Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am purchasing new tires within the next week or 2 and can't decide, Please Help. I have a 3" pro comp lift and will be upgrading my 265 Terra Grapplers with 295 Nitto Trail Grapplers or Cooper STT's. I have been debating for over a month and have read only great reviews about both. I will be using as a daily driver and when off road I'm usually in the mud. They seem to have a similar tread design and there is no cost difference. I would appreciate any feedback and or pics. Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have the Nitto's with about 1400 miles on them , I gotta say that they are a great tire for DD with a pretty stiff sidewall and the hum has settled down quite a bit since they were new .
Will buy another set when these wear out .

I have no experience with Coopers .

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I just read a thread that had me pretty sold on the Cooper STT. After reading reviews on Discount Tire it looks like the Nittos have better reviews. Several people mentioned balancing problems and tread chunking in STT reviews.

·
Registered
113 Posts
how long do the nittos last compare to the coopers would be a deciding factor for me, im sure they will both do great in the mud

·
Registered
153 Posts
I just ordered a set of Coopers (285/70/17) to install on my steelies. I'll post a pic when they get mounted.
Bonehead

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I have both the Nitto Trail and the Terras...go with the Terras unless your rig is dedicated to the off-road.

I hardly have used my Nitto Trails...they are pretty rough on the road, loud and lots of wander.

Doc

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just got the Nittos a couple weeks ago. 295 70r 17. I LOVE them! They track hella hard for the first couple hundred miles but after that the ride is great, can barley notice they r MT's. The road noise is a little bit more than stock but that allso is better after the first couple hundred miles. I have had my FJ almost 4 years and ran the stock tires till 70k. After the lift and tires I have fallen in love with the truck all over again!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the responses, I have decided to go with the Trail Grapplers! I just ordered the 295/70/17's and it will be 2-3 weeks before they come in. This wait is going to suck.... Has anyone used this size with spidertrax and without a body mount chop? Also, I ordered 5 so hopefully the spare fits with my stock bumper.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Has anyone used this size with spidertrax and without a body mount chop? Also, I ordered 5 so hopefully the spare fits with my stock bumper.
I would bet you will rub the mount with spacers. If I added spacers, I would rub for sure. The tires are great man, you will love them. Keep in mind they do wander/track the road pretty hard for the first few hundred miles, but then it all goes away.

-Jimmy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts