Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those running theses tires I'm trying to find out average mileage you're getting out of them? I can't find the information anywhere and not sure if its published. I would guess around 30-40K? I may be off.

Are Trail Trapped good on highway? I will be doing 85% highway but leaning towards the Grasp because I leave in AZ and there are a lot of rocks on the trails I travel on.

However the Terra is a good all around tire and I have access to them a great price.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
I have LT285/70/17E Terra Grapplers. They have almost 30K on them and should have another 30K the way it's going. They are still running smooth and wearing even.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Woodsman. Not sure if you do any rocky type trials, if so do they handle good with grip?

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
I have the E rated TGs in 305/70-16 and keep them well balanced, rotate all 5 every 5,000 miles, and pressurized to 40 psi for street use, 17 psi offroad. They have a little over 50,000 miles so far and I expect to get at least another 20,000. The FJ is my primary transpertation for work and has spent a fair amoutnt of time offroad, in sand, dirt, gravel, dry and wet rock. The only condition they don't do well in is thick mud/clay. I love these tires especially since I got them for $62.50 a piece with free shipping!

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the E rated TGs in 305/70-16 and keep them well balanced, rotate all 5 every 5,000 miles, and pressurized to 40 psi for street use, 17 psi offroad. They have a little over 50,000 miles so far and I expect to get at least another 20,000. The FJ is my primary transpertation for work and has spent a fair amoutnt of time offroad, in sand, dirt, gravel, dry and wet rock. The only condition they don't do well in is thick mud/clay. I love these tires especially since I got them for $62.50 a piece with free shipping!
What are the different rating for them? E, D- LT etc.... Which ones are best for the FJ's?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
What are the different rating for them? E, D- LT etc.... Which ones are best for the FJ's?

Thanks
I would say any load rating you get for the TG will fuction well with the FJ. I have only seen two load ratings (or 'range') on TGs, D and E.

D---> Ply Rating-8, Max Load Pressure-65psi
E---> Ply Rating-11, Max Load Pressure-80PSI

Note that 'Ply Rating' is not an indicator of the number of sidwall plys were used in the construction of the tire, but rather the equivelant strength based on a standardized bias ply construction. Typical light truck tires have 2 to 3 plys in their construction.

There are a few differences between the two load ratings in relationship to our beloved FJs. You will have to air down to a lower psi to get an E rated tire sidewall to deflect and spread out for increased footprint, and therefore traction, offroad. This can be important because the lower the pressure in your tire the more you risk unseating the bead and having a tire failure on the trail. However, the higher ply rating also indicates a tougher sidewall. This can afford you more protection from slicing a tire's sidewall on the trail. Some say the stiffer sidewall makes the ride a little harsher as well, but I cannot speak to that.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Well why the heck am I getting such crap tread life on these?!?!
Sitting in my living room, so I cannot give hard numbers, but I have had the Tera Grapplers for 2 1/2 seasons now (less than 30K on them, I would guess) and they have too little tread on them for a Colorado Winter (in my opinion). My plan was to limp through the summer with them and get new tires in the fall. So they will not last me 40K. I run them at about 36 PSI, and rotate every 4K.
If I get them again, it will only be because they are the only reasonably priced tire that I can find in my 285/75 17 size.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
That's a good question Lenny. Are they wearing smooth and even ?

I also have wimpy P265/70/17 TGs on my Silverado pickup and they have over 40K on them and look like they'll go another 20K.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
They are wearing smooth and even. Maybe I should verify my numbers before I spout off anymore.

·
Registered
440 Posts
OK, just shy of 24K miles on the tires and they average out to between 3/16" and 1/4" of tread left. Now that I am putting numbers to what I was already thinking, these tires have really sucked for me. I wonder why the discrepancies? I commute on a windy mountain road - that might be killing them. But, I am not really a race car driver on these roads, either.
????

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
I'm sorry to hear you're having problems, Lenny. Honestly, you are the first person I've heard complain about tread life on the TGs.

One of the best selling points I had for the TGs when I was shopping around back when I got my first FJ was that Kreg Donahoe raced a complete season of Baja on the same four tires. Thats the Baja 250, Baja 500, and Baja 1000, and all the related practice sessions. If Nitto Terra Grapplers can do that, they can do anything I'll ask of them.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I am perplexed as to why my experience would be so much different than everybody else's??
Makes me think that I should call Nitto and see if they can cut me a break on a replacement set. :thinkerg:

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
I am perplexed as to why my experience would be so much different than everybody else's??
Makes me think that I should call Nitto and see if they can cut me a break on a replacement set. :thinkerg:
Please let us know. I'm planning on getting the TG myself.
What is the manufactured date on the tire?
Contacting the dealer with your info could very well be worth it.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Please let us know. I'm planning on getting the TG myself.
What is the manufactured date on the tire?
Contacting the dealer with your info could very well be worth it.
Good point! What IS the manufacture date on the sidewall? I wonder if they are overage and dried out causing premature wear. If they're older then 5 years that could be a contributing factor.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Good point! What IS the manufacture date on the sidewall? I wonder if they are overage and dried out causing premature wear. If they're older then 5 years that could be a contributing factor.
Check the date.
inside of tire. A 4 digit number, first two the number of weeks into the year, second two are the year.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Check the date.
inside of tire. A 4 digit number, first two the number of weeks into the year, second two are the year.
Looks like this:

·
Registered
440 Posts
FE62408
So, 24th week of 2008, correct? However, besides a manufacture date, this does not tell me much since I seem to be the only one that is showing this sort of premature wear.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
correct. Coming up on 3 years old and no that should not wear that fast. Check the warranty.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts