Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a while ago I posted this thread in order to figure out which lift to put on my FJ. I got a bunch of really helpful advice from you guys and was ready to pull the trigger when I ran into an issue with my sound system. I decided to fix the issue and upgrade the system. As a result I lost my budget. Since then I've had plenty of time to think about what I want in a lift while getting my money back. I've come to the conclusion that I am better off leveling the FJ. I'm a pretty aggressive driver so raising the FJ's center of gravity just doesn't seem like that great of an idea. That said, I do want to get the best possible performance, on and off road, out of a level as possible within a $1500ish budget.

I'm thinking of going with Bilstein 6112s in the front and 5100s or 5160s in the back. This should even allow me to lift the FJ a bit should I choose to later.

Questions:

I imagine that the reservoirs wouldn't make that much of a difference rock crawling and on road but I do like to bomb down rough dirt roads quite often. With that in mind do you guys think that the 5160s would be worth the price difference? Also do I really have to purchase a metal clip for an extra $90 to attach the reservoir to the shock or does stuff come with the purchase of the 5160s that would enable me to attach the reservoir to the car.

I would like to be able to fit 285 70 17 duratracs once level without a BMC. Is this possible? What about 255 80 17? I know that there is a ton of info on this and the answer is most likely yes though I've seen a few people say no so I have a little doubt in my mind. Also, would the pizza cutters be better in the snow than the 285 70s? And would up sizing from the 265 70 17s rob a noticeable amount of acceleration?

Do I need to install UCAs for a level? I'm pretty sure the answer is no but would installing them benefit handling?

What notch should the 6112s be set to for a level? Based on the diagrams provided by Bilstein it should be the 3rd notch but I'm curious if anyone has pictures or can verify the claim.

I'm fairly that the guys at Total Automotive Performance can valve the 5100s to match the 6112s. I'm curious if I can hear from you guys and possibly them what this would mean and what the benefits would be.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump. I'm not sure if I'm asking stupid questions or if there isn't enough info about the 6112s or what but I would love some help/advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I don't think you are asking stupid questions. I don't think people have enough info on the 6112's. I think there are better options than 5100's out there.

Reservoirs, correct. Not a "must" for rock crawling and most people will never cycle a shock enough to make it fade.

UCA's. It depends on the travel of the shock. Again, I don't know about the 6112 and it's spring OD, so I can't answer that, but if it travels much more than a stock shock, you'll end up banging the stock UCA on the spring.

How deep is the snow?? :) I run 285/75/16's and go play in the snow whenever we get it here.

So far so good!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hello from N. Massachusetts. Just can say my matte black fj has a 3" toytec boss complete suspension lift. Totally satisfied. performs super and the ride is good. With any lift and suspension change u will have a difference in ride. I found that this package has given me the most for the money. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
I have the 5100 & have been very happy with them for the price point of the shocks. They have been on for about 6 years & no issues. I would go with the new 6112 since they are larger & perhaps more durable due to the increased diameter. I have OME 887X on my 5100 on the 3rd notch. Here is a picture of how mine sits. My next upgrade is going to be King coil overs

Attachments

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Im sure this will help none but I should be receiving my 6112 this week, I plan on putting the 6112 up front and the 5100 on the back. I just have a revteck levelling kit on currently which for the most part I'm very happy with. My rig came with factory Bilsteins which I have noticed considerable fade in after some excursions over rocks and stumps and what not. Ive been told mostly by my Jeep friends that Bilsteins are the only way to go. I also have total chaos UCA to go on when the shocks get done. The pics I'm attaching is my 13 with the current levelling kit and newly added 285 bf AT. Again in a week or so I will have some input on the 6112 for you. Sorry if my input was a complete waste of your time.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think you are asking stupid questions. I don't think people have enough info on the 6112's. I think there are better options than 5100's out there.

Reservoirs, correct. Not a "must" for rock crawling and most people will never cycle a shock enough to make it fade.

UCA's. It depends on the travel of the shock. Again, I don't know about the 6112 and it's spring OD, so I can't answer that, but if it travels much more than a stock shock, you'll end up banging the stock UCA on the spring.

How deep is the snow?? :) I run 285/75/16's and go play in the snow whenever we get it here.

So far so good!
Thanks for the info. What would you recommend over the 5100s? As for the 6112s I haven't been able to find that much info but I know a few people on the FJ facebook group run them so I'll make a post there.

As for the tires (I'm assuming that both sizes will fit) its more of a question of what would be better for a daily driver in the winter. I've been lead to believe that small and skinny is best. That said its an FJ so i'm not going small and wondering if I should go skinny.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im sure this will help none but I should be receiving my 6112 this week, I plan on putting the 6112 up front and the 5100 on the back. I just have a revteck levelling kit on currently which for the most part I'm very happy with. My rig came with factory Bilsteins which I have noticed considerable fade in after some excursions over rocks and stumps and what not. Ive been told mostly by my Jeep friends that Bilsteins are the only way to go. I also have total chaos UCA to go on when the shocks get done. The pics I'm attaching is my 13 with the current levelling kit and newly added 285 bf AT. Again in a week or so I will have some input on the 6112 for you. Sorry if my input was a complete waste of your time.
I'd love to hear how it goes.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
I have the 6112s on the fronts and cannot say enough good things about them. This was my first recorded impression: "I've spent a few days on these now and I have to say they are amazingly smooth. They improve the ride on any surface I've put them on so far.

Small potholes in pavement are erased. You don't even notice them. Squat and dive are nearly eliminated as well as body roll. I'm even considering trying them with my front swaybar removed.

I bombed the truck down a mining road last might after work and literally laughed out loud at their ability to eat up basketball diameter 4 inch deep potholes and ruts in the packed gravel. The faster I hit them, the smoother it felt.

These 6112s are a tremendously effective ride-control tool. The truck has never ridden better and felt more stable while doing it. The springs are perfectly matched to the shocks.

Do not fool yourself into thinking this is some kind of heavy duty hard-riding setup. I have no doubts that it's capabilities exceed my skills as a driver. You will not out-drive this coilover!" I cannot attest to the increase in ride height as I did not start out from stock. I have 3" lift rear 120 lb/in rate springs and I have recently upgraded the rears from 5100 series Bilsteins to a 2.5" non-reservoir Walker Evans Racing shock (around $300 each). I am equally as enamored with those. The main enhancement for the new rears is better control of what I call 'stutter bumps' or a washborad type surface. If you get the 6112s, I'm confident you will not regret it, even if you never take it off road. The ride is superb!

Upgrading the upper control arms is not completely necessary, but will probably make the alignment a little easier to get into spec and help defray the bump steer inherent in a front lift. Your steering and tracking will feel a little more stable.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Thanks for the info. What would you recommend over the 5100s? As for the 6112s I haven't been able to find that much info but I know a few people on the FJ facebook group run them so I'll make a post there.

As for the tires (I'm assuming that both sizes will fit) its more of a question of what would be better for a daily driver in the winter. I've been lead to believe that small and skinny is best. That said its an FJ so i'm not going small and wondering if I should go skinny.
I have to think about "daily driving" in the snow. I get to see it like five times a year.

Yep, there are some people running them and i have heard good things about them. I am just not a fan of a shock that has to be disassembled to adjust the ride height and a shock that cannot be linearly adjusted if you add a bumper, winch, etc. I tend to look at the "what will I do in a few years" picture.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, there are some people running them and i have heard good things about them. I am just not a fan of a shock that has to be disassembled to adjust the ride height and a shock that cannot be linearly adjusted if you add a bumper, winch, etc. I tend to look at the "what will I do in a few years" picture.
I totally agree. At some point (I plan on keeping the FJ for a long time) I will invest in a set of top of the line coil overs, Icon, Fox, Walker Evans, Kings etc. But right now lifting the fj doesn't really make sense. I dont have the money to do it right, I drive really long distances regularly and I drive way too fast around corners. That said I think that a level will improve looks a bunch while the 6112s and 5100s should improve performance both on and off road for a pretty good price. Plus if I ever send the coil overs to get rebuilt I'll have those to put on the FJ.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just installed the 6112s and used the 4th notch (according to Bilstein, an average 2" lift). I wanted to level but it ended up bringing the front roughly 3/4" higher than the rear. IMHO, if you want to level, I would go with the 3rd notch. I like the ride and can notice the difference on road with the turns feeling a little tighter and more in control. I have not had the chance to take this off road yet.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Bumping this thread as I just bought my 6112 kit. I am gonna follow FJ Ants advice and use the 3rd clip position in hopes of an almost level setup. I am also considering using the 5100 rear shock on a stock rear spring if anybody has good things to say about this combo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts