Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am starting to feel like one of the "complainers", but I am experiencing a fairly loud noise from beneath the glovebox area. I took it to the dealer, but they couldn't source it, even after I made it happen with the tech in the passenger seat (although it was definitely intermittent - see following comments). The noise seems to occur mainly when the vehicle is cold (maybe because it vibrates more when cold?) with no one in the passenger seat. It will always occur in the morning when backing out of the garage and then last for sometime after that down the road. It sounds like a very small air pump (it could be from the fan that is under there as well, but it really sounds more like a small compressor). I swear it is coming from the silver control box and is somehow related to the airbag system. The reason I think it may be related to the airbag is that when I lean over on the passenger seat to reach under the dash when sitting in the driver's seat, it seems to go away or at least attenuate. Is there some sort of mechanical device related to either both airbags or the passenger "smart airbag" underneath the glovebox or contained within the silver control box? Anyone else have this noise? Thanks.

SOLUTION: It's the wire harness underneath the glove box where it goes through the firewall. Stick a piece of foam or cardboard between the harness and the fan and the noise will go away. (I added this becuase I noticed people are still posting to this and this way anyone coming to this thread new will see the solution without reading all the post, unless they want to!)

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have a rattle in the same area (glove box area) although mine seems to be more related to a driveline/throttle vibration. It’s driving me NUTS! When I step on the gas, while at speed, I get a high pitched vibration/rattle. If I let off the gas the vibration/rattle goes away. I have tested it while stopped and in neutral and when I rev it up…no vibration/rattle. It’s baffling? To me it sounds like a washer vibrating between a loose screw/bolt and sheet metal but only at certain frequencies (2nd-3rd gear and 1500-2200 rpm).

I have read that it may be caused by a roof rack vibration (w/TSB fix) and I guess I will need to check that out but it definatley sounds like its coming from the glove box area.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would be surprised if either of our rattles are the infamous roof rack (which seems to get blamed for just about everything). Yours sounds like it might be the transfer case - try putting a little pressure on the transfer case shift knob and see if it changes the rattle any or makes it go away.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have it too...definitely under the glove box area. Mine doesn't happen in Park or neutral but does so in gear, even if the brake is on. At lunch just now, I was cleaning the floor mats and noticed my passenger door creak a little bit...made me wonder what was up. Lets keep this post alive because I beleive if its a common problem someone will find a solution.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would say it is not just "wires vibrating" - seems more active than that.

KSKONDOT's observation about it occuring in gear is spot on - if I back out of my garage, the noise is very loud, but if I put the vehicle into "park", it goes away. I have even left it in "D", pulled the E-brake, gotten out and gone around to the passenger side to look under the dash. Always seem to vanish when I do something like this, but will last for quite a while if I just get in and drive - it seems to only do it during the first dirve of the day, then will come back the next day.

So, occurs when in gear and may be related to airbags? I still think it is coming from the big silver box, but am not 100% positive. Any Toyota techs out there who want to take a guess?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine does this too. The other morning it was vibrating in neutral in my drive way. I put my hand up under the glove box and touched something and it stopped. I was leaving my house to go to the hospital because my wife was having our baby, so I havn't had time to check it out, but I'll try to look at it Sat. and reply back. Don't think it is anything serious.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
When you open your glovebox does it open down slowly? There is a little plastic piston on the right side that works as a piston/damper. It may have come loose.

Dig in there a little - push the side tabs that let the glove box door drop down. Look to the right and take a good look at that piston and also make sure that the pivot points that attach the bottom of the glove box are set in all the way.

BTW the piston mounts up as low as possible on the arm mount - the closest hole to the glovebox if that makes sense.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have a rattle in the same area (glove box area) although mine seems to be more related to a driveline/throttle vibration. It’s driving me NUTS! When I step on the gas, while at speed, I get a high pitched vibration/rattle. If I let off the gas the vibration/rattle goes away. I have tested it while stopped and in neutral and when I rev it up…no vibration/rattle. It’s baffling? To me it sounds like a washer vibrating between a loose screw/bolt and sheet metal but only at certain frequencies (2nd-3rd gear and 1500-2200 rpm).

I have read that it may be caused by a roof rack vibration (w/TSB fix) and I guess I will need to check that out but it definatley sounds like its coming from the glove box area.
Ditto...verbatim....exact same noise in mine

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE: I got someone else to drive this morning and and stuck my head under the dash so I could see what I was doing. I was able to get the noise to abate by pressing on the silver box, but then I happened to grab the large bundle of wires passing next to the silver box and going out through the firewall, and that seemed to have a greater and more immediate effect on the rattling. So, I now think it may be that bundle of wires (my apologies to Achilles). As a temporary fix I stuck a rag between the wires and the silver box - went for a drive and the noise did not re-occur. Someone else may want to try wiggling the wire bundle and/or stuffing something in there to put a little pressure on the bundle and see if it works for you. I will let you know if it continues to work on mine. (As a point of clarification, the noise seemed to be coming from where the wires go through the firewall, not from any contact with the silver box - this was just a convenient place to stuff the rag to put a little pressure on the wires; another type of fix may be more appropriate if this is indeed the source of the rattle.)

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Got the same problem here... I'll have to try the rag trick. Not sure about the piston in the glove box as I think mine just drops instantly when opened... have to check that one out.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Should have mentioned that I tested out the glove box piston - mine is in place and is definitely not the source of the rattle. I believe the wire bundle where it goes through the wall is the source of my rattle. It could also be these same wires further up under the dash - the bundle keeps going, but I didn't follow it any further once I thought it had it resolved. It is easy to test it at the firewall, so try that first and if that doesn't work, maybe track it further up into the dash.

For those of you who think we are crazy - as some have mentioned, this noise is caused at certain rpm's - mine rattled/vibrated at around 800-900 rpm, but went away above and below that. In my FJ, it was very loud - seemed almost amplified coming from beneath the dash space.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Couver,

Thanks for posting the potential source. I will take a look tomorrow and see if securing the wire bundle makes my rattle go away. I did find a secondary (minor) source for one of my rattles. The 12V/cell phone car charger was loose and was causing a buzz/rattle but at a much lower volume than the one coming from the globe box area.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Problem w/ wire is that the rattle seems to be coming from end of wires that plugs into something else. It's very hard to stop the rattle if it's the plug etc parts, so I gave up on it. Hell, atleast I know where it's coming from.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE #2: I have driven a few times since I stuffed a rag next to the wires and the noise is gone! I am pretty sure that the noise was coming from the wire bundle where it goes through the firewall (possibly even caused by the bushing that the wires pass through). I am going come up with a more elegant solution (piece of neoprene instead of rag, silicone in the bushing, etc.), but consider this one resolved! Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the same noise. Rattles at low to moderate speed. Does not do it on the interstate. I will have to get under and do the rag trick. I will probally use some foam weather strip to try and stop it. Very anoying.:flame:
Toyota should not have this problem.:mofo:

·
Banned
126 Posts
I have the same problem on my FJ. I have a manual and it happens around 1000 rpms

·
Banned
126 Posts
Could someone put some pics up of how to get to where the wires are that are making the noise??

:ugh: Its DRIVING ME NUTS!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Slalomkayaker - I don't have a picture of this, but if you look under the glovebox you will see a shiny aluminum box on the right side - the wire bundle passes right next to this box and out through a large bushing in the firewall - you can't miss it. It is probably a good 1-inch in diameter; all the wires are bundled together, so it is not like you have to differentiate between several bundles - this is "the one." For a quick "test fix" try a rag or a piece of rubber or cardboard between the wires and the silver box to put a little pressure on the bundle. Once you are convinced that is the problem, you can take a closer look at a better fix. I am so happy with the rag solution that I haven't even gone back to look at it again yet!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Photo and Correction... Here is a photo of the wire bundle in question. I also noticed that I actually stuffed the rag between the fan housing and the wire bundle, not between the silver box and the wire bundle - sorry if this caused any confusion.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts