Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone has thought about or tried doing it! I've searched hi and lo but no luck finding anything. Anyway, I think it would look pretty good as do the Jeeps w/ no doors. I've seen a four door Jeep with no doors and I assume it would look similar.

I think the only issue would be you would lose the rear view mirrors and your door speakers. What do you all think.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
yep it has been discussed. MUCH of the structural integrity of the vehicle lies within the doors being closed. Jeeps are not built this way. The doors are an after thought of the vehicles strength.
It has been discussed in other thread too.
Are you going to be coming out to Big Easley on sunday? Should be a fun event, lot of jeeps, and FJ'sFJ and myself will be going.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
In a crash, the doors are essential. While driving (including all wheeling), I don't believe they are any part of the structure whatsoever.

I want to do this very much, but there are many challenges that become more apparent when you really look at it. Wires, seatbelt, rear door or not, etc... also, considering the way my paint looks I don't think the seats would last a couple outings. :lol:

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
In a crash, the doors are essential. While driving (including all wheeling), I don't believe they are any part of the structure whatsoever.

I want to do this very much, but there are many challenges that become more apparent when you really look at it. Wires, seatbelt, rear door or not, etc... also, considering the way my paint looks I don't think the seats would last a couple outings. :lol:
If you were to TRY it, i would not remove the second door due to lack of having a seatbelt.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
If you were to TRY it, i would not remove the second door due to lack of having a seatbelt.
I agree. My vision is having a bar come off the front door hinge, span that space, and pick up the latch on the second door. No need to worry about the seatbelt, less doors to remove, and then you'd have at least SOMETHING there... having a left armrest while driving it also of critical importance. ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, obviously you wouldn't have the protection doors provide and neither do jeeps with the doors off but structurely the FJ would be just fine riding around without doors.

The most urgent of issue is the lack of a seatbelt because I would want to have both doors off. I guess that could be solved pretty easily by bying a seatbelt kit from somewhere and attaching elsewhere. I think it's totally feasible, I just wondered if anyone had done it yet as to take out some of the leg work. As for the wiring I"m sure there is probably a quick disconnect behind the door panel.

I'm curious though, where is the thread to this discussion? I've searched high and low, google included!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Take a look here... http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/4x4-off-road-tech/60810-tube-doors-finished.html#post974670

As for a seatbelt, if you were crusin' around without doors, you'd want a full seat harness. :)

Yeah, obviously you wouldn't have the protection doors provide and neither do jeeps with the doors off but structurely the FJ would be just fine riding around without doors.

The most urgent of issue is the lack of a seatbelt because I would want to have both doors off. I guess that could be solved pretty easily by bying a seatbelt kit from somewhere and attaching elsewhere. I think it's totally feasible, I just wondered if anyone had done it yet as to take out some of the leg work. As for the wiring I"m sure there is probably a quick disconnect behind the door panel.

I'm curious though, where is the thread to this discussion? I've searched high and low, google included!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts