Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have the 08 TT FJ

I have spent the last couple of days reading tons of threads in this section and the lift section. I could never find and answer to my particular question. For those like myself at the moment with no lift or leveling kit what is the widest 16" wheel and tire I can get on my rig with zero issues(rubbing)?

Everyone in the threads I read had some kind of leveling kit or lift, no specifics on the "Zero Lift" people. I am considering a 3" lift or Toytec 3" leveling kit but still debating that, so.... and I am considering selling my black 08 TT wheels and getting a wider set to get a better looking stance, I like wider tires.

After so much reading you get lost in offsets, sizes, combos, so didnt know if there are any definitive answers on what is possible without losing any height. I want to go as wide as I can on the wheel and as wide and tall of a tire I can couple it with on an unmodified suspension FJ. Id like to maintain a 16" wheel but would consider a 17" I guess if anyone knows I would need the whole break down, offset, backspacing, size, the whole enchilada:lol:

I do not want the wheels and tires to stick out real far but if the tire is an inch or so past the plane of the fender thats ok.

Whats the widest tire I can put on my OEM TT wheels?

P.S. I was also told wheel spacers are ILLEGAL in Virgina:mecry:

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
What type of tire are you wanting? (highway, AT, MT) Also, are you doing the body mount chop or not? I assume not since you specified unmodified.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What type of tire are you wanting? (highway, AT, MT) Also, are you doing the body mount chop or not? I assume not since you specified unmodified.
An ALL-TERRAIN Tire, either BFG or NITTO...no body chop...I am most likely going to put on a toytec leveling kit too.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Discount Tire Direct is your friend......I'd check out other AT's besides BFG and Nitto too, there are bunch to choose from.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Discount Tire Direct is your friend......I'd check out other AT's besides BFG and Nitto too, there are bunch to choose from.
Thanks for the response...I have been there and still need a little more plug-in info so I can get correct wheel and tires sizes.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have the 08 TT FJ

I have spent the last couple of days reading tons of threads in this section and the lift section. I could never find and answer to my particular question. For those like myself at the moment with no lift or leveling kit what is the widest 16" wheel and tire I can get on my rig with zero issues(rubbing)?

Everyone in the threads I read had some kind of leveling kit or lift, no specifics on the "Zero Lift" people. I am considering a 3" lift or Toytec 3" leveling kit but still debating that, so.... and I am considering selling my black 08 TT wheels and getting a wider set to get a better looking stance, I like wider tires.

After so much reading you get lost in offsets, sizes, combos, so didnt know if there are any definitive answers on what is possible without losing any height. I want to go as wide as I can on the wheel and as wide and tall of a tire I can couple it with on an unmodified suspension FJ. Id like to maintain a 16" wheel but would consider a 17" I guess if anyone knows I would need the whole break down, offset, backspacing, size, the whole enchilada:lol:

I do not want the wheels and tires to stick out real far but if the tire is an inch or so past the plane of the fender thats ok.

Whats the widest tire I can put on my OEM TT wheels?

P.S. I was also told wheel spacers are ILLEGAL in Virgina:mecry:
I ran spacers on my VW on two different sets of wheels. Theyll never know and most likely never car about it. Technically any aftermarket modification is illegal in VA but I got away with a lot of stuff in two of the worst counties in the state for dick cops. (Fairfax and Loudoun)

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Curious, does anyone know how wide I can go? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The widest i have heard of on a unmoded fj is a 285/70/17 BFG AT. I hope that helps.:wave:

Thanks buddy...I am trying to find some cool matte black wheels....Trying to decide if I should keep my Black TT wheels.....

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Steve... I am running 1.25" spidertraxx and have passed inspection... even with my 33x12.5x17s. Had my inspection done by Priority Toyota off Greenbrier and Military.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I'm running 17x9's with 4.5" of backspacing and at stock height, I couldn't fit my finger between my tire and the body mount so I know 285's would've rubbed. This is with a stock size mud terrain (that I'm still running).

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Steve... I am running 1.25" spidertraxx and have passed inspection... even with my 33x12.5x17s. Had my inspection done by Priority Toyota off Greenbrier and Military.
I need to see your rig, prob have some questions, Im moving onto some new mods, done with the cosmetic and electrical stuff:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Agreed... we will get together. You know I want to see your lights... My light bar still hasn't arrived I have been bugging Jason every day. :jester:

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm running 17x9's with 4.5" of backspacing and at stock height, I couldn't fit my finger between my tire and the body mount so I know 285's would've rubbed. This is with a stock size mud terrain (that I'm still running).
Can you send me a few pics of your set up(rig)? I PM'd you my email addy.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Agreed... we will get together. You know I want to see your lights... My light bar still hasn't arrived I have been bugging Jason every day. :jester:
Lol..I did the same thing

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm in a similar boat. I see a few answers that directly addressed the problem, but most off-subject. I have 265/70R17's and can't do a lift...my car will not fit in the garage if I do that! But I want a bigger tire. I saw a response that said a 285/70/17 BFG AT will fit.....but will it rub against the wheel well in moderate driving conditions? I am not a hardcore 4x4 guy. I go on fire roads and unimproved forest roads to go fly fishing. I'm doing this mostly to make there FJ look better. Thanks!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Your replying to a thread from 2011, but almost 10 years later you'll get the same answers, they might fit they might not. Some folks have no problems, some do. Mine rubbed with a lift, but going to 285s will make you taller by .5"-.75" if your garage clearance is that tight.

Reactions: AJ FJCruiser
1 - 19 of 19 Posts