1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[TONIGHT!!! - WEDNESDAY NIGHT!!!]

[Probably doing Miller Rock]

Howdy, y'all.
We're back in town, and since we didn't get to go offroading very much on our 3,000+ mile trip to Wisconsin, then to Texas and back to CO, we're heading out with OK_FJ tomorrow night after work.

OK_FJ is in town on vacation, and we're hooking up for some offroading, Colorado-Style (that is, in the snow at night; just how we like it).

Caribou Creek is closed, and so are Bunce, West Magnolia and Winiger Ridge.

Switzerland Trail is still open, and we discussed that at first, but then when Miller Rock was mentioned in the conversation, I contacted the Ranch.

Well, they're leaving it open for us and they know we'll be going through 'at night' and 'in the dark' and they're OK with that.

JammerGirl and I will be eating dinner at the California Pizza Kitchen in the 29th Street Mall area, and trying to meet up with everyone in the Home Depot parking lot around 5:30 PM.

Any chance anyone else can come out and play?

If we don't get anyone else, we'll still go out, but we'll probably take it easy. If we have more people (especially people with winches), we might be able to get into it a bit more.

UPDATE:
We'll probably be doing Miller Rock.

Meeting Place: Boulder Home Depot
Meeting Time: 5:30-6:00
CB channel: 7 (alt=4)
Trail: Probably Miller Rock

WHO's IN
OK_FJ (Black Cherry)
OCR14a (Sandstorm)
FJC Boulder (Titanium)
FJinCO (Titanium)

WHO MIGHT BE
bodhizafa (Iceberg)
Madman#1 (Titanium)
anyone else?

UPDATE:
Here's the link to my page about this trail run -->LINK<--

·
Registered
717 Posts
I'll be at work followed by school. Yep, back at it.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I might be able to make it, I'll know for sure tomorrow. ocr14a I'm going to PM you my cell # because I might be away from the PC for most of the day.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll be at work followed by school. Yep, back at it.
:mecry:
but cool that you get to do some learnin
hope to see you out here sometime this winter, bro

I might be able to make it, I'll know for sure tomorrow. ocr14a I'm going to PM you my cell # because I might be away from the PC for most of the day.
Cool. Got your PM.....phone number is in my phone's contacts.....hope to see you out there tomorrow night.

For everyone else.....like I told FJC Boulder,

If we don't talk and you end up coming out and it seems like you may have just missed us, I'd suggest heading North on the Peak to Peak highway and starting out on the Switzerland Trail

HERE

...head East on the ST from there, and hopefully we'll meet up.

However, if the drifts are too deep for you when you're coming East from there, there's a good chance we turned back.

Otherwise, maybe look for us somewhere in these Nat. Forest roads East and NorthEast from here.

The snow can be deep in there too, and there are a couple steep and slippery spots we may not want to traverse in those conditions. So, it's possible we'll hike them, check out the situation and turn back from there too.....won't know how bad it is till we get there tomorrow night.

Oh, we'll be on CB channel 7....unless too much interference from other snow bashers (not likely), in which case we'll be on 4.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Wish I could join you, but I can't get out of work that early.

FYI, Miller Rock is runnable these days. We were up there on the 1st, and the deepest snow was maybe 8 inches.

Have fun.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wish I could join you, but I can't get out of work that early.

FYI, Miller Rock is runnable these days. We were up there on the 1st, and the deepest snow was maybe 8 inches.

Have fun.
Ooo, Miller Rock. Thanks, Rob (sorry you can't make it). That would be a good one.
I will contact them today to see if it would be OK to come through their place at night. ....though, I suppose we could just do a turn-around.....not like we'd be running into anyone on our way back out at night. We'll see.

Does anyone know for sure whether Caribou Creek Trail is still open/passable?
I will check on that too, but just thought I'd ask in case anyone's been there lately.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
According to the Boulder Ranger District, Caribou Creek is closed, and so are Bunce, West Magnolia, Winiger Ridge, and pretty much everything else - except Taylor Mountain, but that may be too far to go for this time).

So, we'll most likely just hit the Switzerland Trail (most likely starting out at Sugarloaf in Boulder) and the Nat. Forest roads South of there.

I will be attempting to contact the Ranch this afternoon to find out about Miller Rock. If everyone's OK with the turn-around thing, we may just do that anyway though.

We'll decide for sure once we're all together at the meeting place (5:30 @ Boulder Home Depot).

So far, it's OK_FJ, myself and JammerGirl and FJC Boulder (and he called to invite someone else as well).

Anyone else wana get in a night run before it's all snowed in and we have to start bashing it again?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Got a question about Switz trail. Being new to offroad I was wondering how easy this trail is in the FJ? It seemed like a narrow dirt road when I had my dual sport up there this summer. Are you guys taking any of the off-shoot trails on it? Just wondering as a newbie.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got a question about Switz trail. Being new to offroad I was wondering how easy this trail is in the FJ? It seemed like a narrow dirt road when I had my dual sport up there this summer. Are you guys taking any of the off-shoot trails on it? Just wondering as a newbie.
Good questions.

As for the main trail itself, it is so easy that I used to drive my 1989 Acura Integra over the entire length of it - just because I could. There are some fun spots to stop and play on rocks, etc, but they are optional, and for the most part, the rest of the trail is pretty much just an ocasionally bumpy gravel/dirt road.

As for wideness.... the ST is wide enough to fit at least 2 (sometimes 3) rigs side-by-side most of the way. There are only a few places where it gets narrow enough so that you'd have to 'find a place' to pull over in order to let someone else go by if they were coming the opposite direction or wanted to pass. ....and it's never too narrow for a single vehicle.

^^^^
That is, for these sections...

1. from the Peak to Peak highway (just North of Nederland) Eastward to Sugarloaf

2. from Sugarloaf North-Westward to Sunset

3. from Sunset Northward to Gold Hill Rd.

Then, there is also the section from Gold Hill Rd. Northward to the dead end (man-made landslide from when they put Sawmill Rd. through). That section is very tight and scratchy in some spots on the South end, but we probably won't get there at all....it's usually closed in winter due to a nearby resident plowing snow up right at the entrance point and it's almost impossible to get passed....and we're not looking for that much adventure tonight anyway.

Beyond that, yes, there are lots of offshoots along thew way, and if we have time and if there's interest, we may hit some of them. Some of them are tight as well, but we will not go there....just not interested in adding to my pinstripes at this time :p

So, if you're concerned about pin-striping, don't worry on this one. We will be taking it easy for sure.

If you can make it, that'd be great.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
A large group ran miller rock on Saturday. I am thinking about it.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Man I wish I could get out early today. Unfortunately I'm stuck in meetings until 11.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A large group ran miller rock on Saturday. I am thinking about it.
I guess that must have been the group that Rob went with...

...FYI, Miller Rock is runnable these days. We were up there on the 1st, and the deepest snow was maybe 8 inches.
Man I wish I could get out early today. Unfortunately I'm stuck in meetings until 11.
Yikes! What kind of meetings keep you that late? Hope it's for something fun. :)

Okay. See you in a few hours.
Sweet! :clap:
Is Mrs.FJinCO coming too?

By the way, I just spoke with the folks at the Ranch, and they're gonna leave it open for us. So, I say we go do Miller Rock tonight.

Any specific objections (other than, "It's already been done, and probably won't be as fun following after someone else already bashed through whatever drifts may have been there)"?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm still debating. Just talked to Mark (FJ Boulder), and if I end up deciding to go, I'll give him a ring by 5:00.

BTW....THANK YOU very much ocr14a and FJinCO for offering up your LCA's to replace my bent one!! I think I PM'd you both back, but wanted to make sure I thanked you if I hadn't. I have one coming from another forum member tommorrow, and will hopefully get a chance to swap it out over the next few days. I've never been on a forum with such helpful members. Thanks guys! :bigthumb:

-Nick

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Madman, How bout meet up at 515 in the home depot parking lot to swap that bent LCA.
shouldn't take more than 10 min
I'm just about out the door.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm still debating. Just talked to Mark (FJ Boulder), and if I end up deciding to go, I'll give him a ring by 5:00.

BTW....THANK YOU very much ocr14a and FJinCO for offering up your LCA's to replace my bent one!! I think I PM'd you both back, but wanted to make sure I thanked you if I hadn't. I have one coming from another forum member tommorrow, and will hopefully get a chance to swap it out over the next few days. I've never been on a forum with such helpful members. Thanks guys! :bigthumb:

-Nick
Hope you can make it out with us tonight. It will be cool meeting all kinds of new folks (well, new to me anyway :lol: )

Madman, How bout meet up at 515 in the home depot parking lot to swap that bent LCA.
shouldn't take more than 10 min
I'm just about out the door.
Do you have a ratchet strap?
After seeing how Digger did it when we were down in TX last week, I will be getting one soon.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
p.s. heading to CA Pizza Kitchen for dinner with JammerGirl now.
See you in Home Depot parking lot 5:30-5:45.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts