Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The day has finally come, after reading guide books,searching the internet & looking over maps its time for me to head out to Alaska.
Follow me on line as I head north, I will be posting pictures here New Mexico to Alaska 2011 Photo Gallery by kirk isaacson at pbase.com
Just follow this link to see my location updates:
SPOT Shared Page
If these links don’t work try copying & pasting into your browser’s address bar.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
sounds so fun! Good luck!

·
Premium Member
16,932 Posts
Good luck with your adventure. Look forward to seeing some pictures.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wife and I did south Portland Maine to juneau last summer, it was our second trip running the ALCAN and we loved each trip. Juneau is home now and it's a great place to live!! Enjoy your trip and watch out for the stone sheep and buffalo....don't pass a gas station either.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Kirk, Have a great trip Brother! As always be safe in your travels.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Hey Kirk,

Nice meeting you at the OvEx and good luck on this new adventure. Watch those skeeters!

Ace

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm in Eagle River AK 13 miles from Anchorage. Left home 5/13 got here yesterday.
11 nights of camping along the way since leaving Calgary, only paid to camp one night found plenty of places along the way for free.
A few days in a hotel sight seeing in Anchroage area then stock back up & head to the Denali Highway camping across Alaska then out to Canada & the long drive back home. So far 3472 miles, no problems with the FJ or the trailer.
Pictures in different files here New Mexico to Alaska 2011 Photo Gallery by kirk isaacson at pbase.com

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Did you use regular gas on your trip? If so, what was your mileage like? I did a similar trip to the Yukon last June and I used premium gas and averaged 23.5 mpg.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you use regular gas on your trip? If so, what was your mileage like? I did a similar trip to the Yukon last June and I used premium gas and averaged 23.5 mpg.
Putting my fuel cost, amount & miles into the Garmin its showing as low as 13.8 to the best only being 17.8 mpg using reg gas. I am towing a M416 with a RTT on it loaded with gear & another RTT on the roof of the FJ.
I might try a tank of premium and see if it helps. If the cost difference per gallon makes it worth the cost per mile.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alaska picture up dates alaska Photo Gallery by kirk isaacson at pbase.com
We went to Portage Glacier, Whittier Alaska, through a 2.5 mile tunnel ,& tram ride at Alyeska Resort
Off to Denali Highway after fast stop at the National Park to camp a few days before heading out towards Canada.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Putting my fuel cost, amount & miles into the Garmin its showing as low as 13.8 to the best only being 17.8 mpg using reg gas. I am towing a M416 with a RTT on it loaded with gear & another RTT on the roof of the FJ.
I might try a tank of premium and see if it helps. If the cost difference per gallon makes it worth the cost per mile.
Thanks for the information Kirk.

You were certainly more loaded down than I was. I am using the Imperial gallon by the way as opposed to the U.S. gallon, so my mileage will be higher.

In the past I have found I do get better mileage with premium as opposed to regular and the increase in mileage warrants the price increase.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I wonder if Kirk got "et by a bar". No posts in quite a while.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Cant wait for our trip! thanks for the pics

1 - 18 of 18 Posts