Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, newbie here.

Im not new to the specialized car world, but usually my cars have always been sports cars and trucks. I have owned mustangs, ford lightning, gmc typhoon, etc. But never really been big into the off road world.

I live in DFW area in Texas, so i know there are plenty of off road areas around. In past years I have had a Tacoma 4x4 and a Chevy Z71 4x4, but neither ever went off road. I just like the "look" of 4x4 vehicles and the ability to go off road if needbe. And my son just turned 10 and got his first gun for Christmas and we plan to start going hunting in the future, so who knows....

that all being said, im in market to dump my current Dodge truck and get something new. I am in love with the FJ Cruisers and want one really bad. And I really like Toyota, had great success with my Tacoma and Tundra in past.

But before I buy, I just wanna do some research. Is this a good daily driver? read some things like its not because of blind spots, gas mileage, premium gas only, etc etc.

But that hasnt steered me away yet. Im looking at a 2007-2009 model that I can get used with roughly 30-40k miles to save a little money. I was kinda hoping for one with conveinence package and all the goodies, but havent decided on 4x4 or not. Is it worth it? Im thinking yes, for basically only $1k (used market doesnt seem like big difference) I might as well, but then I think, Iv never even turned 4x4 on in previous vehicles, whats chances I will now? might as well get the extra 1-2mpg??

thoughts? for those of you in my situation, just like the truck and use as a daily, how do you like it?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I think you should go for the 4x4. If you need it, you'll REALLY need it, plus they are in higher demand, so if you ever have to sell in the future... And with the 4x4, you might go places you've never been before! Fun stuff for a dad and his son!

BTW - mine is a daily driver, 20 miles each way, and I love every minute of it!

Oops - another edit - regular gas is fine in the FJ (per Toyota), and blind spots are completely irrelevant once you know where they are. I have to change lanes going 70 on a crowded freeway all the time. No problems yet.

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
IMO the FJ is a good daily driver. It is an easy vehicle to drive, has the get up and go when you need it and is very roomy.

Blind spots - not the problem every one is making it out to be. Adjust your mirrors properly and you'll be OK. You will have to spend more time in your side mirror when driving, the rear view is marginal at best.

MPG - determined by your driving habits, the FJ can be good but it can also me horrible.

91 Octane - Only recomended by Toyota not required. Is it better? It will be an endless debate. Let your conscience be your guide.

If you can, the 4x4 is nice you'll never know when you need it.

Mine has been a dailt driver for nearly 5 years. I normaly get bored wity vehicles after 2 years and get rid of them, this is a new record for me.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Hi, I also live in Dallas. I bought a 4x2 because I was in the same situation that you are when you bought it. I had never had been off the road in my 40+ years. So I thought why spend the extra money for the 4x4, including higher insurance and gas costs.

Since I bought it, I have only been off-road once at the FJ Summit last year. It performed well and I had lots of fun. The only problems I had was because of inexperience. But this all being said, if I had to buy again, I would get the 4x4. Having enjoyed it, I probably would do more outings if I had the 4x4. I just don't want to be the one that grinds everything to a halt if there is an obstacle that my 4x2 can't do plus I probably would have a greater chance of doing damage to it. There is a purpose for wanting/needing 4 wheel drive or they would not make them.

My wife's car has about had it so I might be looking for FJ #2 which would be a 4x4. I am still deciding to buy new or used. I am leaning towards a high mileage used one that I would use for off roading. This way I can tear it up and use the 4x2 for nicer occasions.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Welcome, fellow DFWer! I recommend going with a 4WD. I bought a 2WD initially and regretted it. As you said, the cost difference is fairly marginal.

As far as premium fuel goes, Toyota actually released an addendum stating that you could indeed use regular in the FJC.

I love my FJC as a daily driver, even as modified as it is! If you have any questions at all, shoot me a PM!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sweet, glad to hear everyone is happy with it as a daily. I figured as much, but wanted some validation to make me happy...

I guess really i just need to decide on a color... iv always been pretty partial to white cars and apparently only white FJ is a limited edition TT version, which I think is completely BA by the way... but a little out of my price range, I might as well buy new for what those used ones are going for....

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
sweet, glad to hear everyone is happy with it as a daily. I figured as much, but wanted some validation to make me happy...

I guess really i just need to decide on a color... iv always been pretty partial to white cars and apparently only white FJ is a limited edition TT version, which I think is completely BA by the way... but a little out of my price range, I might as well buy new for what those used ones are going for....
You can always have it painted like I did or body wrapped.

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
Sun Fusion by far is the best colour but then again I'm a little biased.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
whats it cost to completely change color of a car? always figured that be outragous considering you have to do engine bay, door jams, etc. prolly not worth it, might as well get TT :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
we got ours in 08, went froma caravan to this. AWESOME! my wife uses as adaily driver and yes it does have blind spots, but as previously said no prob after a while especially with the little blind spot mirrors. Power is awesome. and the 4x4 capability is as well. Just make sure you have plenty of washer fluid in the summer. good luck man hope you find a nice one.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
whats it cost to completely change color of a car? always figured that be outragous considering you have to do engine bay, door jams, etc. prolly not worth it, might as well get TT :)
PM sent.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
My daily commute is about eighteen miles one way. The first ½ mile is a steep gravel road, where 4x4 comes in handy. The rest varies from country two lanes to interstate to downtown stop lights. I have no problems with visibility in any of those situations and the ride as smooth as it gets with a vehicle like this. Gas mileage is the biggest concern but that is a trade off I am willing to accept. Your mpg can vary with your driving style.
I am not a car guy but this is the first vehicle that I have fallen in love with. The FJ is the only car that I have ever worked on myself and have modified myself. I would opt for 4x4 for resale value and the slight possibility that you might want to use it someday. The gas mileage and insurance difference would be insignificant to me. The option of 4x4 is well worth the price.

·
Premium Member
1,831 Posts
I first drove an FJ Cruiser when I borrowed my friend's ride to pick up my duplicate key after locking myself out of my Camry. It was a Black Cherry 5A/T. Said to myself, this thing handles pretty well for its size. The automatics are superb as daily drivers.

Bought a 2010 TTSE 6M/T.

The 6M/Ts (at least with my terrible driving) are nowhere near as smooth as the automatics. Let's just say that it can get really annoying, even around a university town (with mostly young drivers in automatic sedans).

But would I have bought an automatic, after having experienced a 6M/T for a year?

Nope...

Never had a problem with the blind spots, it's just a matter of adjusting your mirrors properly and knowing the limitations of your vehicle (needing to be more careful when doing what when). Mileage CAN be an issue.

Just a couple of things to consider when deciding on one, and I'm assuming that you'd settle on a 4x4.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree with all the other posts. The 4x4 will have higher resale value, in fact it won't depreciate at all (you will always get that $1,000 back). I run regular gas and have never had a problem with pinging. Finally, the $2 plastic rectangular convex mirrors you can buy at an auto parts store (or truck stop) work great in the bottom inside of the big FJ side mirrors. Eliminates the blind spot on the highways (if you remember to use them).

·
Registered
21 Posts
07 FJ; Love it. I do about 90 miles round trip, daily. 91,000 miles will be the next oil change. Mileage with regular in VA with 10 percent ethal = 18.39 mpg.
I started using 91-93 octane today and will track it for a week or so to get a good average.
I had a converter replace around 60,000, but it was a warranty part. I'm not sure if it was an '07 problem or not.
I have a leveling kit and run 33" tires on 17" wheels, and have the heavy ass expedition bumper. The best I ever did was a little over 19, stock.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
2008 3 Inch lifted FJ with 33X12.50 tires. I use it as my daily driver. All 2.5 miles each way! ;) The gas mileage does kind of suck but I knew that getting into it!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
We bought our FJ while living in DFW, so here's our 2-cents:
1. Daily driver, it's terrific. Heck, I can last longer in the FJ on long trips than I could in our Ford Expy EB.
2. You get used to the blind spot, in fact it makes you a better, more cautious driver because you teach yourself to be more aware of what is in the other lane.
3. FJ if fast and handles great, just when you need it like merging onto LBJ during rush hour.
4. We got the 2WD for the exact reasons you mentioned: never actually "NEEDED" 4x4 in TX because there's no snow, and off roading usually means driving on a ranch on hard-clay trails. We did get the rear lockers and Auto LSD, but again, rarely used them (and, the Scanguage shows a consistant 25+ MPG on the freeway when not leadfooting it, and no, you don't need premium fuel)

Now, that being said, we have move to Montana, and I wish I had the 4x4 now(!), so you may want to think about the future, and if you think you may find yourself taking hunting trips or recreating in Colorado, Wisconsin, etc...

I will say I am getting a lot of use out of my Lockers, Auto LSD, VSC, etc..., and they work great up here in the ice and snow, as long as you have the right tires. So, we're not trading in the FJ anytime soon...

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
I had my sequoia done 100% covered and it was $4000 This PM thing is crap I have been told it will cost about $650 to do the top of my FJ but considering doing the whole thing in Carbon fiber just haven't found the right print. Same $4000

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
IMO the FJ is a good daily driver. It is an easy vehicle to drive, has the get up and go when you need it and is very roomy.

Blind spots - not the problem every one is making it out to be. Adjust your mirrors properly and you'll be OK. You will have to spend more time in your side mirror when driving, the rear view is marginal at best.

MPG - determined by your driving habits, the FJ can be good but it can also me horrible.

91 Octane - Only recomended by Toyota not required. Is it better? It will be an endless debate. Let your conscience be your guide.

If you can, the 4x4 is nice you'll never know when you need it.

Mine has been a dailt driver for nearly 5 years. I normaly get bored wity vehicles after 2 years and get rid of them, this is a new record for me.
No need for me to say too much. Mikey said it all for me. Thanks Mikey.:rocker:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts