Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to McLean Creek in Bragg today with my Bro. He drives a beefed up TJ.
We did the Top of the World run again. (My second time up there in the FJ.)
I love this run. We enter at the South end of the trail (big field on east side of the road) and come out at the North end. (Fisher West I believe it is called.) What a beautiful run. For those of you interested, my FJ is a B class auto....totally stock. There are 3 'lips' that are a challenge to crawl up, but other than that....excellent stock run. By the way...the stock FJ does all 3 lips quite easily. No hitting bottom.
LOCKERS ROCK!
We went mud hunting after that and it was fun too....just not as nice as that Top of the World run.

Anyway....I love my FJ. I hate my stock tires, but what can ya do when it's your daily driver? (And your wife holds your pocket book.)
If anyone is looking for a nice climbing drive to do with a stock setup, I would suggest finding a friend with a winch and doing this run. Although I've never needed one yet....a winch is always a good thing to have around.

Peace out...

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Top of the World is a nice run. It has a wicked view from the top and can be done in just a couple hours. I don't think a winch is necessary unless you are alone, as long as there is another truck and it has a recovery strap of some sort you'd be good to go.

Hard to tell, but this was taken at the Top of the World

·
Registered
102 Posts
Congrats Ragweed on the run. I lived out there for 16 years but never had a 4x4. Was getting ahead and raising a family but now that I am in the interior of BC I bought the FJ.

I know exactly what you are talking about because I did quite a bit of hiking in the Bragg Creek / Kananaskis area.

Well my daughter just got accepted to SAIT so I'll be going back and forth. Perhaps I'll take a detour and try the run.

How long did it take you to do the trail?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's about two hours total I think.
Only two things to really worry about....
- If you're stock, go with another who has a winch...just in case. (If you're lifted and treaded, you should have no problem with any of it. I'd take a friend anyway though.)
- If you're stock, watch out for the first trail down from top of the world. It's a rock crawl down hill and could prove challenging on your tie-rods and such. It will put a lot of weight on your front end. There's an alternate route just back the way you came up the peak. (If you do it from the south entrance as I did.)

On that second point, anyone do that downhill crawl stock? I keep looking at it and I really think the cruiser can do it, but I'm just worried about the weight and slipping on the stock tires.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I did it on stock tires with a lift. Just put it in 4Lo and stuck the MT in 1st and walked down it no problem. Didn't air down that day either.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh man......may have to try that the next trip up.
If I break, I'll just tell the wife that this guy TiFJ did it. ;)

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Go ahead... blame it on me! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts