Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to get some of these tires. In all me research I am finding some people say they SUCK in snow and rain... but then I find just as many positive writing about them in snow and rain. I know they are meant for use in sand and dry conditions, which makes sense due to no sipes and the treads.

Anyone ever have these out in snow and slush? What did you think? The FJs seem pretty unstoppable due to the skid controls and things of this nature.

Just making sure they are not a good option for Canadian winters... I am thinking no of course, but I have seen a few really good reviews for these conditions. I just don't want to be in a bad situation if I can avoid it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
The Dune Grappler was designed for dry pavement and desert-like terrain. Your handling and ability to handle the harsh Canadian elements will only suffer by choosing these tires. I can only assume you think they look really cool and that isn't a good reason to pick a tire. Any other Nitto tire would be a better pick. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Dune Grappler was designed for dry pavement and desert-like terrain. Your handling and ability to handle the harsh Canadian elements will only suffer by choosing these tires. I can only assume you think they look really cool and that isn't a good reason to pick a tire. Any other Nitto tire would be a better pick. :)
They are actually a SMOKING price and money is short at this time. I am running less then 20% tread on my BFG ATs right now. They look cool, I admit, but I just want an aggressive looking tire. The seller said she had no issue with them at all, but sold the truck and kept the rubber... don't know if it is truthful of course.

I figured I would ask... rather then take the chance and suffer due to an exceptional deal. Seller needs money... too bad they were not the Terras.

Thanks for reaffirming what I already thought.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Guys are running them up here in central bc, the shop is siping the snot out of them to get traction in the winter. No one in the ditch yet:)

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
They are actually a M&S rated tire but I've found that those ratings are meaningless. Even Nitto will tell you they are for dry and desert terrain.

I'm way south of Canada but at these prices I am tempted to buy a set of winter-only tires in the FJ's stock size. My brother actually runs them year around and gets 60K out of them. They must be trying to clear them out for the season.
tirerack.com has the Firestone Winterforce studdable SUV tires in 265/70/17 size for $85 each or $304 for a set of 4.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
DO NOT! A buddy of mine constantly gets stuck with those bad boys...

·
Premium Member
12,906 Posts
A guy in our shop has them on his Jeep - he absolutly hates them right now, we have been having silimar weather as you down south. He hates them so much he going to go and try and buy new tires today.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advise everyone... I would have been buying them used. I went to take a look at them, and don't know. They are mint shape, but I have my reservations. The lady selling them had them on her last Toyota and removed them when she sold it. She has a new Tundra and purchased the Nitto Mud tires and said they horrible in the snow, believe it or not. She said the Dunes were awesome in all conditions. I said I would think about it. My BFG ATs have 20% tread on them and I do fine as long as I am in 4wd...

So... I have not dine anything yet. I went to three tire shops today and they would not really help me. I could not even get help for a price quote for crying out loud. At the rate I am going, I will have new rubber in the spring time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys are running them up here in central bc, the shop is siping the snot out of them to get traction in the winter. No one in the ditch yet:)
What do they do to sipe them? I am not interested in getting tires to do that, but how much does that cost and what does that involve?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for an interesting read...

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Thanks for the advise everyone... I would have been buying them used. I went to take a look at them, and don't know. They are mint shape, but I have my reservations. The lady selling them had them on her last Toyota and removed them when she sold it. She has a new Tundra and purchased the Nitto Mud tires and said they horrible in the snow, believe it or not. She said the Dunes were awesome in all conditions. I said I would think about it. My BFG ATs have 20% tread on them and I do fine as long as I am in 4wd...

So... I have not dine anything yet. I went to three tire shops today and they would not really help me. I could not even get help for a price quote for crying out loud. At the rate I am going, I will have new rubber in the spring time.
So my question to her would be. Why not install the Dunes on the new Tundra in place of the Nitto Muds if they are so bad in the snow and the Dunes are awesome in all conditions. Unless of course they are a different size.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So my question to her would be. Why not install the Dunes on the new Tundra in place of the Nitto Muds if they are so bad in the snow and the Dunes are awesome in all conditions. Unless of course they are a different size.
Very good question that I had thought of. She now has a 2011 Tacoma TRD and I am not sure what the rim size in it. I am going to get the Goodyear Wrangler Territory tires... I think they are my best bet for all I do living in Canada and going off road.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very good question that I had thought of. She now has a 2011 Tacoma TRD and I am not sure what the rim size in it. I am going to get the Goodyear Wrangler Territory tires... I think they are my best bet for all I do living in Canada and going off road. They are on for buy three get one free right now.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I say forgo the good price. Personally I wouldn't buy them. Take a look at the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs. I've read some good reviews on them. They are being described as being between an AT and a MT tire.
Here's some info.
Goodyear Tires | SUV and Truck Tires | Wrangler DuraTrac

Here's another
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...isons/40853-tires-different-types-brands.html
I'm running the DuraTracs and i got to test them out a couple weeks ago during a blizzard we had and they were great. We're going to get hit with a Nor'easter early morning tomorrow :rocker:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I'm running the DuraTracs and i got to test them out a couple weeks ago during a blizzard we had and they were great. We're going to get hit with a Nor'easter early morning tomorrow :rocker:
Yippy !! Good to know they do pretty good. They will be my next set of rubber. With the 285 mm did you have to do the mount chop ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
What do they do to sipe them? I am not interested in getting tires to do that, but how much does that cost and what does that involve?

Depending on the shop and if the machine has paid for itself yet, it would probly cost $80-100cdn to get a set done, if you do it make sure they sipe the whole face width, and have some descent depth to them. ive done a freakload of tires over the last 6-7 years, every time netted better traction, compared to 20% bfg at's you'll feel glued to the road:) they take a half worn tire and give it traction again for the winter season, i would give it a shot if the price is right, you can always sell them to someone else if theyre not any good.

ive ran bfg at's in winter months, full fresh tread is fine, i cant stand them once theyre worn a bit, i dont care if they have the snowflake on it. if theyve been fine for you up to now, dune grapplers siped would easily be on par with them if not better.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Depending on the shop and if the machine has paid for itself yet, it would probly cost $80-100cdn to get a set done, if you do it make sure they sipe the whole face width, and have some descent depth to them. ive done a freakload of tires over the last 6-7 years, every time netted better traction, compared to 20% bfg at's you'll feel glued to the road:) they take a half worn tire and give it traction again for the winter season, i would give it a shot if the price is right, you can always sell them to someone else if theyre not any good.

ive ran bfg at's in winter months, full fresh tread is fine, i cant stand them once theyre worn a bit, i dont care if they have the snowflake on it. if theyve been fine for you up to now, dune grapplers siped would easily be on par with them if not better.
Thanks for the info... I am picking the Dunes up tomorrow afternoon. I went almost the entire winter with the bald BFGs, and will get the dunes for the rest of this year. The price is down even lower now and I can't resist. If I made it through th4e winter with bald BFGs, I can do almost anything else. I always go into 4wd when stuff is questionable anyways...

FJs have to be the best vehicle for rotten roads, no matter what kind of rubber you are running... if they are in 4wd. If you drive for the road conditions and play smart, you should be fine. Most trucks I see in the ditches are the big lift trucks with the super aggressive rubber...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had the Dunes installed on Tuesday and have driven about 500km on them already in the snow, sleet, packed snow and whatever else, aside of deep snow. I love these tires!!! I do a lot of highway driving, and these tires are very quiet and smooth. They make my FJ feel firmly planted to the ground.

I have been getting in and out of my driveway of no return and up the road to get out of where I live. In deeper snow they dig themselves down and grip. I would not be doing any ditch diving or driving into snow banks with them, but feel safe and solid on the roads in all conditions so far.

I have had the factory Dunlops, the BFG ATs and now these on my FJ... the Dunes are by far, the best tire I have run on it. Because my truck is not lifted and the tires are 285/70/17s, they do not look like over kill poser tires at all.

They do very well on cold pavement and icy road conditions... I don't drive like an ass to begin with and drive for the road conditions. All the vehicles I see in the ditches are cars with snow tires or big aggressive tires, since these people seem to think driving with a brain applies.

I don't need to go into 4wd nearly as much as I used with the old BFGs. I know they will get stuck if I end up getting in deep snow, but for my highway and city driving, I do feel they are perfect. I will update this post as time goes by, but so far, I am in love with these Dunes... even in a cold rotten Canadian winter.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts