Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Resurrecting this one...I'm pondering AT vs MT at the moment. In 31 years of owning cars, I have owned exactly one AT car - a 2007 VW GTI w/DSG. I bought that after a motorcycle accident messed up my left knee. Thankfully I rehabbed and ended up selling the VW after less than a year. At the time I also had a '79 911 track car so my "excuse" was that I needed to keep my left leg in practice. But the reality is that my left leg gets very bored without a clutch pedal. And I live in LA and drive the 405/10 area regularly - so I know traffic. I just find that a MT gives me way more control. And I can slip a clutch to work the car as well.

That said, certainly easier to find an AT used car than MT, and sometimes I do long for being lazy...like when my lower back is acting up and it hurts to clutch. But I fear that I'd buy an AT and regret it...

Anyone made the MT to AT transition successfully?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I flew to Ohio from Colorado in Jan 09 to pick up my 6m brick. The break in was all highway! I think i felt it break in in kansas. It helped that i grew up in ohio. It was a great excuse to visit my parrents..At the time I looked there where only 6 brick 6m's with the options i wanted in the country.. so i was told. The dealer i worked with had one shipped form kentucky. They worked with me 100% I was Very happy with the sales there. I was fortunate.

·
Registered
145 Posts
This is so real.. Hell I had to got to Carmax just to drive a manual bc none of the dealers had them nor were they trying to help in the dc area so I found a TT in ohio in a six speed and I love it. Can I get a turbo for xmas. Anyone has a manul with the boost? That must be fun. I love to stick it to those escalades or tahoes

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
funny-
I had to drive down to dc to get my 6sp. no manual in the tri-state back in aug of 07.
the dealer down in dc had 30+ fjs on the lot. and 5 was 6sp.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm all about the MT, but would still buy AT, if it's the only one available. hell, if AT was all time 4awd, I might even prefer it. But there better be a 09 MT.. i think the dealer was talking shizzle.

I'm totally opposite if manual will be part time I will not hesitate to order it even from US and ship it to Dubai but it is full time :(

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
If they do stop making a MT, it will be a very sad day indeed for the off-road crowd.:mecry: IMHO, sales will take a hit, as well. Bad idea for Toyota is they have only a AT FJ available. :flame:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hmmm...I've had both manual (on old Toyota 4WD trucks) and automatic (on my FJ). I like my automatic so I can keep my right hand busy with the redhead copilot. (or at least be able to block any glancing blows coming my way...)

:jester:
Ha, ha!!!! I totally know what you mean about the redheads. Been married to one for ten years. It never changes, by the way. :rocker:

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
just tell them you'll wait for one from Japan. I bought mine in 07' and I had to wait a few months for the same reason. WELL worth the wait. If you get your hands on one, I suggest adding the URD short shifter and a weighted knob from TWM. Don't cave in! Get the six speed!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, I found a MT at a local dealership and drove it. Not impressed, but this FJ had obviously been ridden hard and put away wet. 45K miles and it felt like it. The clutch was pretty heavy, indicating that it was probably near the end of its life. Also, it feels like the flywheel is very heavy in these. Not at all what I'm used to in my other "performance" cars. I think I might end up just going AT and picking up a cheap Miata to turn into a track car. I can't afford another 911 track beast...

I did piss off the salesguy though. The first one was a newbie and after the test drive he asked me what I thought. I told him the above (politely) and that the vehicle was pretty thrashed (cigarette hole in the driver's seat, headliner worn/torn, etc). He walked me over to another used one that was in better shape (and $5K higher in price) and went off to get the second salesguy. He showed up and started in with the "so let's work some numbers..." and I said no, I didn't need to see the 4-up sheet, I know what my car is worth and what the FJ is worth. He asked me what I thought about the other one and I said, "I frankly can't believe you guys CPO'd that car - it is beat." He replied that many customers had driven it and complimented him on how nice it was. My reply, "it is still sitting on the lot apparently." At that point I knew there was no point in continuing the conversation.

I led my son towards my car to leave and I could hear salesguy #2 muttering f-bombs to salesguy #1, likely about me. I almost went and got in their face but figured my 12 year old son doesn't need to see me dress down the salesguy for being unprofessional. We did discuss it on the way home and I told him about typical sales tactics and how they try to force a deal on you. I also pointed out the fake compliments that were tossed about. I guess kids have to learn the truth at some point :p

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think that's 4-square worksheet :)

I know it's not rocket surgery, but your salesfolk seemed like idiots
Sorry, I slipped into post-production speak :D

The first guy was a newbie (2 months in car sales) and the second guy was a typical slime. Never ceases to amaze me how different various dealerships are. There are some that I will never set foot in again and others that I would gladly do business with again. This one (Manhattan Beach Toyota) falls in the first camp.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts