Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I am picking up my FJ this afternoon!

I pulled all my stuff out of my last truck and am going to install in the FJ (I got the basic stereo)

Question on the door speakers ... I have Polk audio db690 6x9s .... will these fit in the stock thingys I have seen, just need to get the old speaker out or do I need those adapters from tacotunes?

any help / advice greatly appreciated!

I look forward to being a part of this community!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Hello all! I am picking up my FJ this afternoon!

I pulled all my stuff out of my last truck and am going to install in the FJ (I got the basic stereo)

Question on the door speakers ... I have Polk audio db690 6x9s .... will these fit in the stock thingys I have seen, just need to get the old speaker out or do I need those adapters from tacotunes?

any help / advice greatly appreciated!

I look forward to being a part of this community!
You need the brackets. I got my brackets from Crutchfield.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Brackets. Some on ebay always or make your own. No one will see them so I made my own. Your speakers will be a great improvement alone. If you haven't already read up on the removal of door panel it is easy. Two screws, one re-useable plastic rivet and a bit of pulling. Like Sunday morning.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I used the Tacotunes adapters for my 6x9's. I love how they fit, and they are very easy to work with. If you use them, you'll need to get some extended bolts for them, just take an old one to the hardware store and you can get the exact same thing, just 1" longer (or whatever length)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Some 1/4" plywood or MDF cut to the pattern of the original and fit for the 6X9 works great. Only a little work involved.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I will just cut my own adapters out of some 1/4 plywood ....

Can anyone recommend what size screws i will need to mount the adapter to the doors?

·
Banned
338 Posts
Just use the stock bolt holes. Drill holes in your piece of wood and slide the bolts through them and bolt it back up, shouldn't be too hard at all:bigthumb:
Or if you want you could buy these, I use them and they are fantastic. eBay Motors: 2007 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser Speaker Mount Kit 6x9 1/4 (item 120247971995 end time Apr-22-08 20:03:39 PDT)

Some people on here cut the stock speaker out and try to use the trim as a mount...don't do this, that plastic is so weak that any "good" speaker will wear that plastic down very quickly. I had some old kickers sitting around before I decided to get Infinity Kappas and laughed when I plopped the kickers in the old speaker trim, the plastic flexed like crazy, now way it would hold it in there right. Dunno how some people do it unless they are using speakers with VERY small light-weight magnets.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
done..

I ended up just cutting the stock speaker out of the plastic housing and mounting my 6x9s into that. Sounds good ....

so far:
Polk Audio db 690s in the doors
Pioneer TS-T110 Tweeters in the top of dash
Pioneer DEH-P5900iB headunit in dash

Amp & Sub install this weekend

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Nice taco installer.. :cheers: Ron

Just use the stock bolt holes. Drill holes in your piece of wood and slide the bolts through them and bolt it back up, shouldn't be too hard at all:bigthumb:
Or if you want you could buy these, I use them and they are fantastic. eBay Motors: 2007 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser Speaker Mount Kit 6x9 1/4 (item 120247971995 end time Apr-22-08 20:03:39 PDT)

Some people on here cut the stock speaker out and try to use the trim as a mount...don't do this, that plastic is so weak that any "good" speaker will wear that plastic down very quickly. I had some old kickers sitting around before I decided to get Infinity Kappas and laughed when I plopped the kickers in the old speaker trim, the plastic flexed like crazy, now way it would hold it in there right. Dunno how some people do it unless they are using speakers with VERY small light-weight magnets.

·
Banned
338 Posts
done..

I ended up just cutting the stock speaker out of the plastic housing and mounting my 6x9s into that. Sounds good ....

so far:
Polk Audio db 690s in the doors
Pioneer TS-T110 Tweeters in the top of dash
Pioneer DEH-P5900iB headunit in dash

Amp & Sub install this weekend
If it'll hold it...then good luck, but under heat or in the cold it might flex and crack as that small plastic frame ain't made to hold much...dunno how heavy the polks are though. I decided on Infinity after comparing the two, polk seems more "boomy" while Infinity was far more acoustical, no need for a boomer 6x9 when you have subs in the back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts