Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read around this site, but don't see the Nitto Trail Grappler addressed.

I have a 2014 FJ stock alloy wheels.
No Lift - Stock FJ

I want to put on Nitto Trail Grappler 285/70/17
1) Will they rub?
2) Do I need to put a leveler on? and if so will it rub?
3) I don't want to lift the FJ

Thank you!!

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have them in a 295 with a leveling kit and bmc. You could probably get away without either in a 285. Maybe a mild bmc

·
Registered
308 Posts
thanks - what is bmc?
Body Mount Chop, it's to prevent rubbing the wheel on the frame

I used to think everyone just wanted the same bike that I have...

I'm not sure about Nitto's, but I've read most 285/70R17 will fit with stock lift and no BMC (unless you're offroading and go full tilt, then you might get some rub.)

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
I am running 285/70/17 Toyo Open Country M/T ## Toyo and Nitto tires are made by the Toyo tire company## . Until I installed the lift they rubbed on the UCA and the Body Mount. After the lift no rub and no need for the BMC. However, I am still going to do the BMC just haven't gotten around to it yet.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just had 285/70r17 nitto terra grapplers mounted on my stock rims with no lift. No rubbing at all. Just get an alignment done at the same time because you might need to adjust the caster to clear the body mount while your at full lock

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just had 285/70r17 nitto terra grapplers mounted on my stock rims with no lift. No rubbing at all. Just get an alignment done at the same time because you might need to adjust the caster to clear the body mount while your at full lock
Second this. I eventually went to a daystar lift/level with 285/70 Nittos and never had rub but they did have to align it and move camber/caster. NO BMC with the 2014 aluminum wheels (trail wheels)

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I've read around this site, but don't see the Nitto Trail Grappler addressed.

I have a 2014 FJ stock alloy wheels.
No Lift - Stock FJ

I want to put on Nitto Trail Grappler 285/70/17
1) Will they rub?
2) Do I need to put a leveler on? and if so will it rub?
3) I don't want to lift the FJ

Thank you!!
1) Mine only did on a HARD turn or going backwards and turning, otherwise no.
2) See #1
3) Then don't.
4) I love my Nitto Trail Grapplers. Instead of a leveler get a BMC (Body Mount Chop) and that will fix your problems.
5) Dave at Trailworx did my BMC and I'm not lifted.
6)I'm real happy with my rig the way it is.
7) Doesn't mean I'm opposed to a lift >:D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
I have a 3" lift with that size of those tires. I have no BMC and I "do" get some rubbing but I "Don't" care : )

·
Registered
114 Posts
thank you so much!
what does that mean adjust the castor?
The caster is the adjustment that moves the tires forward and backward. You will probably need them to adjust the tires slightly forward to clear the body mount. Most people who put 285's on and say they had to do a BMC probably didn't realize they could even do this. Don't hack into your truck unless you absolutely have to

·
Registered
47 Posts
The caster is the adjustment that moves the tires forward and backward. You will probably need them to adjust the tires slightly forward to clear the body mount. Most people who put 285's on and say they had to do a BMC probably didn't realize they could even do this. Don't hack into your truck unless you absolutely have to
Agreed. Absolutely no rub here after my alignment. I was able to move the Caster out enough, even with the leveling kit. It's pretty much maxed out and almost within factory spec.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts