Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I listen to AM/FM radio. Oem sound quality is fine.

I just want apple carplay and rear view cam on the screen.

I see lots of good 7 inch monitors there

1) my 2012 tt has oem camera in rear view mirror. Can that camera be input into new aftermarket head unit?

2) can my oem mic be used, or new mic need to be installed?

3) can my oem aux unit stay, or new aux for carplay needs to be installed by diff lock switches?

I want to retain steering stereo and phone controls

Thank you

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
These are the products I researched and ordered to have apple car play headunit, which uses the OEM camera, and OEM steering controls:

1)MicroBypass ALL AVH-X Video In Motion Interface for Select Pioneer Receivers

2) Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface

3) Maestro HRN-RR-TO1 Plug and Play T-Harness for TO1 Toyota Vehicles

4) Pioneer - 7" - Android Auto/Apple® CarPlay™ - Bluetooth - In-Dash DVD Receiver
Model:AVH-W4400NEX

5) Toyota/Lexus Harness 70-1761

6) Toyota DDIN Kit 95-8202

7) SWC Harness w/RCA for Toyota

Hope this will help someone in the future. Thanks to @Supasta for the incredible help!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
^^^ thanks for the call out sandFJ90210, but I didn't do much. Looking forward to hearing how it goes with yours :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^^ thanks for the call out sandFJ90210, but I didn't do much. Looking forward to hearing how it goes with yours
you helped out a noob!

I have owned 47 cars, this is my first head unit change.

Personally i like the oem old skool unit. But since this is our roadtrip vehicle wife wanted car play amd gps

Also the bigger tear view will be helpful more than rear view mirror camera

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Were you able to retain the use of the stock OEM mic? Or did you have to use the one that came with the stereo?
Yes, I am using the OEM mic.

How did I miss this thread...?

Did you do all this? Pics?
Yup, did all of this a while back. Very happy with it. Love the additional rear view camera, GPS, WIRELESS apple car play. All the car info (temps, psi etc). On my thread, its on page 6 I believe. But I am adding the pics here for you.
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/introductions-new-arrivals/732202-well-i-did-6.html

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey @sandFJ90210, I've got a lot of questions about this setup. I'm looking to do literally the exact same build you did here with the stereo & all its accessories.

Could I DM you or message you on FB or something? Just wanting to find out some things like:
  • Is this setup still working for you (lots of bad review for the stereo on Google)
  • Did you do this install yourself? If so, how difficult was it, how much knowledge did you have beforehand, and how did you maintain the steering wheel buttons/OEM camera? If you didn't, how much did you have to pay in labor to a shop to do the work?
A few more questions too, but I'd love to be able to talk to you more directly than comments for your help! Thanks man

1 - 10 of 10 Posts