Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone, im new to this site so please bear with me. I decided to sign in here because a good friend of mine mentioned that if i have questions about the fj cruiser that this will be the perfect place to get answers. I will be doing mostly city driving and once in a while off-roading. Can you guys give me your opinions as to why should i purchase an fj cruiser eventhough we know that the gas will be an issue? Is it worth buying the fj cruiser for city/highway driving than a scion xb if gas is my biggest concern? what do you guys think? And whats the reliability of this suv compare to any other suvs out there today? Thanks in advance.:rocker:

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
you're going to get very bias answers.... 40,000 some odd members that love the fj :rocker:

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I would also say, that among those vehicles whose primary intention is to be good off road (think Jeep Wrangler and Hummer H3), the FJ gets the best mileage.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Hello and welcome! As mentioned above, drive one, think about what you want it to do and decide for what is right for you.

·
Registered
10,440 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Heres my take,

I purchased a 4runner brand new in 2000 v6 3.4 liter engine for around 34k, and it was cool, drove like a truck, upgrades were plentiful and aftermarket TRD parts were warrantied by Toyota. That was a huge surprise.

When I looked into getting a used FJ, I got one around 30,000 miles at $21.5k and let the previous owner take the huge hit. I felt comfortable knowing Id get a solid vehicle with minor problems at most plus a little paint damage. But when I actually drove it I was impressed that the FJ drove as well as it did. I didn't hesitate when I found the right price because in my mind, Toyota never did me wrong, and I could tell the truck although being different than the 4runner, the company progressed nicely in the right direction.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Is it worth buying the fj cruiser for city/highway driving than a scion xb if gas is my biggest concern? what do you guys think? And whats the reliability of this suv compare to any other suvs out there today? Thanks in advance.:rocker:
If gas is an issue, don't buy a FJ... Or to be more precise: Don't buy any SUV... Get a Yaris or one of the VW TDI...

Reliability wise, you can't go wrong if you threat her well...

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
If gas is an issue, don't buy a FJ... Or to be more precise: Don't buy any SUV... Get a Yaris or one of the VW TDI...

Reliability wise, you can't go wrong if you threat her well...

:cheers:
Yep, if gas is your main concern, don't get a FJ. Stock mpg is ok, but once you get one and lurk on this site for a while...you WILL catch the mod bug, then mpg is an afterthought.

If you want mpg, go with the scion. If you want awesomeness every time you sit behind the steering wheel, then get a FJ.

·
Registered
13 Posts
To FJ23 -If you are more concerned about gas mileage, perhaps the FJ is just a passing fad for you. To own a FJ is in a big way a great sense of pride and a very cool experience. There is a feeling of being one with this vehicle, soul deep for us who own and drive our FJ's. It is a journey to experience and learn.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Coming from a newbie college student owner, i used to drive an Acura TL before my FJ, and i cant see a reason why i went wrong with it. After the TL was totalled, i was thinking of getting myself a nice calm good gas mileage hyundai sonata. I couldnt afford the gas on the TL and the maintenance costs were a bit overwhelming. I was all prepared to buy the sonata and the day before, i thought maybe an SUV would be a better choice because of my constant trips to the national parks near me. Last year alone i did 9 trips to sequoia, kings, and yosemite alone.So I shopped around and didnt find anything in the price range that i really liked. Gas was going to be a burden also. The last cars i test drove that day were the 4runner and the FJ, respectively. I entered the FJ i got a sudden shock in my body. the interior was simple and rugged ready and the exterior just SCREAMED. i test drove the car for almost 40 minutes. As soon as we got back to the dealer, i made the choice and just went for it. Left an hour later with my current 2010 FJ Black or BearClaws.

6 months later, i barely make it by with the payments and the gas cost, but i just am too happy. I ask myself why i did this and my answer is still the same. I made a very good choice and i happy. Went to Yosemite again last month and loved it. And now planning on making my first trip to the Grand canyon for the coming sprring break.

its a love it or hate it thing i guess. and i just love it

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Buy a used subcompact AND a used FJ. Hindsight being 20/20 that's what I woulda done.

·
Registered
477 Posts
FJ 23, are you still with us?

Have you driven a Scion and/or FJ yet?

Our neighbors had a Scion xB and loved their little toaster. They also took it off pavement on the gravel 2 lanes and dirt farm roads around here with no problem. It was fun to drive and also did well in rain and light snow. It's gas mileage was about 10mpg better than our mostly stock FJ. They had it several years and had no problems. It was traded in for a Subaru Outback as they wanted a larger vehicle for extensive camping.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yep, if gas is your main concern, don't get a FJ. Stock mpg is ok, but once you get one and lurk on this site for a while...you WILL catch the mod bug, then mpg is an afterthought.

If you want mpg, go with the scion. If you want awesomeness every time you sit behind the steering wheel, then get a FJ.
The key word here is Awesomeness. There is nothing like an FJ.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
FIrst welcome! you wont find a better support network!
If you truely that worried about gas milage, the cost and money... Get something Little that gets tons of miles to the gal. looks dumb and is unconfortable to drive, cant haul anything and no one can sit in the back seats....I hear Smart cars get great gas milage... just enough room for 1 and a breif case....
I strongly suggest you drive a XB.. then drive the FJ. You will be sold on the FJ. I wouldnt take A XB out a gravel road it will vibrate itself apart.
Im just biased as I own a FJ right?
Grew up in a ford Dealership, Ford cert Mechanic..20 yrs.
WIfes family is ALL Chevy, She worked as a service advisor for chevy & Ford
I have owned or driven everything from old Classics to exotics...Ford, chevy, dodge, olds, pontiac, Honda, Austin Healy, Merc, Jags, Saabs, Nissans....it goes on and on...and I own A FJ! I will suffer the Gas Prices... Nothing out there compares to it and I wont trade it off.
Good luck with your Decision. Buying a car when the economy and Fuel cost are Huge issues makes it that much more Difficult:cheers:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts