Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '07 that I bought used a few years ago & it is still cranking fine on the factory Toyota battery.
Getting the FJ ready for a big trip I checked the water level in the maintenance free battery.
I removed the warning stickers on the two battery banks with the three phillip screws to be able to unscrew the plugs.
All six banks were very low on water. I refilled them with distilled water. I didn't measure but used a small dixie cup & poured two-three small cups into each tube. I'll drive it a while & check the battery with a hydrometer.
A little Maintenance on the battery should make it last longer.

·
Premium Member
6,520 Posts
I did this a few months ago on my '07 and probably added over a cup (total) of DI water to the 6 cells.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
525 Posts
Any thoughts out there to why I would want to switch my toyota panasonic battery over to a agm style (optima battery)?
Getting 5+ years from an oem battery is good. I can understand the deep cycle optima as a second battery.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I did this a few months ago on my '07 and probably added over a cup (total) of DI water to the 6 cells.

DEWFPO
The first time I opened the hood on my 2011 FJ, I said WTF? The battery clearly has upper and lower level marks for the acid. I will keep my eye on it. I hope it's a good quality battery (Panasonic).

-FJ Florida-

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
Any thoughts out there to why I would want to switch my toyota panasonic battery over to a agm style (optima battery)?
Getting 5+ years from an oem battery is good. I can understand the deep cycle optima as a second battery.
Because AGM batteries are truly no-maintenance and no corrosion, while the stock Panasonic battery is neither, as the original poster in this thread mentioned. They cost twice as much as a conventional battery but last 3-4 times as long, so they're more economical too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts