Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some Nitto Terra Grapplers in October. I have been doing a lot of mountain driving and have noticed that even in non icy/non snowing conditions I feel like I don't have a lot of traction. I had the stock tires before and even with 40K miles on them I felt like I had more traction on curvey roads. Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
What size tire and what kind of pressure are you running? I run a set of 285/65/18s on mine at 45psi and I haven't ever come close to losing traction. I raced shifter karts on a national level for 13 years. The nitto is a great all around suv tire that shows it's wild side off road. On the Fj, the tire can outperform the vehicle. It's not that aggressive of a vehicle to overpower it's tires. If you are losing traction on dry pavement, It's most likely a speed issue. Tire pressure may be a bit high though. But I'd start with slowing down.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I have run the tires on my last FJC, Fantastic tires. The only reason that I would run out of grip was because I was driving the truck like a sports car. Other than that, never had that issues.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I ran the Nitto's bigger brother the Toyo Open Country AT for almost 60K miles and I have to say they were awesome in every condition I drove them in. I honestly have not heard any complaints about the Nitto....ever.

·
Registered
268 Posts
40+ psi is way too high guys...At that pressure the contact patch is too small. What's the point of buying a tire like that then running high pressures to make the contact patch as small as possible?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input. I'm definitely not a speeder. I'm the one who gets passed by everyone...including other FJs and similar vehicles. I've been at about 35psi. That seems to be the ideal pressure righT?

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
40+ psi is way too high guys...At that pressure the contact patch is too small. What's the point of buying a tire like that then running high pressures to make the contact patch as small as possible?
Not if you are running a heavy truck.

Also, running slightly higher pressure than normal usually equals better mileage at the sacrifice of ride comfort. I have ran my BFG ATs at 43 and 40PSI (front/rear) for a couple years on a heavily weighted FJ and have had not had any unusual tire wear or traction issues.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
I run Nitto TG's at about 35 psi around town for a tighter grab (at the possible expense of mileage and a bit of tire life). On trips, I bump it to 45 and drop it back down to about 30 for trail riding. With beadlocks I can drop it to 5 lbs if I need to crawl over something like a caterpillar, but usually don't need to move the needle lower than 30 psi.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have these tires in the 285/16 flavor as well.

These are great tires. I find myself doing exactly what Uphill said he does.

I have played around with the pressures with these on and off but after 65,000 miles of running this tire (I'm on second set) on the FJ Cruiser, here is what I have found to be the formula that works the best. I am also running a heavy truck.

32-35 Most of the time. Comfortable ride. Excellent traction on everything. Even treadwear.

42-45 On a trip. Better fuel economy. Ride suffers. Wheels act a bit bouncier especially on rough interstates and washboard.

25 to 30 offroad. Never lower than 20 without beadlocks and frankly the difference between 20 and 25 is minimal in actual use.

CaliCruizer I hope this is helpful to you. It sounds like you're running at a pretty high pressure.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I understand the need for higher pressures if the truck is running a lot of gear and metal bumpers and even understand the better MPG factor but just remember there is a point where too high will cause a problem. Too high of a pressure and you wear out the middle of the tread, cause overheating and worse case cause a blow out.

Personally my FJ is at 32 psi. I have almost 33K on it and it has the Bridgestone stockers on it still. Still have about 5/32-6/32 thread wear on them and no problems with traction or handling.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
I run my 285/70R17E Terra Grapplers around 38 psi. They're wearing perfectly while providing reasonable mileage and a great ride quality. They make the FJ handle like a sports car on-road and have yet to fail me off-road. :)

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
I understand the need for higher pressures if the truck is running a lot of gear and metal bumpers and even understand the better MPG factor but just remember there is a point where too high will cause a problem. Too high of a pressure and you wear out the middle of the tread, cause overheating and worse case cause a blow out.

Personally my FJ is at 32 psi. I have almost 33K on it and it has the Bridgestone stockers on it still. Still have about 5/32-6/32 thread wear on them and no problems with traction or handling.
The 285/70/17 are an e rated tire and they have an operating air pressure range on the tire. I think max is 65psi not sure about min (for onroad use) so 45-50 should not give you uneven wear. The fj curb weight is about 4500lbs

·
Registered
62 Posts
had them on a shortbed z71 chevy ,hated them, side walls too soft could feel it in a curve and also tread wear wasnt great due to soft compound

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
Unless the weight of the vehicle is very high, running a high pressure will adversely affect handling and ride comfort. Not sure at what exact point this may change the most but guessing it is in the 40s. The best way I can describe it is that it makes the handling more like the old 64 Falcon I had which was running skinny bias ply tires. It wanted to pull you with the crown of the road and fall into the grooves in the highway. I didn't see any mileage increase at 50 so I came all the way back to 38 for a comfortable ride.

I also have P265/70R17 on my 04 Silverado Z71 and they have been great. I sometimes haul as much as 4,000lbs (80-50 lb bags of fertilizer) in the bed and tow 10,000 lbs and more on a flatbed. This is heavy duty pickup territory but I handle it as usual. I usually run them at 38 on the truck too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts