Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
So, here's a hypothetical situation that's not so hypothetical:

- Black Bear, Imogene, etc. are photogenic
- They're also the routes most in demand (as opposed, to, say....Alpine Loop)
- Slower groups leaving latest is
- a) good for keeping things moving
- b) bad for them getting back in time
- The reverse is all the same, just in reverse.

So let's assume:
- 3 days of runs
- 2 days, runs operate normally, but with slower/photo/whatever groups leaving last
- 1 day, slower/photo/whatevr runs leave FIRST, even if that means really early, with a break before following groups. (good for sunrise summit shots, etc).

Additional sugestion:
- In addition to informal night runs, how about formal 'evening' (or, to make them sound more palatable to land managers and restarateurs, 'sunset' ) runs? i.e., make it to the summit of 'X' or at 'Scenic Spot Y' by 'Time of Day Y' for photos, enjoy the nighttime descent.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Up for slow and photos..yes did not like the race feeling. Beleive if people want to go fast, then they should not be in a group and go solo or with the like

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts

- Black Bear, Imogene, etc. are in high demand

So let's assume:
- 3 days of runs
- 2 days, runs operate normally, but with slower/photo/whatever groups leaving last
- 1 day, slower/photo/whatevr runs leave FIRST, even if that means really early, with a break before following groups. (good for sunrise summit shots, etc).

Assitional sugestion:
- In addition to informal night runs, how about formal 'evening' (or, to make them sound more palatable to land managers and restarateurs, 'sunset' ) runs? i.e., make it to the summit of 'X' or at 'Scenic Spot Y' by 'Time of Day Y' for photos, enjoy the nighttime descent.
If I remember correctly, our Forest Service Permit does not allow for formal night runs. I can talk to Ty about it for next year, but to my knowledge, we don't organize a formal one because we can't.

Thanks for all the other ideas!

·
Registered
936 Posts
If I remember correctly, our Forest Service Permit does not allow for formal night runs. I can talk to Ty about it for next year, but to my knowledge, we don't organize a formal one because we can't.

Thanks for all the other ideas!
I'am sure that is true, wouldn't want a participant going OTE, Insurance would probaly be another issue

·
Registered
838 Posts
Of course next year there will be 6 feet of snow everywhere, and rain everyday, all day long

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
I'am sure that is true, wouldn't want a participant going OTE, Insurance would probaly be another issue
I'll make a note to check the underwriters about this, it's probably not an insurance issue though the Forest Service and BLM may have a different opinion.

Maybe just me, but I personally like the night runs being impromptu and independently arranged. We are not really "summer camp" so having free time for people to do what they want is good.:) So just having forum arranged groups may be better. Just remember to post up next year before 2010 FJS!

I had a blast riding with Seth on a night run in the Metal Tech monster ( thanks Mark!). :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I like the idea of slow runs being optional. I led Last Dollar/Ophir Thursday and went quite slow and made plenty of photo stops. We even did a side trip to Alta Lakes as all were in agreement they wanted to see that area. I felt that if the following group caught up we would just pull over and let them go. Never did see them.

I stayed on in Ouray for 8 days after the Summit and did several leasurely rides. A sunset/night ride to the top of Yankee Boy done at a pretty good pace, at least coming down, not much to see beyond the lights. Also did a slow ride to the top of Imogene and took all the photos I did not feel right about stopping when I did the scheduled run. Stayed late and cooked my dinner above Upper Camp Bird mine. Sat in my chair for a couple of hours with binoculars just to watch traffic coming down from the pass. Amazing what strange driving quirks you will see. Wish I had sound too!

One caution on slower rides that may get in late: the longer you stay at elevation the more likely you will encounter bad weather. We were very lucky the weather for the Summit was so good, it has not been ever since with T-storms nearly every afternoon, a few darn severe.

Ace

·
Registered
46 Posts
I like this idea too...My husband had the exact same idea...had to double check who posted it! :rofl:

I led Last Dollar/Ophir on Thursday...we were the last group, so I took it kind of slow....would like to have spent more time out there. If it is your first time out there, the scenery is overwhelmingly beautiful. Our first run at Summit #1 was Alpine Loop...we must have 300 pictures from that day alone.

I would love a slow picnic kind of day...time to let the dogs out.

speaking of pictures...I haven't uploaded anything here yet, but if anyone is on Facebook...look me up and send a friend request...mention FJ...
Jill Haas Ottoson or nickname "DoberMom"

See ya next year!:wave:

·
Registered
59 Posts

- Black Bear, Imogene, etc. are photogenic

So let's assume:
- 3 days of runs

Additional sugestion:
You may also want to consider day of the week in this thought process. Even thought it's summer, Thursday will still see fewer non-FJ groups using the trails than Saturday for sure, and obviously Friday being somewhere in-between. Thursday would probably be your best day for slower runs. Earlier start time is probably the best bet as well. The folks that are interested in running the trails faster seem to be allergic to 6 am. :)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts