Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Kokopelli Moderator
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I was a "newbie" last year, and also since there are so many registrations for "newbies" this year....I thought a thread of "Must Haves" is in order! :)

First on the list--and what I thought was MOST important last year--is a CB radio. Even if you get a handheld unit, or upgrade to a Big Bill Combo (search for it or google it)--I feel it is a MUST.

The CB radio allows you to hear and talk to everyone while on the trail. Each time/date/trail has about 10-15 vehicles in a line....

Just my $0.02 worth. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
I agree on the CB 100%. I didn't have one my first year and I'm sure that I missed out on lots of good conversations and information. Last year, I had a CB and it was much more enjoyable as I really felt like I was part of the group rather than an outsider.

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
I really would consider the CB to be 'THE" must-have to enjoy the Summit. You don't need any other modifications or gas cans or whatever (although tougher aftermarket tires aren't a bad idea).

·
Registered
145 Posts
Here's the Big Bill Combo Link

The only changes I would make would be to not get the Firestik antenna and get a Wilson Flex 3 or 4 FT. (recommend the 4ft). With this antenna you won't need a spring at all. And I don't really like the quick disconnects either, they affect the SWR.
Is there that much difference in performance from the 4ft to the 3ft lenghts? I know it bends but I don't want it hitting all the low hanging trees either.

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
Is there that much difference in performance from the 4ft to the 3ft lenghts? I know it bends but I don't want it hitting all the low hanging trees either.
In general, longer antennas are better and antennas that are mounted higher are better. The ideal location for an antenna would be in the center of the highest portion (roof) of the vehicle. Otherwise, the chosen length should allow at least two thirds of the antenna to be above the highest part (roofline) of the vehicle. These are "ideals" for best performance.

PS - you won't encounter very many low hanging trees at the Summit. My antenna is 4 or 5' but I remove it except on trail runs.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Yes there is. In my experience, I got a much lower (better) SWR when moving from the exact same antenna from a 3' length to a 4'.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yes there is. In my experience, I got a much lower (better) SWR when moving from the exact same antenna from a 3' length to a 4'.
thanks, I guess I will be ordering the 4ft

·
Registered
934 Posts
I run the 4 ft and will be running the three foot soon. I have a spring and a quick disconnect and my SWR readings are very low on both hieghts. I will be using the 3 foot daily and the 4 foot on trial runs as I think I get farther reception with the 4 ft.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
As a note, I hit my 4ft off of trees at 50mph and it hasn't exploded yet. So I wouldn't worry too much about that.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
I just want to say that for some its a struggle to simply make it to the Summit. If ALL you bring is your truck and yourself, you will have a great time. You do not need any of the expensive mods to make it around the trails. Everyone is extremely eager to help and lend a hand if needed. Also since the trails get so backed up and everyone stops so often for pictures and CB is not really needed anyways except to just goof off. Just my .10

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Last year was my first time going.....here are some things I took and some things I wish I would have took:

1- CB with 4 foot firestick mounted on rear. Cobra WX75 mounted under console with mic clip on passenger side. GLAD I TOOK. Worked great on drive out from SC with my buddy and also for use in Ouray and surrounding trails.

2-C02 air setup- Mounted in rear on ds fender where bag hooks are normally located. Made airing up and down effortless nearly and very quick compared to some of the other options. I have 5lb tank and filled it a month before Ouray...filled my tires every day after trail rides from 20# up to 35# and then 40# for drive home. Also filled up to half a dozen other vehicle wheels while there...and still had enough to last me rest of summer wheeling locally. Glad I took.

3- Extra Fuel and Water cans- never needed but peace of mind was priceless..Glad I took. My buddy went to Moab and elsewhere afterwards and found out in Idaho I think that gas stations are further apart than some places....ooops.

Wish I would have taken-
1- Engle refrigerator/freezer instead of hauling 90qt cooler the entire way. Used regular ice in bags in bottom....stuff on top...blanket and then dry ice on top of blanket and lasted almost entire drive out and through events....last day was about spent....sloshing drove me crazy on way home. LOL

oh last thing....APPLE PIE! damn glad I took it and shared it at the Saloon! :D :D

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Must have?

most importantly....15 year old Bourbon to share with FJSummit Directors....

Oh, and CB radio, decent tires, and a camera are nice! I have found that a rear locker helps as well.:wave:

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
Even in July you'll want to bring a jacket and maybe some rain gear with you. Also pack some water and food for the trail. Some aspirin in case of high altitude headaches. I keep a small pack in my FJ at all times with all of these items, as well as a multi-tool, pen light, space blanket, fire starting stuff, etc.

And be sure to have extra batteries and a spare memory card for your camera, you will likely be taking hundreds of images while at the Summit.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Being a newbie last year Totally agree on the CB radio...picked up a nice handheld off of ebay for about $30. Worth every nickel..oh and bring a driver who's not afraid of heights like me...got out there and started to white knuckle it..luckily my hubby drove the rest of the trails and I had a great time...made some wonderful friends that we're looking forward to seeing this year :)

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Must have?

most importantly....15 year old Bourbon to share with FJSummit Directors....

Oh, and CB radio, decent tires, and a camera are nice! I have found that a rear locker helps as well.:wave:
Tim beat me 2 it, a CB is good to have but quality bourbon (Woodford Reserve) is imperative! :cheers:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts