Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased FJ with Toyo open country MT 33x1250x18 tires they are like new and want a less agressive tire. the FJ has a 3" level kit on it so I am trying decide between these 2 tires, because there is not a lot out there thats close in size (285x65x18)
I want a smoother and quiter ride I live in Oregon where it rains 8 months out of the year little snow some ice and a little off roading,
please let me know what you think, and if there is a better option also.
thanks

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
I'll throw a vote in for the Terra Grapplers.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
x2 on the Terra Grapplers. They are a proven tire and high on my list when I burn through the OEMs. A good value from everything I've read or heard.

I'm also interested in the Falken WildPeak A/T. I've read they are a good A/T Tire for those who see a lot of highway miles like myself, but I think they're considerably more $$ than the Nitto's.

More and more I'm hearing that the BFG's are still a good tire, but everyone else has started catching up to that old standby.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im liking the price of the Grapplers but have had good luck with BFG ATs also.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Just had set of Grapplers mounted on my FJ. Ride is great seems smoother.

These were put on a set of 16" TRD six spoke wheels.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
I have the nittos in the size that you are wanting. Great tire. Have two sets of them. Used to be a die hard bf guy when it comes to an all terrain. The nitto is the at of the 21st century.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the nittos in the size that you are wanting. Great tire. Have two sets of them. Used to be a die hard bf guy when it comes to an all terrain. The nitto is the at of the 21st century.
Thanks for the replies I am went to Discount Tire this morning and they didnt have any Grappler at's in stock to show me but the salesman keeps pushing me towards the falken rocky mountain ats. :thinkerg:
Now I am confused.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Thanks for the replies I am went to Discount Tire this morning and they didnt have any Grappler at's in stock to show me but the salesman keeps pushing me towards the falken rocky mountain ats. :thinkerg:
Now I am confused.
NEVERMIND!!! IGNORE. They don't carry Nittos.

Did you try Tirerack.com?

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I run the Nitto Terra Grappler A/T I don't know if they will ever wear down...well over
70K on them and I want the New Trail Grapplers! Excellent value.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discount Tire Direct is a vendor here, contact them and you will have your Nitto`s shipped free to your door step. You will also get 50 dollars off at check out :) Mention the forum.

Oh yeah, i vote Nitto TG`s as well.
Thanks for letting me know this, since it helped me make the final decision on what to get and where to get them.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I just got my terra grapplers from Discount Tire yesterday. Just let me say, they are SOOO sick. Here's a couple pics for you.

The tread looks so much more aggressive in person than the pictures. I didn't think they were going to be that aggressive until I had them in my driveway haha.

Mine are the 295/70/17's ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just got my terra grapplers from Discount Tire yesterday. Just let me say, they are SOOO sick. Here's a couple pics for you.

The tread looks so much more aggressive in person than the pictures. I didn't think they were going to be that aggressive until I had them in my driveway haha.

Mine are the 295/70/17's ;)
those do look sick are they quiet on the freeway?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just purchased FJ with Toyo open country MT 33x1250x18 tires they are like new and want a less agressive tire. the FJ has a 3" level kit on it so I am trying decide between these 2 tires, because there is not a lot out there thats close in size (285x65x18)
I want a smoother and quiter ride I live in Oregon where it rains 8 months out of the year little snow some ice and a little off roading,
please let me know what you think, and if there is a better option also.
thanks
Nitto all the way!
Bf's are over priced

·
Registered
636 Posts
I disagree on the noise. I picked up an FJ with 30k miles on the original Dunlops (they were worn out). I replaced with 265/70/17 Terra Grapplers a few weeks ago and it was immediately louder. I immediately regretted my decision, worrying what the wife would say. HOWEVER, I had to have a real AT tire so that's the tradeoff.

I mean, if you're coming from an MT, I'm sure it would be quieter...but it is a bit louder than stock. Not roaring, not absolutely terrible, but I have to keep the radio on and we have to speak up a bit more. I should have expected that with the aggressive AT tread. The wife commented but hasn't complained. I'm considering dynamating / sound deadening the rear.

I will also say they are AWESOME in the snow/ice! And good in the little off-road I've done so far.

They are lighter than the BFG which means better gas mileage. But I would think the BFG would be tougher for the trail. The main factor for me though was PRICE! haha

EDIT: I'm not entirely sure there's not a defect in one of the tires. There's a varying howling sound between 35-40mph that I need to get the shop to check out.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts