Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2011 FJ Cruiser
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, total noob here from Upstate New York. Just got a 2011 Cavalry Blue 4x4, 135k. Completely alien to me, I have never owned a vehicle quite like this. I always thought they were cool and always wanted one but man I had no idea what I was getting myself into! Who knew this vehicle had such cult status? Not me! This forum looks like a good place with some great people. I look forward to reading around and getting involved!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Welcome from Vancouver, Canada!

You've definitely come to the right place.

·
Premium Member
16,904 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Premium Member
4,090 Posts
Welcome from Oregon :)

·
Registered
458 Posts
I test drove a 2011 last week from out in that direction, though not as far as you are. It’s from Cicero. How does your FJ handle NY’s brutal winters?
it handles the snow well. i have 33 M/T's on it. rust underneath is a huge issue though. i just spent most of last weekend under mine wire wheeling and repainting the frame and suspension. fluid film in the late fall helps but it's still a battle.

·
Registered
2011 FJ Cruiser
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
rust underneath is a huge issue though. i just spent most of last weekend under mine wire wheeling and repainting the frame and suspension. fluid film in the late fall helps but it's still a battle.
I buy my vehicles from the owner of an auto shop (the running joke is my family keeps him in business cause we always service our vehicles there), this is my third vehicle in a row I’ve bought from him. And he said the same thing, he stressed rust is an issue. Is it the FJ specifically, why have I never heard this with any other vehicle? Also, what is fluid film? Should I use that?

·
Registered
458 Posts
i would say it's an upstate NY and northeast USA thing in general. i had 3 jeeps before the FJ and they looked a lot worse after less time. i always traded after 3 or 4 years and didn't really care.

once i realized how much i loved the FJ and wouldn't be able to buy another one the rust really started to matter.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Rust is an issue with all Toyota trucks frames going back decades. My frame maintenance consists of washing the frame in the spring, let dry, wire wheel or if have an air compressor needle gun the rust, small hand wire brush for those hard to reach areas, Ospho rust neutralizer, Eastwood primer, Eastwood black Chassis paint and follow up with Amsoil heavy duty metal protector. Eastwood also makes an internal frame protector highly recommended.

I do two coats of each i.e. Ospho twice, primer twice etc.Your are going to need ( 2P) Patience and preparation of the frame. I would do the frames in sections makes it more manageable just when you think you got you see another area to touch up.

I would recommend to do it in front of your house don't want to stain the driveway. Please read all safety precautions when dealing with Ospho rust neutralizer. I have been only doing this since I purchased the vehicle new 8 years ago and I'm happy with the results.The rust does get manageable if the preparation is done correctly. My .02

I'm located downstate N.Y. with winter trips to Maine. Welcome to the cult.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts