Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here and wanted to possibly find out some information about an FJ cruiser my wife and I would like to purchase.
The vehicle is a 1983 FJ60 cruiser and has 252203 miles on it. I would like to know, how many miles are these vehicles good for? The owner claims he has done some engine work and rebuilt the carb but has not gone into detail about what he has done so far. I am waiting to hear back from him with answers to a few questions I have. Are there any particular things I should look for when checking this vehicle out that most people would not think to check out?

Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You would be better of going to the FJ60 section on IH8MUD Forum.
Tried to register and the word required to be entered to complete the registration will not let me enter it. The word is 'Rubber' and it will only allow me to enter part of the word..... rubb.

Guess that site is messed up :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried to register and the word required to be entered to complete the registration will not let me enter it. The word is 'Rubber' and it will only allow me to enter part of the word..... rubb.

Guess that site is messed up :(
Ok, see what I did wrong, but still is not accepting my info...LOL, oh well. I will search for a new forum,

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
I used to own an 84 FJ60 and the vehicle is built like a tank. That said, 252k miles is a lot.

They're easy to work on and a 2F motor can go on forever but like anything you have to do your homework. It will get you between 10-12 MPG and a total rebuild of the motor will run you 3-4000.00. Depending on what you buy it for it could be a good option for you and your family.

Without rust I would say this should be a 2-4K car. With rust 1-1500.00.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used to own an 84 FJ60 and the vehicle is built like a tank. That said, 252k miles is a lot.

They're easy to work on and a 2F motor can go on forever but like anything you have to do your homework. It will get you between 10-12 MPG and a total rebuild of the motor will run you 3-4000.00. Depending on what you buy it for it could be a good option for you and your family.

Without rust I would say this should be a 2-4K car. With rust 1-1500.00.
Thank you for your input.

The vehicle asking price is 2450.00, body is in good shape, no rust. It does have a minor dent in one door about the size of a baseball, but that is fixable.
Out of curiosity, what would you say as to how many miles this may have left on it....pending it has been taken care of.
It did sound like a lot of miles, at least for an American auto, they are pretty much shot with this type of mileage.
if we are good for anther 100K, then that is something I can work with.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
I would consider having the vehicle checked out by a mechanic. I hired one that came out to the guy's house and he pulled a compression test, check to see if it had signs of burning oil and other simple tests. It cost me approximately 1-150.00. It gave me piece of mind. To answer your question on how many miles left you have on the engine would be determined on how it checked out through the mechanic. My guess is that if nothing has been done to the motor you will need some work done pretty soon. Most engine overhauls are done on these around 200k.

When I bought mine (about 7 years ago) it had 42K original miles. I went through the trouble of verifying actual mileage through the testing and carfax. Of course, I paid 4 times what your seller is asking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would consider having the vehicle checked out by a mechanic. I hired one that came out to the guy's house and he pulled a compression test, check to see if it had signs of burning oil and other simple tests. It cost me approximately 1-150.00. It gave me piece of mind. To answer your question on how many miles left you have on the engine would be determined on how it checked out through the mechanic. My guess is that if nothing has been done to the motor you will need some work done pretty soon. Most engine overhauls are done on these around 200k.

When I bought mine (about 7 years ago) it had 42K original miles. I went through the trouble of verifying actual mileage through the testing and carfax. Of course, I paid 4 times what your seller is asking.
Great advice, I thank you once again :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
I would like to know, how many miles are these vehicles good for?
It all depends on how well they have been maintained. The 2F engine is a solid and very over-built, extremely strong design. They are good for 3-400,000 miles easily if the oil has been changed regularly and they have been otherwise well maintained. There is no timing chain or belt to wear out, and the pushrod valve train is bulletproof and low-maintenance.

Are there any particular things I should look for when checking this vehicle out that most people would not think to check out?
The biggest (and most expensive to fix) problem with these trucks is rust. They tend to rust in the wheel wells, under the door sills, and under the rear doors. If possible, buy one from the arid west/southwest.

On the engine and drive train, originality is much to be desired. Beware of aftermarket carbs and ignitions, headers, etc. A lot of them will leak some oil; the oil pan gasket and the pushrod side-cover gasket are common culprits, as is the rear main seal. Check the Birfield joints on the front axle; if they're really cruddy they need re-built. Check the oil level in both the transmission and transfer case; the oil seal between these will wear out and one will be almost empty and the other one over full. Check the compression of all cylinders if you can. They will run with almost no compression, but will burn oil and lack power without it.

Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It all depends on how well they have been maintained. The 2F engine is a solid and very over-built, extremely strong design. They are good for 3-400,000 miles easily if the oil has been changed regularly and they have been otherwise well maintained. There is no timing chain or belt to wear out, and the pushrod valve train is bulletproof and low-maintenance.

The biggest (and most expensive to fix) problem with these trucks is rust. They tend to rust in the wheel wells, under the door sills, and under the rear doors. If possible, buy one from the arid west/southwest.

On the engine and drive train, originality is much to be desired. Beware of aftermarket carbs and ignitions, headers, etc. A lot of them will leak some oil; the oil pan gasket and the pushrod side-cover gasket are common culprits, as is the rear main seal. Check the Birfield joints on the front axle; if they're really cruddy they need re-built. Check the oil level in both the transmission and transfer case; the oil seal between these will wear out and one will be almost empty and the other one over full. Check the compression of all cylinders if you can. They will run with almost no compression, but will burn oil and lack power without it.

Good luck with your search!
Thank you for the information. I looked over the vehicle and decided to walk away...lots of things did not look good and I wasn't even interested once I saw how they took car of the vehicle.

Still looking, though ;)

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Thank you for the information. I looked over the vehicle and decided to walk away...lots of things did not look good and I wasn't even interested once I saw how they took car of the vehicle.

Still looking, though ;)

Smart move. Keep trying to get on IH8MUD. There are far more 60 and 62 owners over there as this is primarily an FJ Cruiser forum. There is a section dedicated to the 60-62 series with more information than you can read in a week.

Good luck with your search:rocker:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts