Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2010 FJ
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Brand-new FJ owner here in southwest Va. About a month ago, I bought a 2010 FJ 6MT with about 165k miles on it. Took about a month to title/register by mail (due to covid), but I now have the title and tags. The previous owner added Bilstein 5100's, new rims, and M/T's. Other than that, it is pretty much stock. It doesn't appear to have been off-roaded much, if ever, throughout its former life. Here is a pic:

I have the following goals for my FJ:
1) Drive occasionally on forest roads here in the mountains
2) Help me reach more remote trout streams
3) Learn how to wrench on the FJ
4) Generally have fun with the FJ and use it as a tool to help get my boys outside more

Besides helping my dad change oil around 30 years ago while growing up, I have no experience working on cars. But so far I've changed the diff oils (front, rear, transfer case), greased zerks, and added the OEM trailer hitch, all with information I gathered from this forum.

Projects pending are:
1) Remove front diff drop - appears to be a controversial issue, but I'd like to remove it mainly so it doesn't interfere with after-market skids. The previous owner ditched the OEM front skid because of the front diff drop
2) Rear trailing arm replacement - trail series from Rokmen on order...
3) Front and mid skid ordered from BudBuilt (they are only about 2.5 hrs away from me)
4) Sliders also on order from BudBuilt

At some point this year, I also want to get some recovery gear. I have nothing right now. I can use the stock bottle jack if I put a small stack of plywood underneath of it first. It doesn't have enough lift by itself with the suspension/tire upgrades.

Anyway, I am very excited to join the group and look forward to the many years of pleasure that my FJ will give me moving forward!

Best,
Kevin

·
Premium Member
16,615 Posts
Welcome aboard! Nice looking FJ.

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
Welcome from Oregon :)

·
Registered
2014 FJ Cruiser
10 Posts
Welcome from Northern VA. I hope you enjoy it.

I bought an FJ about 2 months ago. So far it has been really fun to drive. Mine will stay stock as I have a 4Runner with some mild upgrades for the trails.

PS: I used to be a bad trout fisherman. May have time to be one again with kids sports on hold this summer.

·
Registered
2010 FJ
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, all.

BurghRunner the fishing has been tough this year. All of these rains are flooding the creeks and rivers, at least in this part of VA. It is going to be a weird year with fishing not really being doable until at least June, looks like. Then you know the drought will start...

·
Registered
815 Posts
Hi Kevin, welcome from Ohio!
Good luck with the mods

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Welcome from Northern Virginia! :). Very nice FJ. You'll have fun with it!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Congratulations trout hunter! I have the cement gray too. The one piece of gear I recommend is a good 10" cast iron skillet! For the trout. I love trout. Mmmmmmmmm with butter. Right there on the spot.
Enjoy the fj. Should serve your needs well. Looks perfect

·
Registered
2010 FJ
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congratulations trout hunter! I have the cement gray too. The one piece of gear I recommend is a good 10" cast iron skillet! For the trout. I love trout. Mmmmmmmmm with butter. Right there on the spot.
Enjoy the fj. Should serve your needs well. Looks perfect
LOL... I have many cast iron skillets. I cooked up the very first large trout that I caught when I was living in Vermont. Nowadays it is all catch and release for me. Most of the fish here are stocked and the streams get a lot of pressure. I'd like to try eating some wild trout if I ever get to travel to a wild, out-of-the-way place where there are lots of them and I am camping with a camp fire.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts