Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

No more from the Dealership

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  ddnj 
#1 ·
First of all i want to thank all of you for your help, this is such a great forum. I am taking the plunge and doing all maintenance my self, I just to annoyed by the dealer trying to rip me off. This weekend I am at 10000 miles and going to do the oil change and service my self. From my knowledge I am going full synthetic 5-30 mobile one, or the mobile 5000 clean. any thoughts on what oil to use, As well as mobile synthetic on the differential. just picked up 10 Toyota oil filters and oil pan gaskets, as well as the pan. still haven't decided on what oil to use. Dino or synthetic. taking pictures and documenting everything this sat. i just check with the pros. (fj cruiser forums) for any suggestions on the decisions i made. And as well At 15 miles right of the dealer lend the car to my buddy for a quick around the block and he gunned it all the way, (floored the throttled) can there be any damage?
Thanks guys!

#4 ·
I think you should hit him with a stick and tell him to pay for all your oil changes!:fight::armed::deal:

#5 ·
mkelias11, Mobil1 stuff is pretty good. 5-30W is fine. Get 6 quarts. For the diff, you will need 3 quarts of 75-90W. Both procedure are very simple and you can easily do it 1/2 hour.

As for your buddy throttling the FJ... Was it cold when he did that? It's not good to gun the car when the oil pressure is not up to temp. If it is, I wouldn't worry about it too much. At any rate, what can you do now? Don't worry about it. Just enjoy the FJ. ;)

#9 ·
#8 ·
I understand, Last week I took my FJ in for the 10K service, it hasn't ran right since. I'm meeting with the manager tomorrow at noon for sit down nice talk. He said we can work something out.

#11 ·
I am taking the plunge and doing all maintenance my self
Good for you! Few things more satisfying than doing your own work on your own truck IMO.

From my knowledge I am going full synthetic 5-30 mobile one, or the mobile 5000 clean. any thoughts on what oil to use, As well as mobile synthetic on the differential.
Full synthetic Mobil 1 would be much preferred over the Clean 5000. Any full-synthetic oil is going to be much better than anything the dealership or a quick lube place would put in. Synthetic is way worth it IMO for the better protection on cold starts and the far superior heat endurance. Same goes for synthetic gear lube in the diffs.

At 15 miles right of the dealer lend the car to my buddy for a quick around the block and he gunned it all the way, (floored the throttled) can there be any damage?
Your "buddy" is an asswipe; that would really piss me off on a brand new motor. Hard to say if there is any real damage but it didn't do it any good. If it was damaged, you won't know for another 200,000 miles or so - possible it might begin to burn oil or lose compression earlier than it would have otherwise, but I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it because it is a Toyota after all.

Take a look at this thread. The answer is on post #22.
Thanks Fjamming for saving me the trouble again.

#12 ·
There's not anything you can do about what your buddy did. I would look for a new buddy, he's an absolute moron.

DEWFPO

#13 ·
Our choice of friends is a reflection of our judgment/maturity. Such decisions and what we learn from these decisions over time help determine the direction and quality of our lives.

#14 ·
Update- Change my Rear differential oil, with synthetic mobil1, torque the bold to 36 and a nudge more to be on the safe side, Coated both bolts with some black dupli color heat paint. scratched the bolt a little. The oil was dark Grey you can almost say it was pitch black. Feel better now:clap:, Thanks guys. And comments or advise towards my procedures greatly appreciated.

#15 ·
I believe the torque specifies some where in the low 30 range (30? 32?). You didn't hurt it going a few pounds over, but thought you might want to know. :) I just did mine and I've already forgotten. Next time, I'm going to write the spec on the big 24mm bolt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.