Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Never seen that bumper before, but to just pull this out of my @ss, doesn't look like you can mount a winch on that. If that's important to you.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Yeah I just double checked myself, unless you modify it, it doesn't say anything about a winch mounting plate, nor does it look like it is an option. Personally, I want a bumper that I can mount a winch on one day, should I decide to get one.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya im in the same boat as you capt. Its tough, i wanted the demello but its so damn expensive for me right now but this nfab bumper seems like a good deal with pricing plus the warranties . Im sitting here debating whether to hit the buy now button. lol eh.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
well that didn't work, i was trying to add a pic of the bumper.

But, from the looks of the pics, the bumper only uses the 4 frame bolts on each side of the front frame horns. These have been proven to not be strong enough alone for a bumper. It needs to have a tie in back to the frame (usually, that bolt hole right next to the recovery points).

Right behind where the 4 bolts are on each side of the frame, there are little dimples in the frame. These are there and designed to allow that section of the frame (that would be holding the little small bracket real bumper behind the plastic) to crush.

I wouldn't get it for this reason.

If you don't mind waiting and possibly driving, you might be able to score a great deal on a used bumper or a group buy. I think metal techs bumpers are on a group buy right now for like 700 or 750 or something, it's really low. They make great, well engineered everything.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know the bash plate on this doesnt have a cut out in it but i wonder if there would be enough room in the future to install a winh behind and have a custom plate made up. hmm.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Layonn, thanks for the headsup. Im a complete noob to be honest about the strong points of the frame you were talking about. Ya ide be all for a group buy if its something that catches my eye. 700-750 is a great price for me at this time.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Yeah, i'd for sure go with the metal tech front bumper. After seeing how well made they are in person, i wish i would have gone with one for my 80 series Land Cruiser. Especially after meeting and hangin out with Mark Hawley at the Jamboree, he is one of the owners of Metal-Tech and seen here spotting me through a rock course. Great dude! You can get their bumper with either a bash plate/skid plate or a winch mount.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Layonn have any pics with the skid / bash plate? Just to see what they look like in comparison.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
From that thread:

First is the bashplate. Mark goes into detail in the thread Capt posted above about it. It is seriously beefy and could take a pretty solid hit.

The winch plate section, IIRC, is actually removeable? If it was easily removeable, which i can't remember, that would be nice to only have it on when you go wheeling. Would keep the winch out of the elements, save on gas from not having the extra weight, etc. Just not sure how easy it is to take on and off, might not be feasible.

"

Our winch mounts now have integrated pull points due to popular request as well:

"

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Layonn have any pics with the skid / bash plate? Just to see what they look like in comparison.
All you need to do is check out the link I posted. It's all there. But in the intrest of makeing life easier. Here.

with plate;

with winch mount;

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
slow fail.

:lol:

All you need to do is check out the link I posted. It's all there. But in the intrest of makeing life easier. Here.

with plate;

with winch mount;

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To be honest i like the looks of the demello style winch bumper or even the nfab alittle better than the MT bumper. . I am not doubting metal tech's sturdy and obviously great products. Just personal preference in style i guess. (no flame zone) :lol:

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
To be honest i like the looks of the demello style winch bumper or even the nfab alittle better than the MT bumper. . I am not doubting metal tech's sturdy and obviously great products. Just personal preference in style i guess. (no flame zone) :lol:
I wasn't really a fan of the tube style til the metal tech.

I actually think Demello has a group buy going on as well. Jason Demello is a great dude as well. He was also at the Jamboree.

I just helped a local guy install one of the single hoop bumpers they have on his FJ. Also very well made. I almost bought the 3 hoop style bumper they make for my FJC.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i liked the single hoop bumper aswell. Btw there hybrid sliders have been great and would love to grab a bumper to go along with but money is tight. whats new,lol. I guess ill have to keep my eyes out for these group buys.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I went with toyoutfitters. I had stan make me up a winch bumper with stinger, and instead of his tiny little headlight covers I had him make a full brush guard. One of these days I'll take pictures, start a build thread, learn to play the harmonica, finish my brussels sprouts, and maybe even right a book about a pony named Fred.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts