Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was beefing up my scuba kit connections with heat shrink tubing and I decided to try to find a better place to mount my breather filters. I also decided to relocate the front diff breather too. When we were relocating the T-case and manual trans breather, my friend accidently busted my engine cover. I like it better without it anyhow. So after I took off the cover, I was left with some threaded holes high on top of the engine. It is the perfect spot for the relocated breathers. Looks pretty cool too IMO.

I decided to do the front diff because although it is already fairly high, I was left with a vacant filter because the Trans and T-case are vented by the same hose. So I just figured I might as well do it. I thought I'd just pull the breather off the hose and splice the new tube in and run it to the new filter. I wasn't able to just pull the breaher off the tube. Unlike the e-locker breather, the front diff is like glued into the tube. The base of the cap is also much wider than the e-locker. So, I had to pry the cap off the breahter and use the method I though I needed for the manual Trans. Just a small bit of 10mm rubber hose, two small worm clamps, and a quick connect fitting. Inexpensive and easy.

Here are a few pics of the new location of the breathers and the front diff extension.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oops, I forgot to post the pic of the front diff breather with the cap pryed off. Just use a small flat screwdriver to pry out the indents at the base of the cap, then use some needle nose pliars to pull the cap off. If it is not comming off easily enough, spend more time prying the base out. You don't want to damage or gouge the plastic lip holding the cap in place. You need that lip to be intact because this is what will hold the new tube in place and keep it water tight. Once you have the clamps tightened down, it is all good. I used a little heat shrink tubing on all the connections for some added security. I also stuck little hose clamps on for the hell of it. They are completely not needed. Now I feel really secure with dealing with water crossings.

Attachments

·
Registered
606 Posts
off topic but that's a clean under the hood. I am jealous... I have many hours of scrubbing and powerwashing to do under there... :( I am even afraid of taking my engine cover off :(:boohoo:

·
Registered
952 Posts
Toledo FJ,
Clean installation.

Where did you find the components?
Do you have a list of parts (and/or #)?

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
off topic but that's a clean under the hood. I am jealous... I have many hours of scrubbing and powerwashing to do under there... :( I am even afraid of taking my engine cover off :(:boohoo:
While there's nothing to be afraid of, the engine cover has another purpose in addition to covering the engine for aesthetic reasons - it also directs air pulled by the fan up and over the top of the engine to dissipate heat - not a big deal most of the time, but much more important in high-temp conditions like the calif desert or stop and go traffic. I recommend keeping the cover intact whenever possible for maximum cooling effect...

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Nice install....

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is interesting about the engine cover aiding in cooling. Never heard of that. Everyone I asked said that they just throw those things on there cause they don't make engines pretty like they used to. Just a way to cover up all that ugly plastic. I'm gonna look into it a little more, but thanks for the heads up. I am rarely in the desert, and I haven't noticed any overheating problems in stop and go traffic, but I'll keep my eye on it (it is my DD). Is this also a concern for supercharged engines? They don't have a cover either.

Targa88,
The kit I used is from a company in AU called Extreme Limits Offroad. They sell kits for extending breathers. Each kit does two breathers, so you'll need two. They call one the diff kit and one the trans/T-case kit, but they are the same. These kits are not inexpensive so, IF MONEY IS AN ISSUE THIS ISN'T THE WAY TO GO. You can get the same result for around $60 as opposed to $300 for two kits from Extreme Limits Offroad.

You can buy most of the parts in the kit at a hydraulic supply store for very little money. The only thing you can't get, and the reason the Kit is so expensive, is the breather filters and billet filter mount. You can use a number of filter options if you are going to DIY, but they won't be as pretty. Here is a link to ELO for the kits. If you want to DIY, PM me and I can help you out. I actually have extra stuff for the mod.... connectors, tubing, etc, so I may be able to hook you up.
Extreme Limits Offroad | 4x4 Accessories | Off Road Equipment | 4wd Accessory | Winches | Suspension
Accessories

Nice, looks like they came down a little on the price. Only $124 per kit now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts