Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never noticed this before, but there is no 16MM in the wrench set that I bought anyone know why.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it's a Stanley, the only reason I asked is I was thinking back to all the times I worked on my cars and helped friends and I don't ever remember using a 16MM wrench or socket.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1911, is there a reason they don't use any 16MM nuts or bolts?

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
Originally, it was so you only had to carry a smaller number of wrenches. You can almost completely tear down an FJ40 with only four wrench sizes - 10, 14, 17, and 19mm, and big phillips screwdriver. :) There are a very few odd sizes like 24mm for the diff, tranny, and transfer case plugs and 54mm for the wheel hub nuts, but you could do 99% of the truck with the four wrench sizes mentioned.

Over the years, those sizes just became pretty standard on all Toyotas. It also make assembly at the factory quicker to have less different fastener sizes.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Lot's of sets don't include 18mm, but I do remember pulling out my craftsman set to get the two 18mm in that set out to use not too long ago...

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts

16mm and 18mm nuts / bolts are most commonly found on American vehicles that converted to metric hardware, and not import vehicles designed with metric hardware. So, you don't find them in most basic wrench / socket sets. The 16mm and 18mm sizes are readily available on their own from Craftsman, Mac, Proto and Snap-On, or in larger tool sets...

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
16mm and 18mm nuts / bolts are most commonly found on American vehicles that converted to metric hardware, and not import vehicles designed with metric hardware. So, you don't find them in most basic wrench / socket sets. The 16mm and 18mm sizes are readily available on their own from Craftsman, Mac, Proto and Snap-On, or in larger tool sets...
Ahhhhh... that was it... I pulled and replaced the rack' on my daughter's 2000 ford taurus.... THANKS for the memory HINT !.... LoLoLoL...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info everyone. I keep forgetting about Harbor freight, people keep telling me you get good deals there.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
are they really that cheap, or does it depend on what you use it for? I was going to buy a circular saw to build a rear storage box for the FJ, i'm not a wood worker so it wouldn't be used much, I figure under those conditions it should last awhile.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NEVERMIND, I found some american made circular saws on amazon.com at various prices.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
You won't find a 16mm nut or bolt on your FJC, or much of anything else Toyota or made in Japan.
Well, you will once the bolt heads start rusting away.... ;)

:rofl:

The only time I have used a 16mm is on american cars.... :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
16mm and 18mm are included in lots of sets and left out of others, depending upon who made up the set. The reason is that neither 16 or 18 are used at all in anything metric that I have found. On Toyota a set NEEDS to include 10, 12, 14, 17, and 19 and if you have a later one an occasional 8. German vehicles use a lot of 11,13, and 15. If you ever find any of those three on a Toyota, I would be surprised, but it could happen. Toyota does use sizes larger than 19mm but whether you need those in your kit depends upon how much work you do and whether you have the knowledge and expertise to get into some of the things.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Originally, it was so you only had to carry a smaller number of wrenches. You can almost completely tear down an FJ40 with only four wrench sizes - 10, 14, 17, and 19mm, and big phillips screwdriver. :) There are a very few odd sizes like 24mm for the diff, tranny, and transfer case plugs and 54mm for the wheel hub nuts, but you could do 99% of the truck with the four wrench sizes mentioned.

Over the years, those sizes just became pretty standard on all Toyotas. It also make assembly at the factory quicker to have less different fastener sizes.
Never seen a 16mm in all my years. I do believe you'll find some 8mm's on the Toyotas...no?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts