Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say that I am excited to be a part of the FJ Club. :wave: I just purchased a slightly used 2008 FJ (under 20k miles). I look forward to customizing it and hopefully meeting a few of you along the way.:cheers:

Now to my first delima. I want to lift the FJ and I'm looking for an economical but quality lift. I am new to 4x4's but here are my thoughts. I don't want spacers, I think?? I need at least coils and shocks. My FJ has a warn front bumper and winch already on it, so I think I need heavy duty coils (is this correct?). I want to put 33's on it. I have a buddy that can get me bilsteins at cost.

So my question is... If I purchase the 3" coil setup from say Toytec and get the Bilstein 5100's from my buddy, would that be a good fit? Would I need to purchase anything else?

Please leave your comment and suggestions, they are greatly appreciated. Oh, also does anyone know if the lift voids Toyota's warranty?

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Congrats on the purchase!

Unfortunately I have no experiences with lifts and will be asking the same questions in due time....however, I can say, you are in the right place to get your questions answered....MANY smart, experienced and helpful people here that can help!

Good luck!

:cheers:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Welcome and enjoy!

As far as lifts go, I suggest you go without for a while. You can have a lot of fun while learning what would be best for you. I've been learning without lift now for over a year... and having lots of fun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the warm welcomes,

I'm just worried about the extra weight from the heavy duty bumper and winch. My current tires have decent tread on them still so trying to put that off until I need them. Looking at Dick Cepek DC-2's and unsure about which tires to go with. There are so many to choose from.

There are sooo many mods to make with little time and less money (gonna have to get a third job to really deck it out)

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Hello & Welcome!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcomes,

I'm just worried about the extra weight from the heavy duty bumper and winch. My current tires have decent tread on them still so trying to put that off until I need them. Looking at Dick Cepek DC-2's and unsure about which tires to go with. There are so many to choose from.

There are sooo many mods to make with little time and less money (gonna have to get a third job to really deck it out)
You might experience some nose dive with that bumper + winch up front. Whether it's more more than you can live with is something only you can decide.

My point is that while it is easy to spend money, harder to spend it wisely.

One additional thing I will note is that going with adjustable coil overs will give you flexibility down the road to adjust to future mods, including mods you might not yet have even considered.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CVkurt,

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess worst case scenario is if I leave it stock for now that the suspension may just wear down quicker with the weight and then I could replace/upgrade when needed.

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
take your time. search and read up on suspension threads. you're bound to come across many threads asking similar questions as you. you'll see the options and opinions offered and will be better informed when it's time to purchase your suspension.

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
welcome

1 - 11 of 11 Posts