Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 FJ manual transmission vehicle that I want to upgrade with the Method 105 Beadlocks, but I want to make sure these are ok for daily road use at fairly high speeds. How hard is it to maintain them?

I appreciate your feedback. Thank you!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I run them with 40" toyos on my '78 Hilux. They are quality wheels and I would not hesitate to run 75 mph on them. The last wheeling trip was in October and I finished the day with 4 lbs in the tires. Truck is sitting on the trailer with air still in the tires.

·
トヨタ Master
6,423 Posts
Just retorque them every 200 miles.

BTW, @Iconic Thorn's are not true bead locks I don't believe. Could be wrong. It happened one other time. LOL

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I run them with 40" toyos on my '78 Hilux. They are quality wheels and I would not hesitate to run 75 mph on them. The last wheeling trip was in October and I finished the day with 4 lbs in the tires. Truck is sitting on the trailer with air still in the tires.
I live in WY and drive 75 - 80 on paved roads with some fairly easy off roading in the mountains. Think I’ll be good with those rims?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I live in WY and drive 75 - 80 on paved roads with some fairly easy off roading in the mountains. Think I’ll be good with those rims?
Just retorque them every 200 miles.

BTW, @Iconic Thorn's are not true bead locks I don't believe. Could be wrong. It happened one other time. LOL
Is it easy to retorque them?

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,692 Posts
Very easy to torque, I also keep a little stick of blue loctite in the FJ in case I have to break one down for repairs. I have to be honest, I haven’t torqued these things since I left for Utah last summer. 😂
Hey btw I told you the incorrect wheel, it is the MR105 bead-lock in a -38 mm backspace not the 305. Been a long day.

·
トヨタ Master
6,423 Posts
Yes, it is easy. I actually bought a tool online that was preset for my Walker Evans bead locks (15lb/in. If I remember correctly). I don't remember the company but you can put it on a 3/8 ratchet or small drill or impact to retorque. Where in Wyoming are you? I'm in Laramie.
Very easy to torque, I also keep a little stick of blue loctite in the FJ in case I have to break one down for repairs. I have to be honest, I haven’t torqued these things since I left for Utah last summer. 😂
Hey btw I told you the incorrect wheel, it is the MR105 bead-lock in a -38 mm backspace not the 305. Been a long day.
So they are bead locks. I was wrong on that one. Did they actually turn when you retorqued them before Summit?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That’s the rim I want, but I often run 70 80 mph and don’t want any problems. Do you use a special tool to torque?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, it is easy. I actually bought a tool online that was preset for my Walker Evans bead locks (15lb/in. If I remember correctly). I don't remember the company but you can put it on a 3/8 ratchet or small drill or impact to retorque. Where in Wyoming are you? I'm in Laramie.
So they are bead locks. I was wrong on that one. Did they actually turn when you retorqued them before Summit?
I’m in Powell — up near Cody.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just a regular torque wrench you can get from any parts house, I keep one in my FJ. I run my FJ 100+ mph from time to time, no problem.
I think I’m going to go for it! Now I’m curious about the backspace. Do you have any pictures? Anything I need to consider? I reckon I’ll need some black lug nuts.

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,692 Posts
I think I’m going to go for it! Now I’m curious about the backspace. Do you have any pictures? Anything I need to consider? I reckon I’ll need some black lug nuts.
Get extended thread lug nuts you can find black ones on eBay, 12mm x 1.5 thread pitch. Depending on what backspace you get and the tire size you’ll need to perform a body mount chop and modify the inner fender slightly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My tires aren’t that big 285 70 17
If I get -38 mm back space do you think I’ll need those modifications? If so, I may not do any back space.

·
トヨタ Master
6,423 Posts
Get extended thread lug nuts you can find black ones on eBay, 12mm x 1.5 thread pitch. Depending on what backspace you get and the tire size you’ll need to perform a body mount chop and modify the inner fender slightly.
Um, unless you're running spacers, all Toyotas are 12X1.25 pitch. :cool:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts