Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

My name is Will. I live in Knoxville Tennessee, and this is my first post, and first Toyota. I was in the market for a fun reliable ride that I could do some weekend wheeling in. I found this FJ on the market and it had most of what I wanted already installed (just not necessarily in working condition, I used this to my advantage in negotiations though). Leather seats, 8500lb winch, ARB bumper w/fogs, beefy skid plates, rock sliders, Double-din kenwood w/subs and reverse cam, 2.5 inch suspension lift, new bigger tires(285/70/17), 4wd, arb front lockers, factory rear diff locker, CAI, cat back borla dual exhaust, etc.. the list goes on. But now to the question..

So I picked up this 2007 FJ cruiser in January, and have been slowing fixing, getting maintenance up to date, and upgrading small stuff since then. I am just now focusing my efforts on the suspension. I did some searching on the google, as well as this forum and was able to find out exactly what I have. This was helpful, until I realized after looking at some of the lifted ones on here/online that I wanted to get mine leveled out. I am not sure the best way to do that. (New struts for the front or a spacer on top etc.) The current setup in the rear has XL Rancho shocks (New) and some OME 895 springs. The current set up in the front has N140S shocks(Will need replacing soon-they’re very old!) paired with OME 884 springs. No other suspension parts have appeared to be aftermarket, however I will attach a few pictures detailing my suspension specifically.

The measurements from the center hubs straight up to the fender on each wheel well (on level ground) are as follows:

Driver Front: 21 inch 533.4mm
Driver Rear: 23 ¼ inch 590.55mm
Difference: 2.25 inch 57.15mm

Passenger Front: 22 inch 558.8mm
Passenger Rear: 24 1/8th inch 612.775mm
Difference: 2 1/8th inch 53.79mm

So what are my options to level out the suspension on this beast without overly-stressing any of the suspension parts out?
Also let me know if uploading more pics would help you guys help me, I took plenty!

Thanks in advance, and I’d like to give many thanks and compliments to the members here who have “been there and done that” before I came along!

-Will

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hello & welcome from Connecticut!

I just got done doing a small lift to my 2007, as you are finding there are almost as many options as there are opinions. The old adage, "depends on what you want to do with it" will play a big part in the decision making process. For me, it was more about looks that functionality (I know, ugh) I'm not an off roader, mine gets me to and from work in the cold weather, my hobby is riding 2 wheels instead of 4..... anyway, back to your question, I got some good advice and direction from another forum member, he pointed to me 'Toytec' and specifically "Hugo" at ToyTec, gave him a call, told him what I wanted to do and he gave me a few options. Great to work with, reasonable prices and super quick to ship- win, win, win.

ToyTec has a level kit on their website for a little over $200 bucks- Complete Lift Kits

give them a call and talk to Hugo.....Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Nice Rig!

What you do next should be based on the way you plan on using the truck. ARB make some great gear and suspension wise directed at the overloading crowd. If your planning a fridge, roof top tent, camp kitchen... your already built for it.

If you want to soak up some wash boards and fine tune your ride hight look at 2.5 coil overs and 2.5 rears (OME has some out for a couple of years now).
Long stretches of trail bombing wants reservoirs.

Some items like Wheeler's bump stops are excellent for both.

It's use specific.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys! I should have made it more clear that I'm interested in keeping the 2.5"lift, just looking for the safest way to lift the front up a few inches to match the rear, Id like not to have to buy new springs, as I'm on a budget, but I also read somewhere that the distance between the middle of the wheel and the fender well shouldn't exceed 23"? Is that a thing? Since I'm in the market for new front shocks at least, would the adjustable Bilsteins work to give me the extra umph I need to level it with the rear? And lastly, what is the life of these OME springs? Will they continue to sag until they collapse? Just curious on that one!

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
34,581 Posts
Welcome!

Reactions: Will Hendon

·
トヨタ Master
9,809 Posts
Welcome to your new life. Spend a little time looking around the forum and you'll probably find the answers your looking for. Everyone has different tastes and goals, so take your time to figure out how you want your FJ to grow with your life. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
Welcome! You may want to consider going to an 885 in the front. The 884 isn’t rated for the weight of your bull bar. That would definitely bring your front up. I paired the 885 w/ a 1/2” spacer for a full level setup when doing mine. Others used 5100s to do the same. Lots of options out there... good luck!

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Welcome from Vancouver, Canada!

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Welcome from Georgia!

New springs up front should do the trick. Check with Steve Springs at Southeast Overland, he can get you fixed up.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Welcome aboard and congratulations on your new Toy. You may want to have a look at the 2014 TTUE suspension. The US Toyota dealers are blowing them out for about $575. This includes the 6112 coilovers with TRD coil springs and 5160 with remote reservoirs in the rear. This will give you the option of levelling your FJ. It’s also a great price on a good suspension. The ARB bumper is a heavy beast therefore this setup my not get you perfectly levelled because the front shocks only have two height options on the Toyota spec’d 6112 shocks. Worth looking at though.

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16,787 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Welcome Will

1 - 16 of 16 Posts