the welcome everyone, awesome to hear from people all over! Definitely looking forward to graduation, that's for sure hahaha

I guess there wasn't much of a question rather than just looking to get advice from some who have been through the process and have some wisdom. I really like the idea of 5100's in the sense I'd rather just do it right the first time and it's nearly the same effort to put the spacers in as the 5100's, aside from some extra steps with the springs and such (obviously). I've gotten some pretty astronomical quotes on just simply installing the level, and of course being a mechanical engineering I'd rather just do it myself but it honestly seems a little daunting. It'd be great way to learn more about the truck and I love getting my hands dirty with the feeling that comes once it's all done, but not looking to screw something up that's really gonna cost me later.

I'm pretty set on the 285's, the last thing I want to do is get 265's and then pick the truck up and be disappointed in the look or 2 months later wishing I would've gone with the bigger option. Like I said previously, might as well do it right the first time...keep any advice or tips coming!

#14 ·
Hey Tanner, welcome to the forum! Congrats on your new FJ as well, looks great so far.

As for our input on the tires, we've made the transition to skinnier tires and you can read why we finally made the switch here. Hopefully that'll help inform your decision. Please browse our site if you're looking for a FJ specific store where you can browse tires or whatever else peaks your interest.

Looking forward to hearing more from you in the future!

#16 ·
Welcome!!

#18 ·
Thanks for the continued welcomes! Definitely loving the color, I'm planning to black out the stock wheels in the near future (after the new tires) and I think it's gonna set it off. With all the variable information on 285's with a stock setup, I'm thinking of putting them on first and seeing how they run, then doing the 5100's later either out of necessity to prevent rubbing or just to help the overall look.

Anyone got any favorite overlanding spots in west NC or the Smokies?? Once these new tires go on I'll be eager to get out there!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.