Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thre years in, I feel like I know (and like, given the constraints), how things are working.

But here's an idea for next year: many (most? all?) groups feel like they're in some kind of race. What about a group whose goal is to to take ALL DAY LONG to DILLY DALLY and take pictures? Or to take a picnic setup to any of the perfect spots and just sit back, no blaring CBs, no schedule, no ANYTHING, and SMALLER, maybe 4-8 people?

I had the best time I've ever had at the summit today, not just because Imogene is ALWAYS great, and not just because I had a great (8:30) group, but also because on the way back, I did Ophir solo, and very, VERY slowly. I mean like two hours from the town of Ophir itself to the pass. Pulling over, walking around, sitting on rocks doing nothing, taking pictures, drinking coffee....

....sure, I can always do that myself. But in a SMALL group of summiteers, it could be fun to do the same thing (and safer), while a small group is less obtrusive, and if it had some kind of shared interest (say, as noted above, a picnic lunch or photography), it could be a great addition, rather than change of focus, to the way groups are organized.

Chris / Spincycle

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
Chris, we did Imogene last year, and I had a lot of fun. I'm missing you guys this year.

My wife and I did feel that rush too. I think it's part of the nature of the beast with so many FJ's. I wonder if there could be a pre or post summit 2 day get together like the one that will be going on in Moab starting Mon. Not terribly organized or big for that matter, just some friends, some trucks, and some PB&J.

·
Banned
457 Posts
See if you can get a hold of ocr14a (Steven). He lives around Boulder as well and is in Ouray right now.

He might be interested in doing a slower paced run and he definitely likes to take pictures.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Thre years in, I feel like I know (and like, given the constraints), how things are working.

But here's an idea for next year: many (most? all?) groups feel like they're in some kind of race. What about a group whose goal is to to take ALL DAY LONG to DILLY DALLY and take pictures? Or to take a picnic setup to any of the perfect spots and just sit back, no blaring CBs, no schedule, no ANYTHING, and SMALLER, maybe 4-8 people?

I had the best time I've ever had at the summit today, not just because Imogene is ALWAYS great, and not just because I had a great (8:30) group, but also because on the way back, I did Ophir solo, and very, VERY slowly. I mean like two hours from the town of Ophir itself to the pass. Pulling over, walking around, sitting on rocks doing nothing, taking pictures, drinking coffee....

....sure, I can always do that myself. But in a SMALL group of summiteers, it could be fun to do the same thing (and safer), while a small group is less obtrusive, and if it had some kind of shared interest (say, as noted above, a picnic lunch or photography), it could be a great addition, rather than change of focus, to the way groups are organized.

Chris / Spincycle

Hey Chris this is a great idea. I think we could have each day one run, on each of the trails that is the last run, so say leaving at 9:30, which that group could take all day and dilly daly and really enjoy themselves.

I like it. I'm writing it down for next year.

:rocker:

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm hoping to go next year and this sounds great to me...count me in. :clap:

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Chris this is a great idea. I think we could have each day one run, on each of the trails that is the last run, so say leaving at 9:30, which that group could take all day and dilly daly and really enjoy themselves.

:rocker::rocker::rocker:

Excellent!

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Hey man! for as much as we have butted heads on this forum, I have to say that it was good to meet you, shake your hand and talk with you even if just a little(talk that is). Hopefully we can do some runs in the future!:wave:

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey man! for as much as we have butted heads on this forum, I have to say that it was good to meet you, shake your hand and talk with you even if just a little(talk that is). Hopefully we can do some runs in the future!:wave:
Likewise! And I'm pretty sure I'm done butting heads here...or at least keeping the butting to nerf-style. :lol:

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Likewise! And I'm pretty sure I'm done butting heads here...or at least keeping the butting to nerf-style. :lol:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:10-4!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Mods, would you please move this thread (assuming Chris is OK with that) to the 2009 section?

·
Registered
838 Posts
My wife had the same complaint, that we seemed to be flying thru the trails this year, decided that we would take trails the 3 days prior and explore and take pictures if the summit was going to be a race again. Or you could have 1 hr between trail runs

·
Registered
936 Posts

:clap: I think this is a good idea, only you may need more than one run/trail a day, Alpine loop would probally not be a good one to dilly/dally on though, my alpine run was run @ a fast pace and it still took 8 1/2 hrs. possibly a yankeee boy run, there is a trail head up at the end that could be hiked and lots of flowers to see.

·
Premium Member
8,984 Posts
This is a very good idea and an easily integrated idea.

It would help separate those who are unhappy either going slow or going fast.

Of course, keep in mind that if it is the last group to leave then the "dilly-dally" factor may bring them back to headquarters pretty late and maybe even partially negate the idea behind it all. We're passing others or permitting others to pass all the time on the trail. Is it that big of a deal if it's say an 8:00 group and another group or two has to pass the slower group ?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Similar complaint from us. It sort of depended on the group majority and the lead. On one run it seemed like the testosterone folks wanted to see how fast they could go. It wasn't a hard trail but the rocks we were flying over just sent stuff bouncing around inside the FJ and beat the stuffing out of us, not to mention the dust we were eating. It wasn't that way on the run we went on with Seth leading on Saturday (thanks Seth). We went back solo on one trail just so we could stop, take pictures and dilly dally around with no pressure to keep up.

Add that to the problem that my wife has a fear of heights and she has said now that she doesn't want to come back. We've had 4x4s for almost 30 years and what we enjoy is using them to view nature, the mountains and to get away from the stress of the city and our job.

I did want to say that this summit has really improved from the 1st one (and the 1st one was great) the directors and volunteers did a great job. :clap::clap:

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
My wife and I always go to Ouray for a week in July.
Once we got the FJ, we changed the week to coincide with the Summit.
This year, we extended it to two weeks (we got there on the 3rd).

We had plenty of time to go out on the trails and do whatever we wanted on our own before Summit time. So, for us, the faster pace of the Summit trail runs this year was actually delightful.

Last year (that is, in 2008, before we started leading trail runs), our Imogene trail run somehow ended up taking 8 hours (just for the Imogene part; not even including going back over Ophir, or getting back to town). We got passed by about three groups and the last two were pushing us down the mountain into Telluride on the other side.

There were a few jabs about me holding everyone up due to getting out on the Telluride side to get a fresh set of batteries from the back and take a photo while I was out of the vehicle, but clearly, my 30 second stop had nothing to do with turning a 4 hour trail run into an 8 hour run.

Although we had never done it this way before, so couldn't really say for sure, I've always thought that a straight drive of Imogene would be about 3 hours (not that I'd ever actually want to just drive it straight through without any fun stops, but still...). This year, we did a little experiment...

During the week prior to Summit, we set out to drive over Imogene and time it with stop watches. We had one stop watch to keep track of actual drive time and another to keep track of the stops for photos, picnic, potty, or whatever.

As it turned out, it only took us 2 hours and 34 minutes of actual driving time to get all the way from the right turn off of highway 550 in Ouray where we first got onto the gravel, Camp Bird road (by the Ouray Mountain Rescue facility and Box Canyon Falls) to the place where Imogene dumps out into that neighborhood in Telluride and you have to take a left turn onto a regular, city street.

Of course, we could have done it even quicker if I had intended to run it like I was training for my next race, but we specifically wanted it to just be a regular drive of the pass. Not only that, I even took the time to roll up and over or down and through every single possible optional obstacle that I could find along the way, and the drive time was still just 2.5 hours.

Add in our stops (including a picnic on the rocks at the old mine on the other side of the pass) totalling ~1.5 hours, and it's pretty much a 4 hour trip (remember, that's just for the Imogene part; i.e. from Ouray to Telluride).

If we wanted to, we could spend a lot of time at a few more places, and still come out of there with a great day of driving and scenery and hundreds of spectacular photos after 5 hours.

I think what is needed is to take a poll to gauge interest in the various ways of doing a trail run and at least attempt to plan accordingly.

These examples are only times for the Imogene Pass portion of the day...

3 hours - Drive it straight through without stopping for photos or obstacle fun at all. This would probably be the least popular run of Imogene, since even after running it many times, I'm always going to want to stop and take photos (even if I already have a couple hundred of the same exact waterfall or whatever) and play around a little on the obstacles along the way. I put 3 hours instead of the 2.5 it took us because there's always going to be something that comes up with a group.

4 hours - Stop a few times for short photo ops (and maybe lunch in Telluride). This is how our run of Imogene was this year, and I liked the pace very much. We had plenty of time for photos at critically beautiful spots, and we played around a little (especially the steep spot where all of those yelloow Jeeps stopped and everyone got out to take photos of us goign up it) and yet we got through the trail in enough time to still have some fun together with the rest of our day (we ended up eating together at the Brown Dog Pizzaria in Telluride and going back over Ophir - we obviously could have taken the quicker route via 62 through Ridgway, but were really enjoying hanging out with the people we were on the trail run with and decided to just go the slow route and maximize that hanging out time with them).

5 hours - Add a stop for a picnic at the mine. This is a completely reasonable amount of time for this type of run.

6 hours - Obstacle/play-time run - Spend an extended time playing on the obstacles along the way, taking photos of eachother's rigs posing on rocks, or making it over or through or whatever. This group would not have the intent of getting through the entire trail run quickly from start to finish, but may indeed go very quickly from one 'playground' to the next in order to maximize their play time on the rocks, or going for a teeter-totter down the declines in the little offshoots on the other side, etc.

8 hours - Nothing wrong with this at all if this is your thing and it is clearly stated prior to trip planning that the group will take this long from one end to the other. I'd suggest that anyone that genuinely desires to take this long to do Imogene Pass should start up a thread in next year's Summit section, gather those interested and coordinate with the Summit organizers to make sure they can fit this kind of run in somewhere. Heck, if I knew about it before-hand, I'd even be willing to lead this kind of trail run over Imogene.....I just can't get enough of that place, and it'll never get old for me.

Again, those times are ONLY for the portion of the trip from Ouray to Telluride by going over Imogene Pass.

That said, our norm, for the whole driving event for an Imogene/Ophir trail run day (including going over Imogene from Ouray to Telluride, photo stops, potty stops, lunch in Telluride, and then taking Ophir Pass to 550 and then north on that back to Ouray) is about 8 hours. So, if we leave the parking lot in Ouray at 8:00 a.m. on our usual Imogene/Ophir trail run day, we normally get back to Ouray at about 4:00 p.m. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Thread moved to 2009 section.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mods, would you please move this thread (assuming Chris is OK with that) to the 2009 section?
It was meant to be originally anyway...move away!

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
It's already moved, bro :)
Jared did it earlier today.

BTW, this is a great topic, and long overdue for this Event.
Not that it sucks without this idea in the mix (cause the Summit is great anyway), but this is just one more cool thing they could do to add yet another unique aspect to an already brilliant and wonderful time together in the mountains. Thanks for bringing it up. :bigthumb:

·
Kokopelli Moderator
3,236 Posts
I love the idea as well. My wife and I really enjoyed one of our days, but the other one seemed very rushed. Our solution? We are going to Ouray for the whole week--Sunday through Sunday and using Monday through Wednesday for our "pokey" runs and then have fun with the crowd on Thursday through Saturday!

:clap: Best of all worlds! :clap: Plus more time in Ouray! :clap:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts